Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 9/10 speed compatability
  • JamieMc
    Free Member

Im looking to upgrade my cranks to an XT 10 speed 40/28 double. At the moment ive got an old XT crank with TA chinook 40/28 rings and running a standard 9 speed setup with the lower shift range limited on the front.

With there be any problems using a 9 speed front shifter with a 10 speed crank? i.e. is there any differecne in the chainring spacing on a 10 speed double compared to a DIY double or is the 10 speed double rings just the same as the two outer rings on a standard tripple crankset?! 😕

JamieMc
    Free Member

Anyone got any ideas??

njee20
    Free Member

Be fine. Why though?

singlespeedstu

I was told that it would work but you’d get some chain rub on the mech and you needed to match the mech to the crank to stop it rubbing.

Not tried it myself though.*

*In typical STW stylee.

juan
    Free Member

Apparently you are supposed to change the rear mech too, but I still can’t see why.

njee20
    Free Member

Apparently you are supposed to change the rear mech too, but I still can’t see why.

When you go 10 speed, not if you’re just running a 10 speed chainset on 9 speed.

What’s not to understand? Do you get why you can’t use a SRAM mech with Shimano shifters? It’s exactly the same reason you can’t use a 9 speed mech with 10 speed shifters – the mech will move 2 sprockets for each click of the shifter.

JamieMc
    Free Member

Be fine. Why though?

njee20 – Just bought a whippet frame and swaping over kit from my old race bike. There are some clearance issues with the pressfit BB shell and 9 speed triple cranks. Ill give my old crankset a go and see how it fits but just wanted to clear up if it would be ok for a 10 speed double with the 9 speed front mech/shifter. Its a good excuse to shed a wee bit of weight too.

Incedentally, anyone know anywhere with good deals on an XT double. I’d love an FSA K-force double but they are a wee bit out of my price range

JamieMc
    Free Member

juan
    Free Member

Do you get why you can’t use a SRAM mech with Shimano shifters?

Yes because the ratio of cable pull is different from a sram and shimano shitfers.
    So basically you’re telling me if I have a shimano I should change the rear mech and if I have a sram I should not?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘9/10 speed compatability’ is closed to new replies.