Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • A bit O/T – Motorbike Trials
  • dickydutch

Appreciate this may be a little off topic, but hey, there’s a wealth of knowledge on here so figured it was worth an ask anyway…

I have a couple of motorbikes that I ride on the road but I’m really keen to give the world of trials riding a go. Now, before I go ahead and chuck money on a bike and head out on my own, I was wondering if anyone knew of, or could recommend anywhere I can go and do a sort of “experience day” (for want of a better description), ideally with bike hire included. I’ve googled it and found Inch perfect over in Lancs and Bumpy, down in Leeds but none up in the north east (I’m based in Hexham but don’t mind travelling if needs be).

If anyone knows of any clubs, or even rides trials themselves, I’m all ears and open to all offers of advice!

Thanks in advance,
    Rich

Trimix
    Free Member

There are some who offer skills lessons for Trials riding – try them.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Give a local club a call. My mate is secretary of Newcastle Motor club, his son’s a handy rider.

https://www.acu.org.uk/centres-clubs/clubs/newcastle-district-motor-club-limited

Speak to Hutchy, tell him Grainger sent you. He’s in Whitley Bay.

dickydutch

Thanks for the replies. I saw that Motor Club on my google crawl – I’ll give them a shout.

fieldy
    Free Member

Try Parkwood Offroad centre in Tong, near Bradford. They have dedicated trials training days where you can just turn up pay your money and practice….it was also the venue for this years’s UK World Round event.
    http://www.parkwood4x4.co.uk/news.php?DOC_INST=4

BUMPY is ok if you are a complete novice, but an excellent starter venue for kids.

There’s also lots of West Yorkshire affiliated trials clubs:
    Spen Valley
    West Leeds
    Bradford and District
    Horsforth
    Yeadon and Guiseley

Happy riding….Feet up!

smokey_jo
    dickydutch

Clitheroe was the one I mentioned in the original post Smoky. Seems really good value.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Buy a copy of TMX. Suspect there will be plenty of ads in the back.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dicky, have you been to any trials? There’s plenty up your way to go to & have a natter with the riders & organisers.
    I started by buying a bike (a 1970 Bulto Sherpa) & mucking around in a disused quarry, then entering an event. Rode for 15 years in the late 70’s & 80’s & it was the best times ever!

http://www.trialscentral.com/events-calendar/eventdetail/4901/-/south-shields-dmc-trial-restricted-entry

If your’e not busy on Sunday.

dickydutch

Ive seen them passing my house a fair few times but never been to one. I actually live near Allenheads and seem to think there are a few annual things on in that area judging by the number of riders buzzing by the front door. 🙂

To be honest, I’m keen to buy a cheap beginners bike and, like you, start in the local disused quarries.

As an aside, I was thinking of something like a Beta Rev 3 – around 2007/8 ish. WOuld this be a good starting point?
    All my experience is on road so I feel a little like a fish out of water at the moment!

dickydutch

Hadn’t realised that event on Sunday was in Rookhope – thats only a 5 minute ride (if that) from my front door!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You missed a big trial last weekend then, The Travers Trial was based in Nenthead last Sunday. My mate ran/organised it & there were some decent riders competing.
    Get yourself there then, see what it’s all about. Good luck!

dickydutch

Thanks for your input – much appreciated.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘A bit O/T – Motorbike Trials’ is closed to new replies.