Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A Chinook overfies me nearly everyday…
  • nickc

This raises some questions. it’s headed north, I live near Northampton, I wonder where it goes, and why I never seem to see it going back…and, I thought they needed all the Chinooks they could lay their hands on in Afghanistan, but mostly I wonder who it was that ever imagined you could creep up on some-one using a Chinook, as it has to be the loudest thing in the world, I can still hear it just, after 5 minutes or so….

Friday afternoon…..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dunno, but I’d run for cover, they’re renowned for having gearbox failures, so much so the millitary have a derogatory nickname for them, I forget what though. Damn.

wwaswas

I think the sky’s too big for flying things to be allowed to roam at will so they create really narrow ‘lanes’ to bunch them all up and increase the chances of mid-air collissions.

your one’s probably in the ‘fly this way’ lane over you and the ‘fly that way’ one is some distance away.

nickc

This is too weird, another one going overhead right now, but GOING THE OTHER WAY!!!!!

pass me the tin foil hat.

wwaswas

is it the same one reversing?

TooTall
    Free Member

nick – we have to train people – before they fly them somewhere dangerous.

I don’t know anyone who ever thought you could creep up on anyone / anything in a Chinook – why do you think anyone would think that??

coffeeking
    Free Member

Lol I too never thought a chinook would be used to sneak about, its hardly a fast attack stealth copter is it 😀

redthunder
    Free Member

They fly over me everyday and Apaches.

redthunder
    Free Member

it’s the arrows that bug me 😉 IGMC

Offroading
    Free Member

There’s an old military base near me – the RAF use it for trainning sometimes, seen Herc’s landing there and helicopters reguarly trainning there too – so maybe there is something similar near you ?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

"This is too weird, another one going overhead right now, but GOING THE OTHER WAY!!!!!

pass me the tin foil hat. "

Prince Harry’s just been to the shops 😉

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

offroading, dare I ask where that is?

Nick, they often come in past my office at roof level – makes the whole building seem like it’s shaking!

Pippin
    Free Member

wouldn’t worry too much about it.

One time I was out on my SS an apache stalked me all the way up the Ogwen valley – now that is worrying…

waihiboy
    Free Member

they often fly over our way probably dropping some of the lads of in the secret base in Hereford 😉

always fly at night, bloody noisy things!

MrSparkle

On horseback or on foot?

Offroading
    Free Member

Im ooop north near Edinburgh. Couple years back the Army decided to do a night battle practice or something – flares going off, blank rounds getting fired off. Was all a bit exciting tbh.

There’s a chopper up and about every couple of weeks messing around – they lift landrovers etc

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Well they are very fast for a copper(not many others can keep up) and when flown in the right way can be quite sneaky. Very noisy up close, lots of vibration and the downforce when in the hover is a tad drafty 😀

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

we used to get chinooks flying over my house in yorkshire…they used to carry tanks and land rovers and artillery…we were worried about them falling onto our house seeing as they were not far of hitting trees…and they moved the fly rootby about 100 meters…i think most of the british forces are still over here…i live neer the army training range in northyorshire…i have been followed by an apache before aswell when i was on my bike…i think it must be good practice for them…or fun to see how long before we freak out?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A Chinook overfies me nearly everyday…’ is closed to new replies.