Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • A bouncing rat
  • snowslave

OK, I’m cycling along the Trans Pennine Trail near Fiddler’s Ferry, on Sat afternoon near Spike Island, by the river Mersey. You know, the river that runs from Manchester and empties into the sea around Liverpool?

And a rat BOUNCES across the trail. Like a kangaroo. Or a gerbil. Only it’s rat sized – say 5-6 inches long not counting it’s long rat like tail. Yep I have seen many rats – they RUN. This BOUNCED on it’s hind legs. Boingy boingy boingy.

Settle a debate please – what was it?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

A wallaby.

druidh
    Free Member

Wallaby?

snowslave

Nope. Thanks anyway, but defo not a wallaby. I have seen wallabies in the zoo. It wasn’t a wallaby.

colnagokid

Are you sure it wasnt a Clarks Wallaby?
    (its what I had on when I went to see the Stone Roses at Spike back in the day!)

thefettler
    Free Member

kangaroo rat

tinribz
    Free Member

Gerbil?

Maybe it injurd it’s front legs or something. Must of been desporate out in the day.

Surfr
    Free Member

Stoat?

snowslave

Hmmmm…. I was there too.

Rats are clever. Maybe the rats have learned to dance as a consequence, and perhaps somewhere on the banks of the Mersey there’s a little tribute band of rats doing covers of My Mersey Paradise, oblivious to the point the lyrics are not really complimentary to their home town?

Nope, don’t think this can be right. If the rat whad learned from the Stone Roses, it would have walked with an exaggerated swagger, and probably tried to barge me out of the way. It wouldn’t have boinged along into some bushes. Nope.

snowslave

Too big for a gerbil – this was rat sized. Are there such things as kangaroo rats in the uk?

snowslave

Thanks Surfr – defo not a stoat. Imagine a VERY big gerbil, only rat sized, crouched low, front feet off the air, boinging along on it’s back feet, with a definite boing boing boing effect. It was a very boingy thing.

tinribz
    Free Member

No kangaroo rats outside Bristol Zoo I don’t think but feral Red-necked wallabies have been around a while.

colnagokid

One of them there new black squirrels, that were on countryfile today?

heathy
    Free Member

I think you will find rats are related to kangaroo’s.

tinribz
    Free Member

I don’t think so, no more than say we/monkey’s are anyway.

snowslave

I think it was a kangaroo rat – it had big beady eyes, not like a normal rat. EG:

http://www.arkive.org/giant-kangaroo-rat/dipodomys-ingens/video-06.html

thefettler
    Free Member

do i win a prize?

heathy
    Free Member

Kangaroos are just big rats arn’t they, funny you mention seeing it bounce, i’ve seen them bounce before too. Maybe it was high on E after going to a stone roses gig?

snowslave

I reckon so! Well I can’t think what else it would be. Never heard or seen of them before. But then it WAS Widnes. Anything’s possible…

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Kangaroos are just big rats arn’t they

Don’t ever say that to a kangaroo ………… they are very easily offended.

snowslave

too right.

the kangaroo’s on the left

snowslave

Shurely shome mishtake though. According to sir google, kangaroo rats are an endangered species – eg:
    http://www.unep-wcmc.org/isdb/Taxonomy/tax-species-result.cfm?SpeciesNo=6678&tabname=distribution
    , and only live in bits of America. So what would one be doing in Widnes? Well what would anything be doing in Widnes, but you know what I mean

Gary_C

Could have been a normal rat thats been drinking the water from the Mersey…

samuri
    Free Member

was it a chinchilla? Very common household pet in the UK so it’s quite possible it’s escaped and made it’s way down to the Mersey (probably following the stench of that awful glue factory or whatever it is on the opposite side from spike island).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A potteroo? A kangeroo the size of a small rabbit/rat

snowslave

If it had been a chinchilla I’d have chased it to give it a cuddle!

bear-uk
    Free Member

Its a Siberian hamster Mr Fawlty.

molgrips
    Free Member

Kangaroos are just big rats arn’t they

No, they’re marsupials.

blu-tone
    Free Member

A rat on a pogo stick ?

Baby robin ?

snowslave

I’m firming up on the kangaroo rat concept in the absence of any other viable options.

I think someone somewhere in officialdom should be concerned there are kangaroo rats boinging around Spike Island. It could turn out like the rabbits in Australia problem, and we all know how that ended up.

Or maybe they could be a tourist attraction to lure people to the bohemian wine bars and cafe society of Widnes?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘A bouncing rat’ is closed to new replies.