Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • A couple of iPhone questions?
  • badgerbater
    Free Member

Q1 Daughter has just smashed her iphone 6s screen. Fortunately the screen and phone still function. Has anyone had any good reports of DIY fitting one of these cheap oem screens? If so can anyone recommend any particular sellers?

Q2 Just started using an auxiliary cable plugged into an iPhone SE in my car to listen to Spotify, etc. Only problem is when I receive a call, the phone thinks it’s connected to earphones (I think) and the connected voice cannot be heard through the cars speakers. I haven’t tried making any calls yet in this configuration. Any settings that can be changed to get around this? I’ve had problems before like this, when I’ve had to select the bluetooth speaker to be used via the phone, rather than the phone’s earpiece; I suspect this is a similar issue. The car is a 10yr old Honda CR-V, if this helps.

Thanks

easily
    Free Member

I think I can answer Q2. This changed recently with ios13, and it’s well hidden.

1. go to ‘settings’

2. go to ‘accessibility’ (I don’t remember exactly where, but it’s a few below ‘general’)

3. go to ‘touch’

4. scroll right to the bottom where you will see ‘Call Audio Routing’. There are 3 options: automatic, bluetooth headset, and speaker.

I hope this works

As to Q1, I’ve not replaced a 6s screen, but I’ve replace a few iPhone screens fro friends and relatives. I’ve usually just taken it to a repair stall at the local market. They’ve usually been quite cheap and I’ve never had reports of any problems.

badgerbater
    Free Member

@easily thanks for your responses. I’ve located the ‘call audio routing’ and this was sent to automatic. I’ve changed this to bluetooth. Not sure if this is the correct setting ie what you think it should be set to. But I’ll give it a try to see if this sorts itself out. As for the screen replacement. Having looked at the faf required on a youtube video, your suggestion on taking it to a repair stall, would seem like the best way to go! Many thanks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jb72
    Free Member

Replacement screen

I fitted one of these the other week … bit fiddly .. just depends how confident you are.

euain

Replacing the 6s screen is fine. I ended up doing 3 in the space of a week when my daughter dropped her phone twice and the son once. Wee bit fiddly.

You’ll need a pentalobe (I think it is) screwdriver and some small cross-head ones. Suction thing useful to start getting the old screen off. Many of the screens come bundled with tools – may be handy if you don’t have them lying about.

Lay the screws out in order somewhere they won’t get lost. I followed instructions from iFixit which were simple enough. I also labelled the screws by step number (well scribbled on the paper they were sitting on) so they were easy to identify.

By the 3rd screen, I just put whatever was cheapest on Amazon or eBay on the phones. Seem to work OK. Some come with home buttons attached etc – but you need to swap the existing one over anyway if you want fingerprints to still work.

Cougar

Q1 – it’s worth chancing your arm booking a Genius appointment. Lay it on thick about how much she loves Apple, how she uses her phone every day for all sorts of things and is absolutely distraught about breaking it but you simply can’t afford a new one just at the moment.

You might get lucky – my then-partner did a few years back, the guy in the store essentially told her what to say in order to get a free replacement.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve just had my iPhone X screen replaced FOC when out of warranty by Apple. Thought i’d chance it expecting them to tell me to foxtrot Oscar and charge their usual rate to replace the screen, but they did it FOC. This was after being fobbed off by someone at an iPhone store too, so I went to their website and booked a repair appointment, they sent me a box in the post and sent it away for a few days and came back all shiny and new with no charge.

Might be pushing it with an iPhone 6s, but they might give you a reduced price repair option or something if you have other Apple products registered with them. We have loads between my wife and I’s personal work and personal iPhones, hers and the kids iPads, a couple of watches and an iMac plus two of us paying a couple of quid a month for additional iCloud memory. Must influence their decision on things like this.

Cougar

I don’t know for sure, but I rather got the impression that the “Geniuses” have an allocation that they’re allowed to dole out at their discretion.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Q1 – tbh our local guy fits the for £30, I’m happy to pay the £10 labour over a £20 self-fit.

Also, if you didn’t already know, non-Apple screens are all terrible, if it’s a good one it will be a tiny bit grainier than an OE one, usually a bit darker and it will be far, far, less robust basically any sort of drop=crack and it will just get worse.

If you get a bad one it will run very warm and drain the battery in hours.

You can’t get good quality screens from anyone bar Apple, the don’t sell parts to 3rd parties and 3rd parties don’t brand their screens through fear of legal problems with Apple so the only competition between manufacturers is price. When they were £80 they were better, now they’re £20 they’re really poor.

wukfit
    Free Member

Screen replacement is a doddle (you want to buy a loaded digitiser to keep it really easy), undo 6 screws unplug 3 plugs… plug 3 plugs of new digitiser in, do up 6 screws….done!
    That said, I find the cheap £20ish ones sit a bit proud and are more prone to smashing (wife did 3 in 6 months), I then opted for a £40ish one and it was a lot better and has been over a year now

Sandwich

If doing it at home the home button needs to be transferred from the old screen to the new one else you’ll be entering a password to unlock for the rest of its life. I haven’t done a glued screen yet but some form of heat will be required to loosen the glue before opening it up. As mentioned above iFixit is the goto place for maintaing phones and computers at home. Their parts when available are expensive but well made and the batteries are a known quantity for example.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for all your responses. I’ll have to see what the local phone shop charges to fix it before I decide if the DIY option is worth the aggro. Wondering if some of the more expensive ‘refurbished” screens on Ebay are worth the outlay; one I reviewed, claimed it had the apple logo on the back!

Cougar

Wow, thanks for all your responses.

It’s a shame you didn’t read some of them. (-:

badgerbater
    Free Member

@Cougar I read all the comments. I’m not sure what a Genius appointment is. Do you have to book that through a local iphone store or is this done online or by phone? It just sounded a bit of a long shot.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘A couple of iPhone questions?’ is closed to new replies.