Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • a day at Afan, which trail?
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Never been to Afan before, and am off down there in a couple weeks. only got time for 1 days riding though so whats the best trail or trails to ride?

I dont mind long rides with lots of climbing, and am ok on most techy things although rubbish at anything like huge jumps, massive dropoffs and thin northshore stuff! Can do things like glentress black no probs.

Cheers

Gambo
    Free Member

If you have a resonable level of fitness you should do most in one day. Start with Penhydd (1h-1h45m), straight into the wall(1h30-2h), ride over to glyncorrwg (about 20-25mins) then up whites level, do whites (1h-1h30) If you're feeling brave(read fit), back up whites climb, then skyline(3h-5h), ride back to afan (25mins). simples. 😀
    Or miss out whites climb for second time, ride back to afan, if your feeling good, do the wall for a second time.
    Enjoy. Won't see ya there. my riding buddy broke his wrist last Saturday 🙁

simon1975

Use the old car park to ride Penhydd in the morning. Then ride up the valley for lunch at DropOff cafe. Then ride The Wall which saves the best til last 🙂

There's nothing scary at Afan.

sheldona
    Free Member

Or you could just go
    Round Skyline, but rather than decending downt he last descent heading over to the top of the climb again follow W2, down Wall, round penhydd, back up wall across W2 and down whites to finsish, thats the whole lot execpt the Skylines last decent. Quite long but does flow nicely.

However, all the good parts of Skyline were closed last week so I'd go for W2 starting from Glycorrwg and if you're feeling good at the bottom of the wall ride round Penhydd before completing the W2. Job done! 38miles iirc!

fozzybear
    Free Member

depends how energetic you feel, White's trail is good, we climb back up and do skyline decent if any more energy… i would personally go over the Penhydd trail after the whites.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Don't ride to Glyncorrwg along the road, do W2 – links the Wall to Whites.

Depending on how fit you are, do W2 starting from Afan and then when you get back, do Penhydd if you're feeling fresh enough.

mcboo
    Free Member

W2 is about 4hrs including a nice break for lunch at Glyncorrwg. Is the Wall and Whites combined.

Dont do Skyline, way to much fire road boredom. Afan is pretty fun but sanitised. No surprises, nothing you cant do at speed and enjoy.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Oh and don't overeat at Glyncorrwg (very easily done, mental portions) if you're planning to ride on aftwerwards 🙂

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Agree, W2 is a great. But if you are an XC whippet then Skyline is a good 2 1/2 ride. If you like sceinic fireroad!

peteimpreza

And keep an eye on your bike. There have been loads of thefts there recently.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘a day at Afan, which trail?’ is closed to new replies.