Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • A big thank you – BKB last night
  • bfebikerchap
    Free Member

On the off chance that they read this forum, a massive thank you to the the two guys who helped out last night when my mate broke his collar bone on BKB.

Special thanks to the guy with the goatee and the Trek for lending his first aid kit and then looking after the bikes of complete strangers.
    As a roadie it’s nice to know that the cyclist camaraderie runs strong on the trails as well!

Thanks guys.

mattjg
    Free Member

GWS BKB BCB chap

(wasn’t me … how did he do it?)

sugdenr
    Free Member

Do share, I always like to know how it happened – so maybe I can avoid doing it myself next time i’m hurtling down to Peaslake

mattjg
    Free Member

I get the feeling that statistically BKB is a fairly dangerous trail. Although it’s benign technically, a lot of people ride it, and it’s fast.

bfebikerchap
    Free Member

I don’t know for sure – I think he hit a tree stump – ow.
    Mattjg – what is BCB and GWS please?

geetee1972
    Free Member

what is BCB and GWS please?

Get Well Soon BKB Broken Collar Bone Chap I presume

brakes
    Free Member

statistically BKB is a fairly dangerous trail.

the only thing dangerous about Barrys is the people who ride it.

mattjg
    Free Member

@gt yes

@brakes you’re right of course, if nobody rode it there would be no accidents

geetee1972
    Free Member

More people die playing golf each year than die mountaineering. Golf must be incredibly dangerous.

Get well soon chap. I have broken both mine, and had both plated. It’s a painful injury initially but once the bones have stablised a little/been screwed together, it’s not too bad.

njee20
    Free Member

Edit: ignore me.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nick what do you reckon, is this a good time to broker another Surrey Hills Track World ride?

mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah gt but I’ll bet most people who die mountaineering died because they were mountaineering, but most people who die golfing where going to die anyway, they just happened to be golfing at the time.

And you will know this with your statistical troll, too.

spacemonkey

IMO BKB doesn’t flow as well as it used to say 5-10 yrs ago. Back then it was smoother, less rooty/rutty and generally just plain fast. The bit at the end was often worth a laugh too. Now it’s just got too much going on.

mattjg
    Free Member

Yeah I think it was more fun back then, but that could be rose-tinted nostalgia.

I rode the ‘new’ Park Life last night for the first time, that’s a lot faster, drier and more flowy too. More fun? I’m still thinking about that. I think I regret the loss a bit – roots, puddles and mud are part of the experience I think.

Anyhow these trails have to be sustainable, and those days are gone. So it goes.

spacemonkey

Haven’t been over to Holmbury for over a year so didn’t realise PL had changed too – unless you’re referring to the split about 1/4 of the way through IIRC?

BTW, I’ve never known the name of the the trail that runs parallel with PL if you choose to head left at the beginning (before the switchback). Any enlightenment?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Spacemonkey, that one is called ‘Doc at the Radar Station’.

mattjg
    Free Member

Yes I mean the split as it enters the forest, but the newer trail segment has had a lot more work recently and has been extended.

Ah the name of the other bit, that’s down in “I know it but I can’t recall it” territory of my brain. That’s going to torture me now.

spacemonkey

‘Doc at the Radar Station’.

WTF? General Surrey Hills trail naming anti-logic applied there, eh? Or is there some kind of PRISM-esque surveillance outpost hidden among the trees?

has had a lot more work recently and has been extended.

Ooh, news to me. Will have to check it out some time.

loddrik
    Free Member

As a roadie

That’s your problem right there… 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

WTF? General Surrey Hills trail naming anti-logic applied there, eh? Or is there some kind of PRISM-esque surveillance outpost hidden among the trees?

You’ve lost me there! 😀

The work on YP/Park Life should take the trail up to the left and around the ever present rooty puddle which is a shame in one sense because that section was reasonable technical. By the looks of it, I think they are reintegrating the high left line/climb that you used to take before they cut it out.

spacemonkey

should take the trail up to the left and around the ever present rooty puddle

As in the left-hand turn that’s long been available (although easy to miss) just before the puddle? Takes you up to the roll-in that many years ago was given the legendary status of busting Hora’s elbow!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yep that’s the one although I thought it was just after the puddle? But yes, the roll-in gives it away.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘A big thank you – BKB last night’ is closed to new replies.