Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • A cycling miscarriage of justice: WWSTWD?
  • mrhoppy

If you do decide to press on then you have to get the video footage from the corrupted files, without that there is nothing to go on. Fingerprints on the camera means nothing, they could be there because he picked it up and smashed it (and I don’t dispute your account) but they could just as easily be there because you dropped it and he picked it up. They aren’t the smoking gun you appear think they are and that’s assuming that there are prints available in a decent condition.

nickc

The fact he’s involved his solicitor screams “guilty”.

Would you let your painter and decorator take out a tooth..?

OP, what do you want as an outcome? From my view, I see this as a bit of effing and jeffing (from both sides) and some damage to your camera. If you are going to complain, 1. state clearly what you want “an apology and compensation for the damage to my camera” for example. 2. Get some legal help. get a professional view and some assistance for your complaint, at least to take some of the mental strain, and get an unbiased view as to whether they think it’s worth it.

don’t live your life as a reaction to other people, I hope you can resolve this, but however you decide to go-on. good luck, don’t let the bastards grind you down!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’d let it go. It’s not about being a doormat, it’s living your life on your terms and not letting outside factors grind you down. Totally agree with Keeley above, put your energy into dealing with your anger issues. There will still be idiots but your life will be better.

I was going to suggest the same. As much as it would pain me to let it go, I think ultimately it would be less painful than pursuing what seems like a lost cause.

Put it behind you, forget about it and get on with your life.

And you never know, an opportunity to gain revenge might well present itself, unexpectedly, at some point in the future.

tinribz
    Free Member

Taking it any further seems to out outweigh the cost to you.

You acted appropriately standing up for yourself and have done everything you can to get justice. Rationalise by not taking it personally, it could have been anyone on a bike, random people come everyone’s way, who knows what the guy has been through to act like that. You made him accoutable for his actions and I expect the solicitor resulted in a bigger financial loss for him as a result.

More than most would have done. Good work and onward to your next battle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Would you let your painter and decorator take out a tooth..?

He knows he’s in the wrong, is my point.

cookeaa

He knows he’s in the wrong, is my point.

True but sadly no longer the point for him, and admission of guilt at this point might bring with it further charges now this has been legally escalated. So of course he’s going to take advantage of the lack of evidence and the polices intransigent attitude.

As for the actual incident, I don’t think there’s anything to be gained by telling you to turn the other cheek. If someone comes up to you with unprompted abuse and threats there’s no real way to know how you will respond until you’re in the actual situation, so who are any of us to pass comment on your behaviour.

But in future I’d not tell them they’re “being recorded” or “on camera” its a red rag to a bull phrase (ref: half of YouTube) and you’ve no duty to inform them IMO, just allow dickhead to incriminate themselves, that’s the whole point of passive recording…

What I will say is that you shouldn’t let it take up a second more of your time and energy than it has to, the investigation is closed. I would lodge your complaint with the IPCC, let it run its course and then put the whole thing behind you.

There are things to be grateful in all of this, he didn’t follow through and smash your teeth in, and karma is sort of served by him probably having spent more with a solicitor than it would have cost to replace the property he damaged, funnily enough money he can’t now spend on better gates to secure his flock. Plus he’s probably now on the local plods radar for being an aggressive arse to strangers…

Ultimately you “win” more in this situation if you don’t let it affect you unduly. Sometimes easier said than done…

funkmasterp

Leave it a few month and then sneak on to his farm in the dead of night and shave bicycle component shapes in to all the sheep. If you’re not adept with the old shears simply make some templates and spray paint instead. Imagine his angry little face when he lets dolly and her friends out only to see handlebars, then a saddle, followed by a crank and then…..a 26” wheel!

captainclunkz
    Free Member

@ neil the wheel I have an old Go Pro you can have for free if you need a camera too replace the one the moron smashed. PM me if so. I live in Hexham.

ogri
    Free Member

You know where the farm is and where the livestock is kept behind piss-poor gates.I would be
    simmering for a few months before a night time visit in which i would endeavor to cause him a commensurate amount of anguish and loss.
    Yes its wrong,yes its a character flaw but i have to act upon it.
    Don’t do anything but please post if you do.You may have to use code,I suggest;
    “Broadsword calling Dannyboy,Broadsword calling Dannyboy,over”

anagallis_arvensis

You know where the farm is and where the livestock is kept behind piss-poor gates.

The sheep did nothing wrong leave them out of it

Poopscoop

Agree, as much as I’d consider some long game revenge I wouldn’t want the sheep (or him himself) to actually come to physical harm.

neilthewheel

Thanks for all your advice, funny and wise as usual. I may post a link to the corrupted video files and anyone who fancies a go, do your best.
    I will allow my 30-day Right to Review go through the process and I have been assigned a case officer for my official complaint so will work my way through this.
    Otherwise, an application for an historical but unrecorded Bridleway over the Moor where they were grazing those sheep has suddenly gone to the top of my list.

Superficial
    Free Member

TJ is right, the police are there to see if a criminal damage charge can be brought. But they probably do have better things to do that try to prove ‘beyond reasonable doubt’ that the guy smashed your camera. Even if they wanted to (hint: they don’t) this would be extremely difficult to prove. Don’t hold your breath expecting them to be useful.

However, the county courts (typically although incorrectly known as the small claims courts) look at cases ‘on the balance of probability’ and may find in your favour. It only costs £35 to make an online claim so I would probably do that A) because you may win the cost of the camera and B) because it’ll be an extra headache for that tosser. You can look up the guidelines online but an attempt to communicate with him first is generally preferred.

neilthewheel

@ captainklunkz thanks for your very kind offer.

hugo
    Free Member

The authorities are taking the path of least resistance.

If you don’t want to be ignored, make sure that path isn’t you.

Cougar

Village farmer and village copper? They’re probably drinking buddies.

Have a go with this:
    https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

FuzzyWuzzy

Are you sure you weren’t sheep rustling and had one under your arm? I can barely hear the ranting guy but the bleating sheep sounds like it’s right next to the mic…

duckman

anagallis_arvensis

Free Member

You know where the farm is and where the livestock is kept behind piss-poor gates.

The sheep did nothing wrong leave them out of it
    Posted 1 day ago

You have an ulterior motive here.

martinhutch

I can barely hear the ranting guy but the bleating sheep sounds like it’s right next to the mic…

I assumed he was ‘bleating out’ his own swear words!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘A cycling miscarriage of justice: WWSTWD?’ is closed to new replies.