Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • A collision involving a pedestrian and a car
  • aracer
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

You are obviously trying to make some sort of point here?

wwaswas

my local paper used to always put ‘cyclist who collided with car’ as the wording.

I started putting comments under every article saying that it implied fault.

Don;’t know if one of their lawyers saw it but they’ve more circumspect recently.

rogg
    Free Member

If it says ‘collision’ I tend to infer that two vehicles (of some description) are involved. Although if a pedestrian walks into the side of your car, clearly they have collided with it. I’d think they are just struggling for a universally understood description of the incident. ‘An incident, involving a pedestrian and a car’ could mean anything.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah – I’d have thought it quite obvious what.

crazy-legs

Point being that cyclist collisions are usually referred to with subtle victim-blaming comments like: “The cyclist, who was not wearing a helmet, …”
    whereas pedestrian ones are much more neutral or, if biased, usually assume the driver is at fault.

The other one that annoys me is “The car left the road” as if the car had decided of its own volition that being on the road was a bit boring.
    It should read: “as a result of the driver being unable to control their vehicle, probably through driving like a cock, the vehicle left the road”

cynic-al
    Free Member

Here, the car driver is “blamed” for hitting the ped, but the cyclist collision is reported in a non-fault way.

Still bias, but not as bad.

bails

One that I’ve seen a lot is “a cyclist was in collision with a car”. Which doesn’t even seem right grammatically, and certainly seems to heap blame on the cyclist. Rather than the neutral “a collision involving a cyclist and a car”.

bails

A bungalow was in collision with a car”.

An investigation into the cause of the crash is under way.

“It just jumped out in front of me officer”

DezB
    Free Member

This is the important bit

The cyclist, a man from the Evesham area, suffered serious, life threatening injuries and is being treated at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham.

The driver of the Volvo, from the Chipping Campden area, was uninjured.

nickjb
    Free Member

I thought this one in the Bristol post was quite odd:

A FEMALE pedestrian has died after colliding with a lorry

I suspect the collision was more the lorry colliding with her than the other way.

nealglover
    Free Member

Yeah – I’d have thought it quite obvious what.

I’m not sure it is ?

miketually
    Free Member

The other one that annoys me is “The car left the road” as if the car had decided of its own volition that being on the road was a bit boring.

@KatsDekker on Twitter often links to these. She calls them #driverless cars.

aracer
    Free Member

Interestingly the wording has been changed in the follow up article – it appears she did collide with the car!

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/10100838.Woman_stable_after_Spetchley_Road_collision/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘A collision involving a pedestrian and a car’ is closed to new replies.