Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • A day in Shropshire – what to do?
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m dropping my bike off at Plush Hill Cycles, Church Stretton for its 6 week free service on Thursday (though its been more than 6 weeks since I got the bike). So I’ll be blowing the dust off the XC hardtail to kill a day round the local trials. Now I know I must do the Long Mynd, but what else would those in the know recommended? I could do a shorter route over the Long Mynd in the morning and head for one of the woods in the area? Or just do a longer route around the Mynd? I guess I’ll have a good 5 hrs, maybe 6 in total depending on morning traffic. Cheers.

remoterob
    Free Member

XC hardtail and location suggests Hopton Wood.

Karl33to
    Free Member

+1 for Hopton Woods, was up there over the weekend, ace little trail.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Hopton, Bringewood, Eastridge, the Wrekin or just make a big loop to the Styper Stones from the Mynnd.

walleater

If you are in Stretton and it’s a nice day, may as well stay on the Minge and make a day of it IMHO. It’s the perfect location for an XC hardtail and a packed lunch.

p7rich
    Free Member

Deffo Hopton. Get there.

mrhoppy

6 hours would see a loop over the Mynd and Stiperstones for a loop round Eastridge and back. Big day out mind.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

As always a plethora of good ideas! I’ll have to get me map out and see what’s doable in the time i’ll have. Though its an XC bike i’m not shy about pointing it down some of the more rougher and technical stuff – I just pick my way through rather than ride over it. Before I got my full susser I would tag along with a group of guys on AM bikes and do what they did, but just alot slower – but I’d make up lost ground on the way up. But plenty for me to look into. Thanks.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well, ended up having less time than originally intended, just 3 hrs, so did a loop up the Mynd, down the Minton Batch, back up to the top of the Mynd and down to Little Stretton. A really enjoyable ride, lots of climbing but two thumping good downhills too. Lucky with the weather considering the forecast. Would have loved to have done more, maybe next time! Some really good riding to be had in the area, and when I was climbing up the fire road through the forest, it looked like there were loads of secret trails too. All polished off with a pot of tea and a bacon cob! A really good day out.

Haze

An afternoon of hill repeats on the Asterton?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘A day in Shropshire – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.