Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,366 total)
  • A 2015/16 Football Thread
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

do they want to move or does Klopp want them gone?

I imagine he’s been prmised ££ to spend during the Summer. He’s done what he’s done with a squad not of his own making. Benteke was always on the cards to go. Coutinho would be a loss I think. As would Henderson. The others can go if he can raise decent money from them. Lallana has been a disappointing signing IMO.

Christ knows, they need some kind of international class defence.

senorj

Coutinho & Firmino are world class,albeit the latter is a luxury. They’ll want European footie.
    Lallana has said it’d take an “amazing” offer to move….hello Spurs/hammers. I like him fwiw.
    Sturridge has said he wants to stay but he’s a bit high maintenance/moody for my liking.
    Kolo’s brother is supposed to be looking for a move ,he s better than both Henderson & sadly Allen.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Firmino is world class? I think LFC are by in large on the up , and I think a fair few players would be very keen to keep working with Klopp. People like lallana though are at an age where CL is real draw

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Lallana looks decent enough but he’s not scored or created enough – works hard but if they get a decent offer they should take it. Moreno is poor defensively which is his main function. Can’t see how he’ll figure long term. Sturridge is class but his fragility and the way he strolls about sometimes, hmmmm, not sure Klopp trusts him. And then there’s the goalie….

If they can keep their better players I’d back them for the top 4 with no European football as a distraction.

dragon
    Free Member

Moreno is poor defensively which is his main function.

In the new football world defending seems to be a dying art, look at the dross that are David Luiz, Phil Jones, Mamadou Sakho and John Stones, to name a few.

gonzy
    Free Member

what a disaster…absolutely mortified that we chucked it away last night. we had the chances in the first half and should have done better…we managed to reduce them to playing the long ball in the first half…whether it was their tactic to do this doesnt matter….we should have capitalised on it and got more than just the one goal
    having said that you would have thought that in the first 10 minutes of the second half we would have held it together, expecting sevilla to go on the attack and try and weather the storm…but no…moreno has to demonstrate his comedic defensive qualities with that equalising goal…after that they clearly had liverpool on the ropes as the midfield went AWOL

klopp has a massive re-building job to do now…problem is he has a number of players who dont deserve to be playing at the club on big contracts and will the hard to move on without taking a big hit on the financially

mignolet, moreno, toure, allen, benteke all need to find new clubs
    skrtel, sturridge, lallana, lovren, sakho are just about hanging on by the skin of their teeth
    coutinho needed a kick up the backside last night…was completely anonymous last night as was firmino

looks like next season will be yet another “transitional” season….again(!)

binners

klopp has a massive re-building job to do now.

The trouble is that at the moment there are a number of clubs saying that they ‘need to rebuild’. City, United, Chelsea, and now Liverpool. Where are all these world class players all going to come from then, for this rebuilding process?

i imagine that a number of agents are rubbing their hands with glee, and that a load of players who look anywhere near half decent for more than 10 minutes in the Euros will be commanding ludicrous transfer fees.

problem is he has a number of players who dont deserve to be playing at the club on big contracts and will the hard to move on without taking a big hit on the financially

Jordon Henderson has a contract until 2020 that guarantees him £100,000+ 😯

Whoever his agent is, I wish he was doing my salary negotiations

gonzy
    Free Member

spot on binners!!
    especially when you look at the recent european track record of english clubs…its going to be hard to entice players over to england
    unless you’re a club with limitless wealth that doesnt mind paying £20M for mediocre players who at best are squad players or reserves…i dont know where these world class players will come from
    to add to that united, chelsea, arsenal and city will also be also rebuilding this summer…i havent the foggiest how liverpool will be able to compete with them in the transfer market…no european football on offer and probably no where near the available transfer funds as the other clubs

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

When was the last time Liverpool purchased a player who was regarded as world class (Before he signed for you).

Liverpool are at the second tier of signings unfortunately. Potential or flaws but there are only a few clubs that compete for truly world class players and that aint liverpool with no european football.

Klopp is the perfect manager for them because you need to hope he can polish a few gems for you and raise the levels of what is already there. Man utd spent £250m and have arguably gone backwards. Another £250m and i wouldnt be surprised to see them not win the league again next season. Its not all about signing big names

Junkyard
    Free Member

Moreno is poor defensively which is his main function

He is not even that good is utterly inept at defending

Sturridge is class but his fragility

Played less than 100 games in 4 seasons…he is made of glass but he is class when fit

Agree there are lots of teams needing to rebuild and a dearth of good quality players

Almost no decent defender who are native and not many more if you scour the globe.

Its interesting we get great athletes these days but not great players

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

When was the last time Liverpool purchased a player who was regarded as world class

Define world class.

Junkyard
    Free Member

world class = top drawer 😉

one of the best in the world in their position

spud-face

Almost no decent defender who are native and not many more if you scour the globe.

How good they seem can be dictated by the team they play in. Lovren was ace for us (especially first half of the season) but arguably the saints set up aided this, as any attack had to get through Schneiderlein and Wanyama before it got to him. Plus Fonte was on hand to provide the leadership. i’m not surprised he’s not been the same player when stuck in the Liverpool team – weren’t they continually chopping and changing the defence at first?
    Toby Alderweireld has continued to be good after the move to spurs, possibly as a result of Poch taking the system across with him. Also VVD has been a perfect replacement for the other two, but was gash for the nederlands in the only game of theirs I paid attention to.

Still, if Clyne and Lallana want to further their careers at a club playing in europe then they know who to call 😀

Also, it’s a shame Chambers gambled his career on Arsenal. In he and Clyne we had two first choice right backs to be used situationally.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Why should i define world class? Its open to interpretation and imo liverpool havent signed a world class player in decades. Mind you neither have most other teamsin the prem so its nowt to be ashamed of.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Shirley world class is the best , or perhaps top 3 in the world in that position..,?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Lovren has been pretty decent this season considering how poor he was last season. He and Sakho seemed to be developing a bit of a partnership until Sakho’s brain fade. Toure was really good last night – might be worth year deal! Moreno gets no assistance from Coutinho if there is to be any defence of him and I’m not sure why Klopp doesn’t play Flanagan at left back instead. Perhaps he’s not yet fully fit after his long lay off?

The defence has been problematic for years though. I believe it does all start with the keeper though – players know Mignolet’s a liability despite him doing better recently and are just waiting for his next mistake or flap at a cross. Not sure why he got a new deal – maybe to seek a better fee if he is sold?

binners

I do think Skertl deserves a special mention last night for getting a yellow card from the comfort of the bench. Special!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why should i define world class?

I only ask, as I’m wondering how many world class players have came to the Premiership in general.

In recent years, the best players in the world have been IMO –

Ronaldo (not before he went to Manchester United)
    Messi
    Zlatan
    Zidane
    Ronaldinho
    Fat Ronaldo
    Rivaldo….

Just off the top of my head. So how many world class, in their pomp, players have came to the premiership? None of those above certainly, so it goes that the fact LFC haven’t signed any isn’t actually a huge surprise, as you say later in your post, granted.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The trouble is that at the moment there are a number of clubs saying that they ‘need to rebuild’. City, United, Chelsea, and now Liverpool. Where are all these world class players all going to come from then, for this rebuilding process?

Building a team isn’t about signing the best, I’d have thought this season has proved that.

gonzy
    Free Member

Moreno gets no assistance from Coutinho if there is to be any defence of him and I’m not sure why Klopp doesn’t play Flanagan at left back instead. Perhaps he’s not yet fully fit after his long lay off?

The defence has been problematic for years though. I believe it does all start with the keeper though – players know Mignolet’s a liability despite him doing better recently and are just waiting for his next mistake or flap at a cross. Not sure why he got a new deal – maybe to seek a better fee if he is sold?

maybe so that moreno doesnt get enough support from coutinho defensively…but even when coutinho isnt playing moreno is still a very poor defender…he looks lively when going forward and i’ll give him credit for being pacy but thats about it.
    his shooting is woeful and rash, so is his passing and crossing…its like as if he panics and then just hoofs the ball. his tackling of recent has been very bad…again he goes diving in with studs showing…i’m surprised he hasnt been sent off recently
    coutinho had a very poor game last night…he should have come off instead of firmino
    problem with moreno is that there hasnt been much competition for him this season…flanaghan has been injured for most of the season as has joe gomez…the less said about the social media king jose enrique the better…but even so he isnt good enough to be in the starting 11
    mignolet is a liability…and maybe you’re right that the new contract may have been t try and retain his value before being sold…but who would want him at that price/contract?
    i’ve always said all along that bodgers made a massive cock up in getting rid of pepe reina…and i thik it showed in that season when we came second…some of the games we lost were down to some very poor goalkeeping from mignolet.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Nobearinthefridge i totally agree. Maybe possibly some of the united, city and chelski signings could be argued that they were at or near the top level but even then, your list defines what i would deem world class more precisely.

So given that there is no way liverpool can shop at those levels, where does the recent (10yrs) signings of Liverpool really place them. Personally i would say they are similar to Spurs but with a higher wage structure. Which hammers home my point that Klopp is the perfect manager for them.

The trouble is that West Ham, Stoke, Everton etc etc are now closing the financial gap that used to exist whereby fans demanding clubs improve by making signings are going to have to realise its not that simple. Everton signed Lukaku for best part of £30m. Stoke offered a player £100k per week. These clubs are able to resist being cherry picked for their best players financially at least.

Football has moved into a very interesting period.

scandal42
    Free Member

You supposed ‘big clubs’ can keep signing the supposed ‘world class’ players.

We will hopefully continue down the avenue of building a ‘world class’ team instead 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge you list is about 10 years out of date on the whole and Zlatan isn’t world class except in his own head. Some current world class players in the PL IMO, not everyone will agree.

S. Aguero
    k. de bruyne
    E. Hazard
    De. Gea
    H. Loris
    T. Courtois
    Ozil
    Sanchez
    Schweinsteiger
    V. Kompany (if only he could stay fit)
    H. Kane
    Vardy (on this seasons form)
    Mahrez (on this seasons form)
    Martial
    T. Alderweireld
    C. Azpilicueta

gonzy
    Free Member

When was the last time Liverpool purchased a player who was regarded as world class

you’re right liverpool havent done this and you’re also right in saying that no-one else has really in the premiership…only real madrid and barcelona seem capable of buying world class players

what i meant by the suggestion of buying world class players was more along the lines of those who have the potential to become world class in the near future…such as the likes of Alonso, Torres, Mascherano, Suarez etc…
    obviously it is equally important to bring through youth players of genuine ability too such as the likes of Owen, Gerard, Carragher etc

however should a genuine world class player become available at the right price then they should seriously consider bidding but without the prospect of any european football next season its difficult to draw them in

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I am a spurs supporter and there is no way i would class any of the spurs players world class.

Lets put it this way, Harry Kane is fantastic, but he has 1(One) assist for the entire season. In the same season Suarez at Barelona has about 40 goals and 30 assists (Guesses but i know the figures are high).

If Kane is world class then we need another accolade for those who actually perform at this higher level.

Even then, if Liverpool fancied any of those players, how many do you think they are capable of signing? These ‘questionable’ world class players.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Dragon you started well then went downhill . Kane is absolutely brilliant , as are loris and martial, but not world class. There are at least three better keepers in the PL than Loris for example . All IMHO of course . I love debates like this !

gonzy
    Free Member

These ‘questionable’ world class players.

which questionable world class players are you referring to? you’ve kind of lost me there

Cletus

I think world class may be a bit strong and could be replaced by “looking very good in a decent league” and whom would not look out of place starting for Barca, Real Madrid or Bayern. Players that fit this criteria and have moved to the Premiership over the past few years would include:

Silva
    Aguero
    Mata
    Diego Costa
    Di Maria
    Kevin De Bryne

Obviously some players blossomed after moves from other leagues (Suarez, Hazard) or showed more skills than they were commonly perceived to have (Yaya).

The days of Liverpool being able to compete for the headline players are over (for the moment) but Klopp has shown a good eye for a player so maybe they can emulate Tottenham’s recent progress. They will have to accept that modern players no longer view them as anything special even if romantic dreamers such as Klopp do.

dragon
    Free Member

On keepers I had De Gea in that list also, and don’t forget Loris is the current French national captain and they go into the Euros as one of the favourites.

On Harry Kane, for his club over the last 2 seasons he’s scored 59 in all competitions, won the PL Golden Boot, and also scored 4 in 10 appearances for England. He isn’t going to get many assists as he plays as an out and out front man, which is unlike how the Spanish play.

A world class striker for me is a guy who in the PL is going to bang in 20+ a season, and Aguero and Kane fit that bill.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dragon, that’s why I asked what the definition of world class is. If it is top 3 in the world in their position, I wouldn’t have thought many of your list would make it.

binners
    jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

But not as funny as this

Ahem

seosamh77
    Free Member

So, tell me about Brendan Rodgers? 🙂

Rockape63
    Free Member

Yes that was a bit of a surprise!

Anyway, it’s FA Cup Final day today and I sense it might be a shocker.

Palace will pack their final third and try and hit Utd on the break. Only Utd won’t attack very much, so the number of chances will be minimal and the final outcome will be decided by a set price scramble or header!

So for that reason………I’m out!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Honestly, I am looking forward to Dortmund/Bayern and Milan/Juve more today.

Shame the games overlap, but nothing the Tivo can’t handle 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

@bongo I’ve almost forgotten about Italian football it seems irrelevant. German domestic league is just so one sided. This years PL just brought that into even sharper focus, it was such a triumph.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

That’s a very narrow view to take, jambalaya. Well, in relation to Seria A at least. It’s worth it just for Paul Pogba alone.

In respect to the PL, I think this year was an anomaly. It’ll be business as usual next year.

binners

Well this has the potential to be a truly awful game, with Palace no doubt sitting really deep, and United doing their usual sideways-sideways-backwards style of all-possession, no-threat football that has been so bloody infuriating to watch all season.

They’ll try and hit us on the break, so no doubt he’ll start with hair-n-elbows in midfield to clobber Zaha if he goes on a run. I Wouldn’t be surprised to see the usual no shots on target in the first half, or maybe Palace even going one up on the break.

Hopefully then he’ll let Martial do what he does in the second half, and he’ll get us a result. He has come up with results we didn’t deserve this season. Be nice to see Rashford get on the score sheet to top a fantastic first season too.

I think we’ll do it in the usual workmanlike, uninspiring fashion, with a flash of inspiration from those two in the second half. Rooney to act as supplier for any goals, as he’s not looked bad of late, and seems to have finally seen that his future lies in that midfield position, and not depriving younger, fitter players of opportunities up front.

I dread to think what Alan Pardew would be like if they won. He’s a gobshite at the best of times.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,366 total)

The topic ‘A 2015/16 Football Thread’ is closed to new replies.