Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • A Bridge Too Far…
  • richmtb

No not the film

BoJo is apparently keen on the idea of a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland.

It begs the question what the **** for?

Portpatrick to Larne is the suggested route:

The bridge, made of steel and concrete, would consist of two levels – one for cars and one for a railway.

Part of it could be a tunnel too, as a way of dealing with the offshore dumpsite Beaufort’s Dyke.

Unexploded World War Two bombs are believed to be one of the risks of the project, which lie near the dump.

An artificial island around 2.5 miles long and 500 yards wide is likely to link the bridge to the tunnel.

Under one version of Boris’ plan, the bridge would run from the Scottish coast over the trench, before becoming a tunnel for the final stretch to Northern Ireland.

Local geography might even dictate the need for two artificial islands to span the North Channel.

I get that BoJo is keen to be seen to be spending money on Scotland as a way of fending off cries for independence (best of luck with that), but given his previous track record on bridges and the general stupidity of the idea, I’m struggling to understand how the money (even on an initial assessment) couldn’t be spent better elsewhere.

fasthaggis

I hope it’s a garden bridge,the last one in London enriched the lives of so many people.

perchypanther
    Free Member

As previously suggested on the main Boris thread

We should have three bridges

Ardrossan to Brodick

Arran to Campbelltown

Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse to Norn Iron.

Probably cheaper. Enough change left to build a wall up the middle of the English Channel. Probably.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pie in the skye.

Harry_the_Spider

Massive bullshitter talks massive bullshit.

Not going to happen.

kilo

Can’t see it ever being built for numerous reasons.

The sea, oh the sea, oh a gradh geal mo chroide
    Long may it stay between England and me
    It’s a sure guarantee that some hour we’ll be free
    Thank God we’re surrounded by water…

richmtb

We should have three bridges

Well its not any dafter than having one. It avoids Beauforts Dyke and means the journey from Glasgow to Belfast would be a bit shorter.

But you still have to wonder what the point is (beyond bread and circuses). Bridges or tunnels are generally a good idea when you have a load of people on either side of a sea/ river/ mountain who need to get to the other side. I might be wrong but I don’t see a huge pent up demand for moving people between Northern Ireland and Scotland.

That’s before you consider potential border issues brought about be the Brexit settlement in NI.

ratherbeintobago

Not going to happen.

This. General engineering opinion seems to be that this can’t be done, even before such small issues as Irish railways using a different track gauge are taken into account.

kimbers

Staffing taxpayer money up the wall for a political gimmick , it’s a Johnson signature move

perchypanther
    Free Member

Well its not any dafter than having one

It is.

Because nuclear submarines.

P-Jay
    Free Member

He’s got form for dodgy bridge schemes hasn’t he?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

It sounds more like a good idea as a way of joining 2 separate parts of future EU regions.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Irish railways using a different track gauge

That would be a rather amusing cockup to discover at the completion of the project.

mashr

Can the bridge have a nice garden on it? I believe he’s an expert at those

richmtb

It is.

Because nuclear submarines.

Nah just make the Crinan Canal wider and deeper while were are building all these bridges.

Where’s you ambition Perchy? We’ll never “level up” Britain and enjoy sunlit post Brexit uplands with attitudes like that.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Nah just make the Crinan Canal wider and deeper while were are building all these bridges.

Where’s you ambition Perchy? We’ll never “level

It’d need to be the Forth and Clyde Canal.

I’d pay good money to see an Astute class sub on the Falkirk Wheel.

richmtb

I’d pay good money to see an Astute class sub on the Falkirk Wheel.

With the added bonus that a nuclear accident in the area is likely to go unnoticed

perchypanther
    Free Member

With the added bonus that a nuclear accident in the area is likely to go unnoticed

That sort of improvement would be a big boost to Boris’s ratings.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The only demand from Belfast to Glasgow and vice versa is old firm fans, and I wouldnt wish them on the many good friends I have on Arran.

I’d much prefer a bridge from southerness across to Silloth, now yer talking.

binners

Joris Bohnsons ideas for airports and bridges and stuff have a certain familiar ring to them….

null

frankconway

An old article about dumping in and around Beaufort’s Dyke.
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg14820042-200-danger-from-the-deep/

richmtb

The only demand from Belfast to Glasgow and vice versa is old firm fans, and I wouldnt wish them on the many good friends I have on Arran

I wouldn’t wish them on people I don’t even like on Arran!

fasthaggis

Not going to happen.

Now hang on a minute there, I am sure with a big helping of that Brexit ‘can do’ attitude and some of our top level consultants* working on this project ,this is going to be a winner.

*Namely Kelvin and Damien from the garden bridge brief .

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s not the bridge that’s the real problem here.

It’s all the forms that you’ll need to fill out  before you cross it.

slowoldman

Well “leading architects” say it’s feasible.

Harry_the_Spider

Can’t we just build an enormous canon and fire Boris in to the sun?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Scottish independence and Irish reunification might affect London’s jurisdiction over the bridge

eddie11
    Free Member

It’s his equivalent of trumps wall. Please don’t give it air time. Instead ask what cock up he’s distracting from today.

Del

That. Just another dead cat.

martinhutch

Can’t we just build an enormous canon and fire Boris in to the sun?

Protestant or Catholic canon?

dc1988

Better than HS2?

crazy-legs

Another pile of total crap, like everything he says. He’ll be trying to distract from something. Election interference, HS2 half cancellation, a retraction of some promise or other.

gordimhor

Hmmm maybe Boris was thinking of Beauforts Dyke when he said he’d die in a ditch

maccruiskeen

This. General engineering opinion seems to be that this can’t be done

people in this country have had enough of experts

crazy-legs

Protestant or Catholic canon?

Water cannon. Another one of Boris’s triumphs…

kayak23

Can’t we have one to Europe instead?

crazy-legs

From Twitter:

Corbyn: I think we should make broadband free.
    Media: Madman, utter insanity, it could never work.

Johnson: I want to build a 30-mile bridge across a 1000-foot-deep stretch of water that has a load of explosives dumped somewhere at the bottom.
    Media: Jolly good old chap! When?

db

Its free trade I think. He has just realised he needs to be more connected with Europe for the future fantastic trade deal and when Ireland unites a bridge or a tunnel to Europe is what he wants…

…whats that you say.. a tunnel.. to Europe, already… bugger

Waderider
    Free Member

Hello, civil engineer here, born in Northern Ireland but happily escaped (by ferry).

Bridge is probably unfeasible because of water depth – imagine how you’d engineer each pier.

This bridge is a political dead cat. Brexit has disgruntled the Unionists given their treatment by the scumbag Torys. A referendum on a United Ireland creeps closer due to Brexit, population demographics, the precedents set in Scotland, and even the recent success of Sinn Fein.

The proposed bridge is a tool for placating unionists on the island of Ireland. Side benefit is that it gives the Tories something upbeat to talk about while they fail the UK.

Waderider
    Free Member

Hello, civil engineer here, born in Northern Ireland but happily escaped (by ferry).

Bridge is probably unfeasible because of water depth – imagine how you’d engineer each pier.

This bridge is a political dead cat. Brexit has disgruntled the Unionists given their treatment by the scumbag Torys. A referendum on a United Ireland creeps closer due to Brexit, population demographics, the precedents set in Scotland, and even the recent success of Sinn Fein.

The proposed bridge is a tool for placating unionists on the island of Ireland. Side benefit is that it gives the Tories something upbeat to talk about while they fail the UK.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘A Bridge Too Far…’ is closed to new replies.