Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • A couple of short bike videos
  • soundninjauk

So myself and a friend both got GoPros for Christmas…

[video]http://vimeo.com/43467431[/video]

[video]http://vimeo.com/43338710[/video]

Let me know what you think!

turtleheading
    Free Member

Whats the music from the first vid?

wl
    Free Member

Pretty dull. Soz, you did ask.

soundninjauk

Heh, I did indeed. Just as well they’re not too long huh?

The music in the first is the track ‘Flying Home’ from the soundtrack to the movie ‘Kick-Ass’.

woody2000

What’s with all the slow-mo? Just made it very boring to watch IMO. Quality’s good though, nicely edited too 🙂

wl
    Free Member

Can’t knock you for trying, though. If it’s any consolation, I reckon 99.9% of these types a vid are dull unless the riding/terrain are amazing or I know the people featured in them. If you had fun filming, that’s all that really matters.

soundninjauk

What’s with all the slow-mo? Just made it very boring to watch IMO. Quality’s good though, nicely edited too

The slow-mo helps with the fact that once you speed everything up the picture becomes significantly harder to watch as it’s bouncing around everywhere. Also (IMO) it provides a nice contrast when you do go back up to real time. Really I need to find a better way of filming off bike.

And thanks 🙂

If you had fun filming, that’s all that really matters.

That we did.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Well put together (graphics, music, transitions) but I feel that slow-mo is suited to 3rd person perspective when something is being emphasised like body position, drifting, etc.

Stick your GoPro on upside down and you can get more landscape in shot (I only just started doing this, works a treat) as we missed out on the view in the first vid.

I think there are more watchable trails at Swinley and leaving a bit more bike sound in helps give a sense of the riding.

However, as long as you like it that’s all that matters 🙂

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Bike videos are damned hard to make well. I have go-proed (is that a word?) a few shorts up over the years (climbing, kayaking and biking) and biking is defo the hardest to make look good. I think it struggles in 1st person unless you are following someone good or going really fast or doing something dumb/crazy (for dumb see 5:50 ish here

Like most things you defo get better as time goes by. Eg – 4 years ago and 1 year ago

The editing is pretty slick in the your videos. The shots are way more creative in the second vid. First vids? your doing well.

martinh
    Free Member

Second one has a bit more invention, good editing but too much slo mo

stratobiker
    Free Member

I thought they were pretty good.
    Well edited with some good shots and ideas.
    Keep at it I say.
    SB

robhughes
    Free Member

mattbibbings .Love that Pen Y Ghent Ghyll vid.
    That looks so much fun. 🙂

robsoctane
    Free Member

Hope you had fun making it because there’s a reason that it didn’t come out looking like Ian Rankin shot it and it’s nothing to do with gear.

As said before, transitions are clean and simple, well done.

Good luck and I hope to see more. 🙂

soundninjauk

Hope you had fun making it because there’s a reason that it didn’t come out looking like Ian Rankin shot it and it’s nothing to do with gear.

We did have fun, although I must admit I don’t follow the Ian Rankin reference? Are our skills not up to it, because if so then I’m fully aware that I’m not the worlds greatest mtb rider.

Thanks for the constructive criticism guys. I think it’s going to be a case of less slo-mo, better and more interesting angles, better riding, in fact just generally being better all round. Oh, and we’re definitely going to keep making them for ourselves…

grum
    Free Member

Love the opening shot in the second one. Apart from that not overly exciting, I think some panning shots on tripod would look good – you can get a tripod mount for the go pro, but to do nice smooth panning shots you need a tripod with fluid head which can be expensive.

lemonysam
    Free Member

This decade’s equivalent to hosting a slideshow it seems.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘A couple of short bike videos’ is closed to new replies.