Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • A 27.2mm dropper for the value conscious…
  • masterwatson2000
    Free Member

I’m looking for a dropper post for my On One 456 Evo (27.2mm seat tube). I don’t have an unlimited budget, but I realise the choice in this size category is relatively limited anyway. As far as I’m aware there are various offerings by KS but with limited UK support, the X Fusion Hilo, the Gravity Dropper, and the Thomson Elite. Also as a curveball, there are a few suspect looking ‘reverse engineered’ gravity dropper type posts available on eBay for silly money…

Opinions, suggestions, experiences and thoughts on my various options plus any I might have missed would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your responses!

sv

Secondhand gravity dropper was my choice about four years ago, its had one strip and clean in that time. Has been flawless in operation.

booktownman
    Free Member

I wouldn’t dismiss the Ebay cheapos out of hand, they’re basically a gravity dropper clone for quarter of the price. If you search on here for ‘cheap dropper’ or ‘tmars’ you’ll see some reviews. I’ve had one since September, it took some adjustment to get it working right and the saddle has now developed some side to side waggle, but for the money I’m happy.

There’s a more expensive Gravity clone from RSP here http://singletrackworld.com/2013/11/rsp-releases-sub-100-dropper-post/

br
    Free Member

I’ve had an X-Fusion on my 456Ti since Christmas. Didn’t cable it up but used the small under-seat lever so I could easily remove it.

Works well.

gogg
    Free Member

If the X-Fusion is half as good as their shocks, I wouldn’t dismiss it.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The eBay tmars is great!

deanfbm
    Free Member

My tmars has been very good, this is from someone who owns a reverb too.

nickjb
    Free Member

The wife has a tmars. It was about £57 so not a big issue if it’s rubbish but is actually OK.

kevs
    Free Member

ive got an ICE dropper post and it is brilliant for the money, not as smooth as a reverb but for the price i dont think you can beat it.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Second hand gravity dropper. I had an issue with mine and gravity dropper fixed it for free no questions asked!

Lifer
    Free Member

TMars here, wasn’t impressed until I took it apart and replaced the thick claggy grease with a heavy oil, took a bit of fiddling to get right (maybe half an hours work) but works brilliantly now.

The one I’ve got looks like this:

hora
    Free Member

How heavy are you guys on the tmars?

I saw one comment prev about a heavy rider breaking the internal pin?

Simon

My money would go on a 2nd hand Gravity Dropper.

billyboulders
    Free Member

My Tmars was rubbish. It cracked around one of the holes the locating pin goes into after about 20 hours use. Luckily because it wouldn’t stay in position I stripped it down and saw the cracks before it failed catastrophically. I also had a nightmare getting a refund out of the ebay seller. The second hand gravity dropper I replaced it with has been fine. Lesson learned, gravity dropper is where my money would go, not a cheaply made inferior knock off.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

My tmars bent on its second ride. Replaced it with a xfusion hilo which has lasted fine for a year now

masterwatson2000
    Free Member

Lots of positives for the Tmars which is surprising, although a few negatives also, it looks a bit flimsy, and I tend to break things… Otherwise, the Gravity Dropper looks like the leader so far. I’ll be looking out for a deal, and may post a WTD ad. I like the idea of limited fuss, and an easy to strip and rebuild system gains points for when I inevitably break something and need to put it back together!

I am interested by the RSP version though, not sure why it should be any more stable than any of the other reworked versions of the GD, but for some reason buying from Raleigh just seems like the right thing to do…?

botanybay
    Free Member

T-Mars here too for a about a year. Faultless and got some spare bushings for it for about 6 quid but not needed to use them. Can’t go wrong for 50 quid.

hora
    Free Member

XFusion Hilo- wheres the cheapest place?

The good thing about a 27.2 one is you can put it into any subsequent frame.

NormalMan

RSP would be what I’d try. I guess its the back up from buying from Raleigh rather than just off EBay, etc that would be why.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rsp-plummet-remote-dropper-272mm-seat-post-id82603.html?gclid=CN_F7K-x270CFQ7MtAodsVMAxw

sillyoldman

KS now through Jungle with great support and spares availability. The LEV is a really nice bit of kit.

booktownman
    Free Member

You’ll find horror stories about £300 Reverbs if you look for them, there’s not much to go wrong with those Tmars posts. I agree with the point above about stripping out the grease and replacing with a lighter oil. Cable replacement is a good idea too.

@ botanybay – where did you get your bushings from? Mine need doing, been quoted £14.

botanybay
    Free Member

booktownman (Wigtown?), I got the bushes off ebay from a seller in Israel, but not sure if he’s still selling them. 15 odd quid sound alright if you need a set though. Still miles cheaper than any other seatpost anyone has mentioned here.

People come along and say their reverb is ace, but it should be, as it costs 3 times more than my post, even when on special offer.

50 odd quid.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

My mate has got the Raleigh RSP one mentioned above on his. Its great for the money and easily serviceable. What’s not to like? He’s happy.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

+1 on rsp dropper (or Sorata zoom it’s the same thing)

See my post here

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rsp-dropper-anyone-got-one

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘A 27.2mm dropper for the value conscious…’ is closed to new replies.