A couple of muslim couriers…

Home Forum Chat Forum A couple of muslim couriers…

Viewing 45 posts - 91 through 135 (of 156 total)
  • A couple of muslim couriers…
  • +1. It’s seems to be the one segment of society that is excluded from the forum rules consistently.

Junkyard

Conspiracists also get a good mocking on here and probably worse- it like we mock irrational positions.
    this is no bad thing though it still has to stay civil
    Also much mockery of positions
    Hand wringers
    PC gone mad
    High horses
    loony Left
    Right wing fascistx/racists/EDL
    etc

there is much more banter than just on the religious and you can be quite rude about gypsies as well

gonefishin

Tell you what, we’ll all stop being ghastly to religious folk if they all stop being ghastly to those who don’t share their beliefs. Deal?

Being offended for religious reasons deserves no more attention or care than being offended for any other reason.

Not mine, but sums things up for me.

Perfectly fair to debate (don’t agree with mocking though) irrational positions (and different religions have certain positions that I personally find irrational or at least difficult to understand) but that is a very different point to being rude about people simply based on the fact that they may be religious.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

But as you say maybe it’s easy to simply misunderstand comments like the one highlighted?!?

Specifically, the comment you refer to isn’t saying the religious are stupid; quite the opposite, it is criticising the people who think that. That’s how it reads to me anyhoo, I could be wrong.

why is it ok to be rude and abusive towards religious people

It’s not, really. “Rude” is subjective perhaps, we’re all adults (for some value of) and I don’t really see an issue with light banter and differing opinion, but personal attacks are not on. Religion threads are moderated like any other, but we’re not about to start censoring stuff just because we don’t like or agree with the subject matter (as evidenced by the fact you still have football threads). I / we could be biased instead, but I guarantee you wouldn’t like it.

Plenty of people get warnings and bans for being unnecessarily unpleasant. Just because you can’t see it happening doesn’t mean it’s not there. I’d have thought that if anyone understood this concept, it’d be the religious. (-:

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

On the forum my partner modded, they had a thread stating who was banned/for how long/why.

Does concept this have a place on STW I wonder? Or is it a bit
    ?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Does concept this have a place on STW I wonder?

people would compete to be at the top.

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

all religiousns people are stupid

any better?

Pyro

As, almost ironically, Bernard Manning put it, religious people are fair game, because it’s a choice. Sex, race, orientation, those are things you can’t choose, so they’re taboo. Religion is a choice, and therefore open to ridicule.

As someone more-or-less said above as well, there is no such thing as “the right not to be offended”

Subscriber

What – compete to be banned? Well surely that wouldn’t last long?!

Premier Icon unklehomered
    Subscriber

But you can be religious and not believe things which are pushing the bounds of plausibility (world is n thousand years old where n is a number you can reassuringly count to on your hands). There are different levels of belief, and some are profound and some are silly, and require a real effort and outright dismissal of much of science and human knowledge to be maintained. Its hard to engage these and not mock, because to most people they really are very silly.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

On the forum my partner modded, they had a thread stating who was banned/for how long/why.

Does concept this have a place on STW I wonder?

Offhand I’d hazard that, given the Kevin The Teenagers response we already get from some people when they receive bans / warnings, such a thread would only serve as ammunition for them. “I got three days and he did the same thing and only got two, it’s so unfair and I hate you,” or something.

Like the final line of the first reply cougs,(!!) but as you say I must have misread the highlighted quote even though JY hasn’t presented your interpretation. May be that will follow. But hard to see that calling someone stupid is not rude IMO. Anyway, over and out.

P.s. not in favour of censoring subject (see EDL threads etc) as the comments speak volumes in themselves.

Subscriber

It is possible I had a little strop like that once. Interestingly when I talked to you about it later you had a different opinion of things, but I digress.

Anyhooooo….

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Getting a bike fit is a choice – does that mean we can mock those folk too?

Premier Icon unklehomered
    Subscriber

Surely yes, like wise for not getting bike fit.

Also, your shoes are stoopid. 😀

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Tell you what, we’ll all stop being ghastly to religious folk if they all stop being ghastly to those who don’t share their beliefs. Deal?

Hang on – you want ALL religious people to stop being ghastly? Cos most of them already have. Not really fair to be ghastly to the decent ones just because someone entirely different is being ghastly, is it?

Do you like being abused by motorists just because you’re a cyclist?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

molgrips wrote:

Hang on – you want ALL religious people to stop being ghastly? Cos most of them already have. Not really fair to be ghastly to the decent ones just because someone entirely different is being ghastly, is it?

That’s OK. We’re not ALL being ghastly to religious folk either so it balances out.

molgrips – Member

Exactly, their are loads of decent religious folk. It seems like they’re a bit of an obvious/easy target for many on here though. However, I get lambasted for ripping the piss out of middle aged men who can’t bunnyhop their five grand mountain bikes.

gonefishin

Have all the different christian and mulsim sects stopped being ghastly to homosexuals? I must have missed that in the news which is a surprise given how big a story that would be.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Have all the different christian and mulsim sects

I don’t think you need to limit yourself to either those specific religions or, frankly, only religious people when it comes to homophobia?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Interestingly when I talked to you about it later you had a different opinion of things

I get that a lot.

TBH, it’s all subjective. What I’ve presented here is my take on the matter, other mods may disagree. But there’s no “one size fits all” rulebook so we just have to try and make the right decisions. I’d like to think we’re at least reasonably successful most of the time.

gonefishin

I don’t think you need to limit yourself to either those specific religions or, frankly, only religious people when it comes to homophobia?

No but thanks to their priviliged position in society they do get to shout about it the loudest and have their opinions seriously listened to.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

A Penguin worshipper paying tribute.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Sure, but the difference there is that those other people don’t have a big book and blokes in frocks telling them to do it en masse.

For instance,

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBA6qlHW8po[/video]

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Was it him or the penguin that got over excited?

yunki

I blame fatcha.. And while we’re on the subject, I haven’t worked out how to quote people’s posts using this new fangled smartphone, so may I just point out to teamhurtmore that all tory breath smells of dog poo

I’m off to start the “a couple of atheist postpeople…” thread.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Have all the different christian and mulsim sects stopped being ghastly to homosexuals?

A lot of Christians have stopped being ghastly to homosexuals yes. So can you stop being ghastly to them please? What’s that? You don’t know which ones they are?

Well that’s my point, isn’t it.

gonefishin

A lot of Christians have stopped being ghastly to homosexuals yes

The vast majority of christian churches have not stopped being ghastly to homosexuals and any individuals who have might do better to speak up a bit more and criticise their leaders.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

But STW still likes to deride all religious people for being stupid, regardless of their actual views.

Subscriber

I know I’m stupid:)

Junkyard

I must have misread the highlighted quote even though JY hasn’t presented your interpretation.

I had to re read this thread to see what was being discussed- I did not realise it was that comment tbh

I assume it is pretty clear I am mocking those who are saying that all religious people are stupid rather than I am saying it.
    I accept it is not that clear and open to interpretation
    I was not and nor would I ever say the religious are stupid in general even though that one belief is.

Knowing whether a person believes in a religion tells you nothing about how bright they are.

Mr Woppit

seems to be revolving around New Earth creationists rather than Muslims specifically / generally.

I thought it interesting that some christian gibberish seems to have leaked into one of the other monotheistic nonsenses.

A sort of intra-superstition meme, if you will.

A Penguin worshipper paying tribute.

Heretic!!!

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven penguin, or any likeness of any penguin that is on the moon above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth (possible fracking thread crossover!). Thou shalt not bow down thyself to other flightless birds, nor serve them: for I the Penguin thy God am a jealous Penguin, visiting chocolate biscuits of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

— Penguidus 20:4-6 (KJV)

JY – sorry I obviously DID misread your comment! I agree with your final comment – there is no correlation either way between religious faith and intelligence.

crikey

But STW still likes to deride all religious people for being stupid, regardless of their actual views.

…is more like it, really! 😀

Tom_W1987

So they were in line almost half of Americans

http://www.classwarfareexists.com/gallup-46-of-americans-believe-earth-has-existed-only-10000-years/

I’m going to estimate that I’ve taught Big bang Theory to several hundred Muslims. This included calculating the age of the Universe from 1/H. Not one has ever questioned the age of the Universe or anything else about the theory. Well except sensible scientific questions. But that wouldn’t have made a very interesting thread would it.

Yeah well, I know a evangelical Geologist who believes the earth is thousands of years old.

I’m not even **** kidding.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI9ImScQGAo[/video]

gonefishin

Well I for one certainly criticise irrational beliefs, but I’m not aware of ever having called some stupid. The irony of you criticising STW for having a single view whilst also criticising me for treating all religious people the same has however made me chuckle.

Tom_W1987

What – compete to be banned? Well surely that wouldn’t last long?!

You’d be suprised. It took me 10 years of concerted effort and 89 bannings before I was perma-banned from a reasonably popular forum.

jekkyl

but all religious people are stupid, I’m confused!

Viewing 45 posts - 91 through 135 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘A couple of muslim couriers…’ is closed to new replies.