Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • £900 full sus for a 14 year old
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Friend of mine has set me a task to find a decent full sus bike for his 14 year old. He’s about 5 feet 9 inches, so a medium size will be ok for now and a year or three from now.

So, what’s good value around the £900 mark? 100mm to 150mm travel, but 120 is probably the sweet spot. Forest of Dean riding, plus going down ‘the jumps’ with his mates.

GO!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

If its new then you might struggle but there are a few about like at Decathlon http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-91-2013-mountain-bike-black-id_8213074.html

Or this doesn’t look too bad Carrera Banshee

Having said all that look on Pauls Cycles where they have Mongoose Salvo’s, Cannondale Rz 120’s, Cube XMS’s, Giant Anthem’s and Trance’s all around the £900 mark.

Giant Trance or the Mongoose Salvo would be my choice on the basis of versatility.

br
    Free Member

At that price he’d be better with a HT, plus far more suited for jumping and the like.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

HT surely…

if i was 14 this would appeal to me….heck i’m 41 and it appeals to me!!

linky

Scapegoat

A mate of mine has one of those Banshees. It’s massive, it’s very heavy and I’d be surprised if a 14 yr old could get any use out of it.

I’d say hooligan hardtail would be the way to go. Does it have to be new?

gaberin
    Free Member

Build one! Out of second hand parts, you can get decent full sus frames off here for around £200.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Whathaveisaidnow – Member
    HT surely…

if i was 14 this would appeal to me….heck i’m 41 and it appeals to me!!

linky

Thats a goodun.

Lifer
    Free Member

Ride IO (old Southerndownhill forum) is good for second hand stuff, but descriptions can be a bit looser on there….

hainman
    Free Member

Rickos I’ve had the rockrider 9.1 for 2 years and its a great bike esp for the money well specd and rides really well

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep Rickos, don’t let the general snobbery against cheaper full suss put you off 😉

Daffy

more than his budget, but not by much – Specialized Camber Comp

Duane…
    Free Member

Has he ridden much before? If not, definitely a hardtail, will learn a lot more, plus as said, better for jumps, wheelies, and skids.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You don’t use a full sus for going down the jumps. He needs a hardtail.

grtdkad

That Nukeproof is the dogs! #wantone

Rickos
    Free Member

I should have known STW would be all “You don’t want a full sus, you want a hardtail you do.”

Anyway, he rides regularly off road on proper off road stuff and has outgrown his hardtail. This will be that mythical one bike to do everything, but ‘down the jumps’ is only a small part of his riding. Some is on road with his Mum, some is proper off road in the woods and some is round Verderers, etc. Nowt wrong with the lad wanting a full sus bike and he’d be gutted if he was given a hardtail just because we all think it’s better for him. He loves Kona for some reason…

Anyway, thanks for the ideas – may well go down the 2nd hand route but with a brand new Deore groupset from one of the German sites.

gaberin
    Free Member

Get a second hand frame, hope wheels, fox forks and finishing kit. Then get a groupset from one of the german sites (i got an slx one for £180) and some shimano deore brakes off rose bikes.
    Should work out at less than £900, my build with the above was around £700.

skeetsgb
    Free Member

a medium to last 3 years ??

i would certainly have a look at his dad/brothers etc to see how tall they are. he will still have a couple of growth spirts left yet. he could reach 6ft by 16 easily.

its hard to call the size at that age when you want the bike to last.

some mediums are a small in some brands and some are a large etc. so definatly look at that also.

do you go for a bike that fits now and wont fit in a years time, or buy a slightly bigger bike now, so he grows into it.

hmmmm

gaberin
    Free Member

A medium should last 3 years, and anyway if you get a second hand frame, then if you have to sell it to get something bigger, you don’t lose much on it.

soulman

Bought my lad a 5 year old Orange 5 pro and stuck a short stem and inline post on it, great bike and will fit him for ages….

Scapegoat

You don’t want the bike to last, you want it to fit him now. Do it right and you’ll only need to change the frame when he reaches 6 foot at 16 15 😉
    It’s false economy to get a bike a kid will grow into, as he won’t enjoy riding it if it’s too big, and it’s the first few months that will seal the deal in terms of attitude to riding it. I built my lad a 16″ mmmbop for his 13th birthday, but was 5’9″ at the time. Needless to say it was ragged plenty. He’s reached 6 foot now and has swapped the frame for this:

Teaching him to swap the bits to the new frame himself was a great pleasure

myles91
    Free Member

Have a look at Santa Cruz 4x or other full sus 4x frames can build into nice xc hack bikes, pretty versatile. If I was 14 again I’d want the beefed up frame over skinny xc frames even if it was a lot heavier.

Rickos
    Free Member

Just reviving this thread to show what we did in the end.

Kona Dawg frame and some other bits from eBay, raided my parts bin and then bought some new stuff and we’ve got a pretty good bike for around £800. Best bargain were the Bonty Rhythm Elite wheels for £100 delivered from eBay.

Typical teenager decided that an orange and green chain guide was a ‘cool’ idea!

Tom’s bike by Rick T., on Flickr

Murray

Nice looking bike. I bet the lad’s happy.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘£900 full sus for a 14 year old’ is closed to new replies.