Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • A break in Newtonmore , Decent Hill walk recommendations.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

Hi Folks looking for some advice . We have rented a big hoose for a week in July with our friends from down south in Newtonmore. I know the area reasonably well and plan the usual showing off Scotland days out (Arisaig , Glenfinnan , Kyle , Skye etc).
    As well as hopefully a day on the Gondola at Fort Bill I was thinking of taking them walking . Ive only ever climbed 2 munros and one of those was ben nevis which I thought was actually fairly shite. can anyone recommend a Hill (dosent have to be a munro) in the area to climb.

Many thanks.

stevious

Walkhighland is a good resource for this kind of thing. Not all of the walks go up a hill but you can usually find something to fit your timings and aims.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/kingussie.shtml

scotroutes

Walkhighlands is a good shout.

Creag Meagaidh is one I’d recommend. Being central, a clear day will give you views both East and West. Nice walk in and a great corrie wall. Bit up from the corrie onto the hill proper has a little flavour of “technical” without being at all scary. Be careful of navigation though, a certain Mr C Bonington managed to get lost up there one New Year 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sgor Gaoith is close by, and a great wee hill (cracking descent too!)

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks Stevious and Scotroutes will look into the walkhighlands site.

malgrey
    Free Member

Yep, Sgor Gaoith is a good call, nice but straightforward walk from lovely Glen Feshie, then some fabulous views and big drops on the other side.

The walk through Rothiemurchus to the Lairig Ghru is good too, without visiting any summits.

If you just want an “easy” hill, those to the west of Drumochter are quick and you start high. A ‘Mharconaich probably the nicest. They’re not exactly sharp ridges though!

Creag Dhubh, just south west of town, is supposed to be good.

I would say, if you’re planning a day on Skye, its going to be a long one! 2 1/2 hours just to the bridge. I’d maybe be looking instead at places like Glen Affric, one of the most beautiful glens, which also has a choice of hills.
    Arisaig/Glenfinnan/Loch Shiel slightly easier but you’ll still be in the car for a lot of the day (which is great if that’s what you want to do, no better place to gaze out of car windows). You could drive to Fort William and then get the train to Mallaig (2 hours each way) for a different day, really good. If you got off at Morar you could walk down to Silver Sands and hopefully get a later train back (check!).

Walkhighlands definitely worth looking at.

mashr

ben nevis which I thought was actually fairly shite

That’ll be the tourist route then

tjagain

There is a nice path up to loch Dubh about west by north west of Newtonmore ( road the first mile or two if you want). Its a lovely corrie and there is a nice route up onto the high plateau from there – ( ridge to the east probably easiest). the plateau has a load of tops on it but is a bit featureless and bland and can be done as a circuit. smashing views tho – ben nevis in the distance etc etc

I’ll mark up a map for you if its of any interest

The advantage of this is no ( or only a couple of miles) of driving
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/sH1AP7]17 loch Dubh ben nevis[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

tjagain

that should read about 5 miles west by north west of Newtonmore

Spin
    Free Member

ben nevis which I thought was actually fairly shite

You were doing it wrong!

Meagaidh is a good call. Slightly further west Beinn a’ Chaorainn gives great views or if they’re up for something a bit longer the Easains have a remote, big hill feel about them despite being pretty accessible.

Sandwich

There’s some nice lumps and bumps just to the North of the town for a wander if you don’t want to drive to the start.

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice folks , Tj that does sound interesting and the view looks great. Plenty to think about.

tjagain

stanfree – you have a pm

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘A break in Newtonmore , Decent Hill walk recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.