A beginner's guide to buying someone a bottle of port

• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by  lunge.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • A beginner's guide to buying someone a bottle of port
  • cranberry

Someone did me a favour and I want to say thanks – they like port and I know the square root of nothing about that fine drink.

I need to get it delivered – I am not in the at the moment. Will £30-40 + delivery get me something decent ?

What can you recommend ?

aP

Go to Berry Bros? Phone them up and ask for their recommendations. Alternatively go to an independent wine merchant.

piemonster

When you say they like Port, do you mean they ‘like’ Port, or the “like” Port.

As depending on their tastes you may struggle with that budget!

Anyway, local independent wine merchants would be my advice. Should get some Krohn for that money which im quite partial to.

Yeah, £30-40 will get you something that most port drinkers will be more than happy with. Plenty of pretty old ports for that kind of money. Will have a quick gander at Amazon now.

cranberry

Okaaay,

it is the sort of like that doesn’t involve an address at Pall Mall and me spending more than I will get for the car that he sold on my behalf whilst I am out of the country.

an address at Pall Mall

Berry Bros are either on St James or in Basingtoke. 🙂

BBR are great, but if you have a good local winemonger, your budget will find something very pleasant. Ask them.

This Taylor 20yr Old Tawny on Amazon will be fine.

Unless he’s into mega expensive port, in which case, buy something else besides port.

EDIT: apologies if link looks crap. Just assuming you need something you can order online. Your local majestic will have something too although they often don’t have a great selection.

[Mod edit – FTFY]

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

Unless he’s a massive piss head, don’t bother to get “vintage” as it has to be finished quickly once the bottle is opened.

Tawny is my preference. The Taylor’s 20 year old linked above is perfectly acceptable.

aP

Berry Bros sell things for all budgets. Their ‘own label’ can be surprisingly good – just without the well known label.

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

if you’re the other (right 😉 ) side of birmingham then talk to D Byrnes of Clitheroe, utterly brilliant vintners and VERY knowledgeable on port

however that 20yo tawny is a decent shout for the price point

piemonster

And just to offer something other than Taylor’s

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015JJHF4A/

cranberry

Roter Stern has kindly posted up the logo of my local wine monger.

Thanks for the suggestions – I had a less “tired and emotional” look at Berry Bros and yes, you can get a case of port for less than 2 grand, so I think that I’ll get a bottle of the 20 year old tawny for him.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

A good Tawny or a Colheita is what I’d suggest, this is lovely for £50 a bottle, or this for £40.

The other option for someone who likes Port is a good Medieria, something like this would do the job.

And all available from my local wine shop.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.