Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • 90’s steel konas
  • samuelr
    Free Member

For some reason I really really want one.
    Any one have one in regular use? What are they like?
    Anyone want to sell me theirs if it’s languishing in a garage unused.
    Post pictures of yours here for me to drool over and to convince myself I don’t want one.

kcal

plenty about.
    Have a modified ’95 Kilaeua — single speed conversion.
    Was out on it yesterday in fact. Bloody lovely bike.

just, right.

plus-one

Had a few lovely things to look at. Great as commute/nip about town but shit proper off road compared to modern 🙂

Here’s some I had

jamj1974

They are still great bikes – if used as they were originally intended. They are fantastic on tight, twisty singletrack and as long as structurally sound handle small drops and moderately rough trails – just fine. They will typically work well with a fork of up to about 80-100mm.

Spin
    Free Member

My ’89 lava dome is once agan my main bike.

Mat

My Dad has a 21” 1993 explosif frameset languishing in his loft if that was of interest?

Kuco

I had an 89 Cindercone. Gotta get the pics of it scanned one day. They were good in the day but I imagine much better bikes are around today. Shame modern Kona hardtails look ugly as ****.

Spin
    Free Member

I imagine much better bikes are around today.

You’d think so wouldn’t you but I looked into replacing mine recently and came to the conclusion that for how I use it there wasn’t anything sufficiently better to warrant the cost.

samuelr
    Free Member

Mat, I think a 21” would be too big. Im only 5’9. Unless someone know otherwise.
    Thanks for the offer!!

Mat

Yeah probs too big, felt stretched to me at 5’11”!

Gunz
    Free Member

Sam, just marking this thread. I have a ’94 Lava Dome I bought a while ago but haven’t got round to restoring. Stupidly I can’t remember what size it is as I’ve had it for a while. I’m away from home on nights until 6 Apr so will mail you on my return.

jamj1974

I ride a – 19” and it fits like a glove at 6’ 1/2” with 34” inside leg and 6’ 2” span.

earl_brutus

93 lava dome here. Singlespeeded and with super narrow bars.Kona
    https://m.pinkbike.com/u/earl-brutus/album/Mobile/

gavinpearce
    Free Member

1998 (?) was blue now black Explosif – came originally with bombers (why did I throw them out?) currently has a pair of pace rigid carbon forks on RC31? At this stage s bit worried about my memory! Last ride off road was about 10yrs ago. Used it in lakes, peaks, CYB, Alps, Chilterns and Surrey. Loved it but probably now it wd be scarey compared to today’s bikes. Elegantly simple though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to have a rigid (obvs) 92 Fire Mountain. It was good.

I now have a modern rigid 29er and it’s just as simple and elegant but vastly better. It has big wheels, wide rims, big tubeless tyres, a carbon fork, discs, wavy bars and shortly to have no front mech. No contest. If you want simple you don’t have to back in time 25 years.

jamj1974

If you want simple you don’t have to back in time 25 years.

True. But the bikes of 25 years ago ride just as well as they always did. It’s not always about the direct comparison with today.

Lummox

I’ve spied one hanging in the neighbours garage ‘unloved’

one day it shall be mine…………….

Bez

Had four or five over the years, maybe more. 93 Kilauea was my only bike for 8 years (still got it, it’s my commuter). Also spent many happy miles on a 96 Lava Dome (below).

They ride great. Old school, but never outdated.

Oh, and I’m the right size for a 21″ frame… but I really don’t want to go down that road again 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Decent rigid steel bike like most of their day.

No magic to to them beyond branding.

jamj1974

No magic to to them beyond branding

And geometry. Rocky Mountain, Brodie and Kona had that nailed way before others. Try riding a Trek 970 back to back with an Explosif or RM Blizzard. Nothing like as good.

Spin
    Free Member

Decent rigid steel bike like most of their day.

Actually quite different from a lot of what was about in the day. At least they were in 89 when mine dates from.

Alpha1653

@samuelr: Quite simply, they’re great old skool bikes. I had a 97 Kona Cindercone for my first ever mountain bike and I still have the frame languishing in my garage. I rebuilt it a few years ago and had a disc brake conversion done by Argos Cycles, powder coated etc etc. The full project is here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=187958

I’ve sold almost all of the components now less the Thomson seat post and seat collar. It’s never going to get built up by me again so I really should let it go at some point. Drop me a line if you’re interested; I’d love to see someone else getting some use out of the thing! I’m in Bristol if that makes any difference.

nemesis
    Free Member

I still have my 95 Kilauea. Currently unbuilt up in the attic but may build it up again one day. Rides great but worth noting that the rear tyre clearance isn’t great – a 2.0 is the limit and a fairly close fit even at that.

samuelr
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I have a 150mm full sus to use on days out and anything more strenuous than a canal path. It’s a n+1 to use in summer to ride allong the canals of manchester and the gentler off road routes. I can stop at the beer gardens without the fear of leaving an expensive £££ bike outside when going to the get the beers.

jamj1974

Do it Samuel!

molgrips
    Free Member

True. But the bikes of 25 years ago ride just as well as they always did. It’s not always about the direct comparison with today.

How can it not be? Having ridden my modern bike, I can see how much better it is. I can’t forget the last 5 years if I get on an older bike.

olddog

I’ve got a 1991/2 Explosif with Pace RC34 forks that’s doing nothing in my garage. Where do you live? I think it’s a 19″ frame – I’d have to check tomorrow

murf
    Free Member

I’ve got a ’96 Cinder Cone that I bought brand new. I still use it often and ride all the same trails that I do on my Stumpjumper.
    Currently 1×10 using a Deore thumbshifter, 100mm Rockshox Reba, dropper post and original Shimano SPD pedals.
    It handles great on swoopy singletrack and it’s only limitation is the bravery of the person riding it 😁

CC

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve a lovely 95 cinder cone in clothes peg blue but I cant post pix as I’ve no idea anymore how it works. Love the bike

jamj1974

How can it not be? Having ridden my modern bike, I can see how much better it is. I can’t forget the last 5 years if I get on an older bike.

You don’t have an old bike to ride just as you do a modern one. You have an old bike to ride it as it was designed to be ridden – as that is it’s purpose.

Go and enjoy riding whichever bike you want – it’s all good.👍🏼

samuelr
    Free Member

Olddog. I live in Manchester. Where in the country are you? How much were you looking for?
    Cheers

trumpton
    Free Member

get one. Retro bikes are great on canal towpaths and more sedate offroad. They can also handle other offroad too, although not as well as modern bikes if rigid. With forks I can imagine they’d be quite handy.

eddie
    Free Member

I’ve got a 98 Kona caldera frame and project 2’s that I keep meaning to put up for sale but have never got round to it. Orginally came with 120mm forks
    Message me if that’s of any interest

eddie
    Free Member
    olddog

I’m just outside Leeds. You can have it for nowt it’s just taking up space at the moment.

I was using as a commuter until about 4 years ago until I snapped the chain
    it’s been sat in the garage since.

It’s actually Pace RC30 rigid forks. Frame hasn’t got a size on but I think it’s 19.5. But I am tall 6′ 2″ but the saddle is a good 6″ higher than the bars and the stem is loooong so I think it will size down

Is there anyway of posting a picture on here easily?

nedrapier

Boom, there you go, offers all over!

I’ve got a 90’s steel bike in the Pacific North West mould. Set up rigid and singlespeed. I ride it regularly and I bloody love it.

brassneck

I have a 90 something Kona something hanging in my garage in NW Hants .. purchased from djuc_wun once of this parish and used for many years as a commuter. Medium I think but felt smallish .. 17″??
    Resprayed in ‘kermit green’ with some Kona decals re attached, but doesn’t look like any production one I’ve seen. Think it was the cheaper end but I really like riding it.

Has a seatpost, a likely seized in BB (taper natch, and I think a triple and possibly front mech still attached) .. not even V brake strictly speaking but I bodged one on.

If anyone local-ish (Reading, Swindon, Andover) would use it DM me, yours for a charity donation of your choosing. have some rigid forks (Orange F8? Bonty Carbon Switchblades, and I think a disk only P2) that would go nicely but I’ll be selling those on.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Actually quite different from a lot of what was about in the day

Really? I get that they were the first to popularise sloping top tubes, but in terms of how they ride (ie materials, geometry) how are they so different to the mainstream?

Alpha1653

Forgot to mention, mine’s a 19 inch frame. I’m 6’2 so needed a long seatpost so it should fit you fine I reckon.

natrix
    Free Member

Mmmmmm, canti brakes……………

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘90’s steel konas’ is closed to new replies.