Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • '96 Lava Dome
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

If I wanted to change the fork and headset on my old ’96 Lava Dome to a 1 1/8 threadless set up is it possible?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Yes, just need fork, headset and stem.

shermer75
    Free Member

What’s the current set up?

billytinkle
    Free Member

Current set up is all the standard stuff from ’96, so quill stem, impact headset and project 2 forks.

cp

nice 🙂 I had ’95… miss that bike 🙁

Why are you wanting to go threadless? Sus forks?

shermer75
    Free Member
    shermer75
    Free Member
    cp

You’ll not be able to go 1.1/8″ threadless, but you could go 1″ threadless with new stem, headset and forks.

Edric64
    Free Member

Even mt 1993 Dawes is 1 1/8 and they have never been at the forefront when it comes to technology

cp

ignore me, they were indeed 1.1/8″… so yes, not a problem to do the conversion, assuming your buying new threadless forks, headset and stem.

billytinkle
    Free Member

That’s what I was hoping. So a fork with a 1 1/8 steerer tube and something like a hope traditional headset should do the trick?

cp

yep

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You’ll not be able to go 1.1/8″ threadless,

Why not? Konas have been 1 1/8in since 1991 at least, they were in there right from the very beginning. I put a modern headset and 1 1/8in suspension fork in a mid 90s Hei Hei no problem at all. I can dig out pics if you don’t believe me! 🙂

billytinkle
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – just because I’ll be doing similar soon it would be nice to see those pics if it’s not too much trouble?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Here you go, I’ve only got pics of it from when I sold it, but I had a Reba on there most of the time. That’s a Judy (from when they were good) on there in e pic, but it’s still 1 1/8in with a clamp on stem and aheadset

DSCF0103 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

billytinkle
    Free Member

Much obliged Peter, good work 😀

cookeaa

I converted a 95 fire mountain from 1-1/8th threaded to threadless. Knock out old headset, press in new one, simple…

cp

Why not?

You missed my subsequent posts correcting myself. For some reason I had it in my head that my ’05 one was 1″…

tpbiker
    Free Member

PP, that looks amazing. I recently bought a 94 cindercone frame and forks which I was planning to restore and convert to a singlespeed….then I found out the wheels I expected to use with it had seized solid so its ended up as more clutter in my box room 🙁

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘'96 Lava Dome’ is closed to new replies.