Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • ’93 Kona Lava Dome – any idea of RRP?
  • MrAgreeable

Me and a friend recently had a couple of bikes stolen – a ’93 Lava Dome and a Dawes Edge One. The loss adjuster is coming to see her and she’s a bit stumped as to what to give as the value for the Kona – does anyone know what the original RRP was? It was the Project 2-forked version of this:

http://www.konaretro.com/articles/catalogues/1993/9.jpg

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, a ’91 Cindercone was £509.
    I reckon about £400-ish.
    Lave Dome was always the same frame with cheaper bits on it

franksinatra

I’ve got one (i think 94 though, green frame) I’m sure it was over £500 new

Wouldn’t sell it now though, real shame yours was nicked, classic frame and great bike

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Suggested retail in the states was $599
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?ItemID=40436

ourmaninthenorth

My ’92 cost me c£500 of hard saved pocket money.

MrAgreeable

£500 in 1992, yowza! Is that with suss or just for the rigid version?

crewlie

My 94 with an early front sus fork was 700 or so. So just about 500 for a project 2 93, I’d have thought.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

It was a ‘race lite’ – with p2 fork, not the ‘Mt Tam’ with a RS Quandra … and yes, it would have been about £500 …

clubber
    Free Member

About £500 would be right

ransos
    Free Member

My 1992 GT Tequesta had an RRP of £400, the Lava Dome had a better spec so I agree that £500 would have been about right.

youngj1
    Free Member

don’t forget to claim for the “extra’s” on there to offset the excess/discounts they will want to take off you!!

😉

Reluctant
    Free Member

£439.99

Reluctant
    Free Member

MrAgreeable

Reluctant, srsly?

MrAgreeable

Incidentally Giler, I think it had some old Exage shifters of yours on it.

takisawa2

You should really claim in today’s money.
    So round it up at £1k. 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Think I payed £550 for a new hardtail in ’95 too.

25mm travel too…stx rc 7sp!

Wish I had spare cash for new frame now!

MrAgreeable

You should really claim in today’s money.

So the going rate for rigid MTBs with canti brakes and ginormous quill stems is £1000 then? 😉

Eggbox
    Free Member

My other half bought one at the time and it cost between £500 and £550. Still got it in the cellar actually.

upsetter
    Free Member

I am sure the Lavadome was £525 when I bought mine in Feb 1993, great bike it is still used daily for the commute, upgraded to disks all round last year using spares that were lying around, new rear disk mount brazed on and frame powdercoated Kawazaki green (would have liked the original silver to blue fade but could not justify more than £30 on respray/powdercoat), still looks good and rides well for a 16 year old bike.

ourmaninthenorth

£500 in 1992, yowza! Is that with suss or just for the rigid version?

Rigid. There wasn’t a suspension option in 1992 (IIRC).

Still got it. Must get round to removing the old BB (which lasted until last year). Use at SS as my local, play in the woods fun bike.

higgo
    Free Member

My Lavadome (with Project 2s) was £559. It’s a ’94 but I purchased it on Nov 13th 1993.

I still have the receipt if it’s of any use for your claim – not to pass off as your own but as a reference. It’s (probably) too faded to scan but I could pop it in the post to you.

aw
    Free Member

I have a kona cindercone (97) and it is superb…

ziggy
    Free Member

Well I used to sell Konas back then, but I’m pretty sure I remember selling these for £459.99, no discounts in those days as there were never enough to go around 🙂

spooky_b329

My 97(98?) Lava Dome was £420 rigid or £520ish with suspension.

It got nicked in 1999ish…I sent all the receipts off to the contents insurance for various upgrades (£500 worth) thinking they’d help when they tried to negotiate me down. Got a letter back agreeing to all that, plus an extra £100 as the RRP of the current Lava Dome had recently gone up!! And I still had all the old bits like wheels, fork, saddle, bars 🙂

Ripley
    Free Member

£525 RRP with P2 forks in the summer of ’93 – I had just finished high school and worked all summer to buy it.

Sticks in the memory that one, it was my first ‘proper’ MTB as an upgrade from my Raleigh Mustang!. Got it from Madgetts Cycles, Diss, Norfolk.

I used that bike until 2002 when the frame died. *wipes away tear*

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘’93 Kona Lava Dome – any idea of RRP?’ is closed to new replies.