Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • A Brexit fable…
  • oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Here you go Mr Brexiteer i give you 100 pennies, one penny is a magic “fish” penny now this magic penny is worth much more than 40 “EU” pennies.. so i will keep the 40 worthless pennies and you can have your magic penny.

intheborders
    Free Member

Brilliant, but accurate.

Looks like Barnier is playing a blinder (for the EU).

Kryton57

Explanation for the simpletons please?

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

We are cutting our nose off to spite our face over fishing?

Or we are fighting tooth and nail for a very small bit of GDP (magic penny)that we actually sell most of that GDP to the EU then letting the big GDP disappear

It simply confirms how retarded this country is.

stevextc
    Free Member

Every fish penny comes with a magic unicorn

stumpy01

…and a blue passport!

pondo

They must be laughing their collective arses off at our fish obsession.

tomhoward

My favourite analogy was the stock broker who gave up his job to enable him to give his son a lift on a paper round.

frankconway

Posted a few weeks ago on t’other brexit thread…
    UK exports about 80% of it’s fish catch to the EU; most of the fish eaten in the UK is imported from the EU.
    This is the hill on which a trade deal will fall; complete lunacy; absolute fking madness.

rickmeister

UK exports about 80% of it’s fish catch to the EU; most of the fish eaten in the UK is imported from the EU.

Is this some sort of take back cod troll?

thepurist

Lolz. First plaice prize for that!

Poopscoop

Shhhhh…. Don’t break the spell.

That magic penny will be touted (trouted?) as being the be all and end all and *totally* worth it to cult members.

Shhhhhh….

matt_outandabout

Brill joke.
    Eel go far.

boobs

Cod almighty.

I’m a beginner, be nice

slowoldman

Whale I’m still whiting for a sole advantage of Brexit to appear.

LeeW

The UK is never going to be the plaice Brexiteers want it to be if we get fishy delas like this.

frankconway

UK definitely floundering in the negotiations; time to turbo(t) charge them.

FB-ATB

Stuck between a rock salmon and a hard plaice

b230ftw
    Free Member

So why don’t we just eat the fish we catch?

tillydog
    Free Member

So why don’t we just eat the fish we catch?

Apparently it’s the wrong type of fish.

The stuff the French like to eat lives in our sea, and the stuff we like to eat lives in theirs.

johnx2
    Free Member

We mainly eat white fish, daftly mackerel being food of the gods. They eat all sorts and like frozen.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Cos we’re peasants who pretty much only eat cod, ‘addock and plaice.

Ie the stuff that Johnny foreigner catches.

frankconway

Mackerel and sardines are volume catches in UK waters but the great british public don’t much like them; the french do so we export.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Are those figures for fish caught in UK waters or fish landed at UK ports?

tillydog
    Free Member

Fishy data:

https://thefishingdaily.com/featured-news/report-shows-seafood-imports-into-the-uk-from-eu-countries-increase-in-2019/

Deep fishy data:

https://www.seafish.org/insight-and-research/market-supply-data-and-insight/

(I would guess that it is catches landed in the UK, but not certain without digging into the second link – which I don’t have the appetite for!)

Edit – FrankConway’s link is better.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m a beginner, be nice

Don’t you worry, everyone here loves boobs.

frankconway

greyspoke – here’s a link for you which provides headline numbers; if you then click on the full report Section 4 provides detail on the trade in fish – showing imports/exports by type and country.
    We are a net importer (no pun intended) of cod but we also export some; same applies to other types.
    At face value that seems ridiculous but I’m sure there’s a (good) reason.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fishing-industry-in-2019-statistics-published

Northwind

johnx2
    Free Member

We mainly eat white fish, daftly mackerel being food of the gods.

Testify! Though, it does mean that mackerel’s often cheaper, we’ve got a fish van dude that comes round every friday and my mackerel’s always cheaper than the haddock. And unsmoked haddock is just white mush that tastes of nothing, unless you coat it in breadcrumbs in which case it’s white mush that tastes of breadcrumbs.

funkmasterp

It seems that both sides are being rather petty and shellfish

greyspoke
    Free Member

Thanks for the links @frank. According to the detailed report:

A smallish amount of UK landed fish comes from foreign registered boats (mainly Norwegian). And UK boats land fish abroad (mainly mackerel and herring to Norway). So those would count as imports and exports respectively.

There is a breakdown by where caught but that is not according to territorial waters. So for example the North Sea is divided into Northern and Southern parts, both of which would include UK and non-UK waters. But it looks like UK territorial fish are the major part of the catch.

andy8442
    Free Member

We eat Tuna, Prawns and Salmon (not Scottish), and you don’t see them in the north sea. Jeez, I hope one day someone is held to account for all of this.

allanoleary
    Free Member

For cods hake…. I can’t take the puns

frankconway

Once upon a time…and everyone lived happily ever after – in the 27 EU states.

metalheart
    Free Member

Couldn’t the boats meet up in no mans land (sic) and just swap catches?

God, this is easy. Next!

matt_outandabout

Just don’t ask why the shops have New Zealand lamb in…

tthew

Back on track…

They must be laughing their collective arses off at our fish obsession.

I’m sure they would if it didn’t mean that they’re going to sell less Audi’s/mountain bikes/wood burners etc etc etc as the prices will all shoot up due to WTO tariff rules.

It’s bloody madness. A more pragmatic approach would be to nationalise the whole industry, scuttle the boats and retire the fishermen on decent pensions, even the young ones! But no, we’ll screw the whole economy for an industry worth fractions of a percent of GDP.

But Blue Passports! **** idiots.

Spud

Bonkers, utterly bonkers. Cornwall last summer, boat off loading a shed load of crabs (spider and brown) and lobster, asked if they’re going to the local fishmongers, answer; no mate most of this lot if off to France and Spain. WTAF!! Fantastic produce, bugger all food miles and we’re export it.

mariner
    Free Member

Just to catch up on puns can you put that in whiting I am a bit hard of herring.

Meanwhile I was listening to R4 last night Is Britain Ready for Brexit?
    One of the many things that didn’t make sense was over fishing. The concern was that road transport delays at Dover would mean the cargo of fish bound for Europe would go off and be ruined.
    It appears we catch fish in the Channel land it in UK put it on a lorry and send it to France.
    Lets assume the French do likewise. Is it too simplistic to suggest the fishing boat fishing the Channel lands it in France and ditto the French boats here?
    I know this is a bit late in the day as we are about to abandon the single market but has fish been excluded from the single market or is it run by M&M Enterprises buy?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We eat Tuna, Prawns and Salmon (not Scottish), and you don’t see them in the north sea. Jeez, I hope one day someone is held to account for all of this.

Loads of prawn trawlers in the north sea, every salmon that makes it’s way up river has came from the sea, and the only reason you don’t see Tuna off Yorkshire* is cos it was fished to extinction in the last century.

*Though there has been a fair few reports of them coming back.

richmtb

https://www.theguardianbrexit-fishing-gamble-suggests-no-10-forgot-its-economics-homework

About sums it up.

Essentially we are going to make a huge issue out of something that is of very little concern to most of us, in order to appease a tiny minority.

A bit like Brexit

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘A Brexit fable…’ is closed to new replies.