Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)
  • A Bridge too far- the best made war film ever?
  • gwaelod
    Free Member

Enemy at the Gates was good as was Kajiki

I should watch Bridge too Far again soon, not seen it for donkeys years.

budgierider67

Attack! with Jack Palance & Lee Marvin.

stumpy01

Das Boot is good

Saving Private Ryan

Jarhead was good too

kimbers

does Dr Strangelove count?
    Das Boot
    Apocalypse Now
    FMJ
    Platoon
    I actually really like Starship Troopers too

CaptJon
    Free Member

The Imitation Game
    Fury
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Good Morning Vietnam

dragon
    Free Member

Zulu
    Empire of the Sun
    Apocalypse Now
    Platoon
    Thin Red Line

Guns of Naverone always seemed a favour growing up, but I bet it looks naff now.

pennine
    Free Member

Went the day well

The Cruel Sea
    My father was in the Royal Navy & took part in the Battle of the Atlantic. Like the Compass Rose his ship was torpedoed with large loss of life. He was picked up two days later.

senorj

Come and see – should be part of school curriculum… Brilliant film. Totally agree with fin25(?) on the first page.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Reach For The Sky
    The Dam Busters
    The Cruel Sea
    Schindler’s List
    A Bridge Too Far
    Where Eagles Dare
    The Great Escape

parkesie
    Free Member

Soviets in afghanistan.

The Beast

rosscore
    Free Member

Inglorious basterds ranks right up there with Fury as probably the worse war films ever made imv and a stain on Brad Pitts career.

On the other hand I quite enjoyed Monuments Men.

Best war movie for me? Battle of Britain not least because half our sixth form were extras in it.

stu170
    Free Member

2 that haven’t been mentioned which I love are hamburger hill, Vietnam film. And 9th company, soviets in Afghanistan.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

My Uncle was at Arnhem he was in the Border regiment (Gliders) and his glider was the first on the ground at Arnhem their platoon commander was killed before they hit the ground, he fought around the Brickworks at Renkum and was eventually seriously wounded by a morter round. He was taken prisoner and a German Army surgeon cut the shrapnel out of his back with no anesthetic and probably saved his life – he was 22 years old. We have much to be thankful for.

DezB
    Free Member

Inglorious basterds ranks right up there with Fury as probably the worse war films ever made

I like them both. Became trendy to slag them off, but both have some great scenes. Definitely not “worst ever made” I wouldn’t think.

greentricky
    Free Member

Not been mentioned but I founf Korengal really intense

wrecker
    Free Member

Tough to see past Platoon. A masterpiece. Loved FMJ too.

colournoise

DezB – Member
    Inglorious basterds ranks right up there with Fury as probably the worse war films ever made
    I like them both. Became trendy to slag them off, but both have some great scenes. Definitely not “worst ever made” I wouldn’t think.

All about context and expectation.

Not seen Fury, but Inglorious Basterds is (IMO) a great war film. Not gritty, realistic or accurate but a great film (as are pretty much all of Tarantino’s films – always love to see the work of a director who is in love with cinema) set in wartime.

TheFlyingOx

I really liked Clint Eastwood’s “Letters From Iwo Jima”. They say history is written by the winners, but this is history from the other side. Very good indeed, and much better than its sister film “Flags Of Our Fathers”.

Also, “A Midnight Clear” for the whole banality of war with a bit of ‘oh, for **** sake’ thrown in.

Special mentions to:
    Good Morning Vietnam
    The Railway Man
    Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
    Enemy At The Gates
    Jakob The Liar
    Schindler’s List

grtdkad

I ‘enjoyed’ Fury, if that’s the appropriate description. Thought the plot and reality of war was plausible and gave you a sense of what it felt like in a tank regiment.

richmars

633 Squadron just for the planes.

maddyutah

Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of war,South Korean film would recommend it

gobuchul
    Free Member

A Bridge Too Far has a Leopard tank crossing the bridge.

Fury is terrible.

Not a movie but Band of Brothers is amazing. The Pacific is pretty good to.

Drac

I enjoyed Fury the first time but watched it since and decided I must have been drunk the first time as it’s pretty bad.

Ingloreus Bastards is one of my favorites and one of the best movies there is.

Good list of war films there I’m going to add Schindler’s List

aP
    Free Member

The Beast
    Ran
    The life and death of Colonel Blimp
    The four feathers

cobrakai

I class a good film as one that if I see when channel surfing I’ll watch it again and again. By that criteria;

Downfall
    Platoon
    Saving private Ryan

But the most accurate films to capture squaddie humour for me are;

Dog soldiers (woeful otherwise)
    Kajaki (frustrating)

Drac

Dog Soldiers is ace full of Geordie humour. 😀

cobrakai

“I hope I give you the shits” nailed it for me.

Drac

A classic line.

It’s a play on when someone is eating something or drinking something and you can’t, the response being “I hope it gives you the shits.”

Houns

Another one for the barstewards and dog soldiers

A lot here to watch, if the weather wasn’t so nice today I’d be ticking a few off

stewartc
    Free Member

Mosquito Squadron
    Platoon
    Bridge over the River Kwai

But always Das Boot for that gritty realism.

ninfan
    Free Member

The Longest Day, which remains (with the exceptions of John Wayne’s piss poor contribution playing a man who was half his age, and Sean Conneries lamentable attempt at an Irish accent) an utterly remarkable film for its ambition in telling different aspects of the story and its attempt at accuracy, employing so many of those who were really there as advisors.

Waterloo – for the sheer scale of the battle scenes “Raise high the black flags children, no pity, no prisoners…”

Come and See, for being just, well, haunting, in its portrayal of the work of the german death squads as they advanced in to Russia

Peter Watkins 1964 version of Culloden

but the best of all: Went the day well

DezB
    Free Member

I have a book… 🙂

mans
    Free Member

The Killing Fields.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

All quiet on the Western Front gets it for me .

Off topic slightly but I thought the over the top scene at the end of Blackadder was really moving and very well done

DrJ

Inglorious basterds ranks right up there with Fury as probably the worse war films ever made imv and a stain on Brad Pitts career.

FTFY

jimjam
    Free Member

Inglorious Basterds is a couple of good scenes loosely thrown together. Too long and completely self indulgent.

duncancallum

Das Boot has to be the best, its just unbelievably atmospheric.

What about master and commander? not war filmy enough.

Battle of britain-so many aircraft it was by numbers the 35th largest air force in the world.
    ;:
    Oh and Bridge to far has the best line in any war film:
    Major Harry Carlyle: We haven’t the proper facilities to take you all prisoner! Sorry!
    SS Panzer Officer: [confused] What?
    Major Harry Carlyle: We’d like to, but we can’t accept your surrender! Was there anything else?

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Kajaki was really good but so tense found I couldn’t watch half of it! 633 squadron and The Guns of Naverone. The start of Saving Private Ryan I thought was absolutely outstanding.

Houns

Ha! Funny you should say that… on the back of this thread I watched Kajaki again this afternoon, I skipped a lot of it due to the tension

joefm

I thought Fury was alright, bit hollywood in places but tanks and AP. Some good filming.

The book it was loosely based on is a bit contentious.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘A Bridge too far- the best made war film ever?’ is closed to new replies.