Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • A bicycle (bag) built for two…
  • RealMan
    Free Member

I want to fit a mountain bike and a road bike in a single bike bag, to take on planes and stuff.

I’m obviously prepared to dismantle them quite a lot, handlebars, forks, seatposts, etc. all off. I’m also talking about an 18″ HT with 110mm forks and a 52cm road frame, which I figure should make it at least a little easier.

Any experiences trying to do something like this? Should I give up now?

RealMan
    Free Member

Anyone?

RealMan
    Free Member

🙁

d45yth
    Free Member

The biggest problem you would have if there was such a bag, would be the shear size and weight of it. You would struggle to get it in the back of a car…I struggle with the one just for my mountain bike. The weight issue too, whether you can lift it or not, it would easily exceed the maximum weight allowance for most airlines (BA will take any weight as long as it’s a bike without an engine, don’t think they’d be happy with two in one box though).

qwerty
    Free Member

May well exceed max weight and baggage handelers will refuse to touch it. 2 bags.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tempted to agree. Manual handling become the limiting factor. Besides, wouldn’t they be safer in two bags? Lose or damage that one and you’re stuffed. Separate bags and there’s a better chance you’ll still have one bike to ride.

d45yth
    Free Member

I don’t think you’d be allowed to take 2 pieces of oversized baggage either. Even if you can, it would be an absolute nightmare if you had another bag with your kit in too. If you hadn’t realised this, I take it you haven’t taken a bike abroad before?

If you really did need two bikes, I think I’d just take one and pay to hire another once there. I realise that’s not always an option though.

honourablegeorge

I dunno about the Max weight thing – if I can take a 40lb DH bike on a plane, then a similar weight with a 25lb HT and 15lb roadie should in theory be fine. Airports always have trolleys – I sure as hell don’t carry my DH bike, so handling it should be OK, just really depends how well it can be packed. Might be a few pounds to save if compromises are made too (one set of pedals, one seatpost/saddle, sizes permitting, etc)

An amalgamation of two bike boxes might be the way to go if it can’t be crammed into a bag.

d45yth
    Free Member

“if I can take a 40lb DH bike on a plane”

Don’t you put anything else in with it? Shoes, Camelbak, tools, etc? My bike weighs 28lbs…once it’s in my bag with the other bits and pieces, it’s close to the limit. My suitcase is always the same too, in fact the last two times I’ve been away it was over.

honourablegeorge

d45yth – Member

Don’t you put anything else in with it?

Yeah, I usually do. My point was that weight shouldn’t be an issue, limit is about 32kg

Matt_SS_xc

Take a 29er and spare slicks?

DickBarton

Who are you flying with? BA have a weight limit of 23Kg for a suitcase but a bike would travel for free (along with your suitcase)*

* This has been the case when it has been done Edinburgh to London…

It’ll be a seriously large bag if it was possible…best of luck trying to get something that will work.

RealMan
    Free Member

Take a 29er and spare slicks?

I don’t need a commuter, I need a road bike… 😉

Any experiences taking two bike bags through an airport?

mick_r

We’ve done it with 2 mtbs – both frames / forks in a bike bag with 2 wheels (the road wheels in your case).

Biggest cheapest squishy suitcase from Argos – 2 mtb wheels (needed to deflate them to fit), saddles, posts, stems etc padded with clothes.

shermer75
    Free Member

The baggage handlers won’t handle anything above 32kg. The 23kg limit is kind of optional, they charge you more per kg until you reach the limit 32kg. Watch out for the BA offer if they are still doing it, I used them but when I got to the airport the flight was actually with Iberia(!?!) who did not let you take bikes for free (€300, two bikes €75 each way). I have never heard of a bag that will fit two bikes!! Hope this helps 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Oh, bit slow there, got chatting to the missus halfway through typing….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘A bicycle (bag) built for two…’ is closed to new replies.