Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 422 total)
  • 90 day exercise-every-day challenge to take us up to April 1st
  • Earl
    Free Member

I’m in.

This is a good quick stretch routine that’s less yoga flavored.

I add in a extra 2 min for:
    -reach for the sky on tip toes
    -trunk twist

Tom 20min stretch

vicksplace

Yes I’m in, wi be good to have some extra motivation and I need to start getting back my lost fitness from this year. Gently though.. does an ebike count??

jimmy

Went for a run in the hills today. Was an important mental hurdle as I’ve not run much / far / hills for a few years. In trying to build up to hill running (which I love) again, I got stuck in the mental trap of “I’m not fit enough”. So just went and did it. Ran 50+% further then anything last year, up and down hills, in ice and snow. Came out smiling in every way, the euphoria from trail running in challenging conditions is hard to beat. Intend to do similar each weekend in Jan and Feb while biking is at a low ebb for a proper fitness boost to start the year.

https://strava.app.link/xAW5SZNxIcb

stripeysocks
    Free Member

BRRRR. Just about ok enough to go out on the bike but so cold when I got home it took 15 mins of hopping about (curtains closed!) to old disco to warm up – a hot drink was just not enough (FX: teeth chattering)

MoreCashThanDash

Yesterday’s ride got abandoned at 5 miles in as even towpaths were frozen sheet ice, but 10 miles done eventually.

Dragged the kids on a walk to a cafe two miles away today, and the trails had defrosted nicely. Now snowing quite nicely and I may get the old Soul out of retirement in the morning 🤔

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Recently got my hands on a cheap smart turbo and have been enjoying the Sufferfest with a couple of runs and the odd box fit class, guess l probably do something about 4/5x a week already. So throwing in some yoga, which lve tried to take up unsuccessfully before, l should be do able to get to 7x… In please.

dannybgoode

Got today’s exercise in – a nice 30 minute snow stomp with the mutts. Always feel a snow walk counts as time and a half as well, seems to be so much more hard work…

sandboy

Another road ride today, only out for an hour recovery ride but the temptation to work hard to warm up was difficult to ignore!! MTBing with the boy in the morning so tomorrow is sorted too. Does anyone know anything about cumulative fatigue from riding every day? I’m pretty good at knowing when to go hard and when to take it easy but would appreciate hearing any experiences.

mogrim

@Ro5ey

l should be do able to get to 7x… In please.

If you’re feeling knackered the Sufferfest also has some decent recovery videos, and I really rate the cadence drills for easy days. Apart from the yoga 🙂

mogrim

Does anyone know anything about cumulative fatigue from riding every day? I’m pretty good at knowing when to go hard and when to take it easy but would appreciate hearing any experiences.

Massively depends on what you’re riding, how old you are, etc. My general rule of thumb is to have at least two easy days a week, and if you’re only doing the one sport you should probably make that three. I’m not a coach though, but at 49y.o. it works for me 😀

stripeysocks
    Free Member

There’s always 30 mins of Corpse Pose as a backstop option!

I’m a big believer in the benefits of consistency and the first tool I get out to achieve that is basically lying to myself, lying like a rug. “I will just jog 5 mins and walk the rest” “I will just do a sun salutation and then 27 mins of Corpse Pose” – it gets me started and then something 95% as good as a Proper Sesh magically gets done anyway!

Murray

I’m in. I hate the mud so may stick to the lanes though.

sandboy

Massively depends on what you’re riding, how old you are, etc.

Having recently celebrated a significant birthday making me very slightly older than your good self 😀, I completed the pre Christmas 100 day challenge with 70 days of riding but didn’t ride at all for 2 weeks due to illness and have ridden almost every day over the holidays. It’s mostly been road rides of between 20-50 miles but also some MTB rides of 10-20 miles, very little elevation due to living in Norfolk.
    I have a daily routine of stretching and using my foam roller and to be honest I’m feeling quite strong at the moment but after committing to this challenge I’m aware that overdoing it will be counterproductive.

mogrim

It’s mostly been road rides of between 20-50 miles but also some MTB rides of 10-20 miles, very little elevation due to living in Norfolk.

TBH it doesn’t sound that much, although as usual that does depend on the intensity. I’d be aiming for something like a couple of interval rides per week, a short but hard tempo ride, and a long easy spin on Sunday. The other days I’d be looking at yoga/recovery spins. Basically make the hard rides hard, and the easy rides easy.

Where I definitely think you run the risk of burn out is doing 7 rides a week while trying to keep the pace up – you really should be aiming for a couple of days of proper hard rides, and the rest a lot easier. A bit of variety FTW 🙂

TiRed

Hour on the rollers yesterday. 90 minute gentle walk with mrs TiRed followed by an hour on Zwift today. Will be a faster two-hour walk tomorrow (8.5 miles).

I have a nice pair of Scarpa shoes for walking. Now thinking of some walking kit for fast 2-3 hr walks.

Everything in Zone 2 at the moment.

vicksplace

17 miles on the sussex roads and climbed up onto the downs today. Nice and gentle on the ebike. Maybe a walk tomorrow, definitely some stretching and core.

jodafett

Yoga, a two hr walk and an hour on the turbo yesterday. I had planned a big road ride but lots of ice lurking under the fresh snow put me off that idea!

dannybgoode

New gym opens across the road tomorrow and it’s an open day today so going to see what I’ve signed up to. Don’t think we can actually use the machines today though so will have to think of something else to do for my 30 mins

scotroutes

Snowing here.

Off for a swim…

scotroutes

Today’s lesson;

When walking out through floating ice, push it aside with your hands, not your legs. We’re both now suffering from cut shins, knees and thighs.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Scotroutes wins!
    Did about ??5mile run today (middle bit was walk/run with a friend but probably about 3 miles running and then it was a mile there + a mile back).
    Really feeling the aftermath of the weights 2 days ago!

5plusn8
    Free Member

Blimey did you swim in that?
    I was freezing on the north downs this morning, only managed 1hr 10 mins.

scotroutes

Not much room for swimming, more dipping, though I always try to get in a few strokes.

Today..

Friday..

mogrim

Shivering just watching that!

We did a cold 50km road ride this morning – normally we’d do more, but the forecast was sub-zero and making the most of a mate’s birthday we did a shorter ride with a proper cafe stop in the middle. The fourth member of our group is from Southern Spain, and chickened out of the ride due to the temperature. He will be reminded of this repeatedly in the future 😀

sandboy

Basically make the hard rides hard, and the easy rides easy.

Thanks mogrim, that’s more or less what I’ve been doing since September and I’m definitely getting stronger. I really hope I can keep it going but at any time I’m feeling jaded I will most certainly take a few days off pedalling.
    The boy wasn’t too keen on the low temperatures first thing so we were back home after an hour so I went out again on the road bike. Back to work tomorrow so will probably head out on the bike tomorrow evening.

baddddad
    Free Member

IN! Thanks for setting up

TiRed

20km Zone 1/2 walk in three hours. And I’ve come to the conclusion that walking is great. It’s not cycling and is never going to get the intensity of a good 100km fixed ride. But a nice rest day from cycling. Will manage 30 min daily at least.

Can I have the rest of the week off now? 😉

scotroutes

And I’ve come to the conclusion that walking is great.

Agreed. Did a 8km walk round Rothiemurchus in the snow this afternoon with my wife. It was exercise, a welcome break from cycling, sociable and very enjoyable. Mixing it up is the way I best enjoyed the 100 day challenge and meant it didn’t need to be exhausting to the point I couldn’t carry on.

MoreCashThanDash

A stupidly slow 10 mile pootle round the local country park this afternoon. Never seen it so busy on the paths, even at the height of summer. Not big groups, nearly all families out walking, despite it being 0°, and sloppy mud with occasional sneaky ice patches.

Wasn’t sure of the conditions so had ice tyres on, so it felt like a bit of a workout.

mogrim

Thanks mogrim, that’s more or less what I’ve been doing since September and I’m definitely getting stronger. I really hope I can keep it going but at any time I’m feeling jaded I will most certainly take a few days off pedalling.

I wouldn’t want to do more than 4 days of any given sport / week, although I must admit I’ve been running this week 6 days… Mixing it up is key, otherwise you’re definitely going to burn out.

And one thing that’s been amusing me all afternoon after watching @scotroutes’ video: how we end up finding similar idiots who are prepared to do stupid things in crappy weather… He’s there with his wife and 3-4 other friends swimming in an icy loch… I’ve got my mates that are all prepared to do running ultras at a week’s notice. And it ends up seeming normal 😀

scotroutes

I’ve just realised that the auto-thumbnail for todays video looks like I’m attacking Janet with that ice axe 🙂

wingnuts

Given that for the last year I’ve done nothing I think by my standards its an alright start. On the 1st 1.5 hours path and track ride which reminded me how much skill I’ve lost. Then a real mud fest which generated as much effort in the cleaning of the bike afterwards followed by 5 mile walk in the afternoon with Mrs W. She’s on a bit of a mission as well so thats getting both of us in the groove hopefully. Yesterday another hours walk together. Today is going to be the challenge. I’m working from home and she’s in a school. I’m going out for a ride and looking for a yoga vid to do when she gets back. Will try one of the links posted earlier probably. Might even weigh myself.

dannybgoode

Yesterday I did a short walk and a go on the spin bike – just scraped 30 mins in total. Today though I am going to check out the new gym – it opens today and in all likelihood will close today as new lockdown measures are announced 😀

I am trying to tackle this like stopping drinking though. Instead of committing to 90 days of exercise I am just going to do at least 30 mins *today*. Makes it less daunting I find…

5plusn8
    Free Member

Yesterday I managed bike ride, 15 mins brisk walk and then 2hrs long walk. Today I managed 15 mins of a daft exercise vid my wife did, killed me. I think I need a rest day.

petedee
    Free Member

Joined the Strava club a few days back, so count me in. Will be good to have this motivation. So far mtbing, cycling, runs, walks,home workouts, yoga.

scotroutes

A couple of hours out on the bike. I’d fitted Conti Spike Claws which were pretty much essential but rigid singlespeed wasn’t the best option on the rutted ice tracks I was on much of the time.

Snaffled a beer when I was out too. I think I’m in debit now so my next ride will have to include stashing a couple of cans. #beerienteering

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Intended to do an hour on the Ridgeway but it was more like half that as I ran out of path that wasn’t terrifyingly muddy and rutted. Part of me wishes I had a 26″ as the 29″ I have feels a bit like being perched on a tractor crossed with a penny-farthing on terrain like this.

MoreCashThanDash

Lovely bright sunny lunchtime today with roads dry and ice free. So my boss overran a meeting by half an hour, and I had to resort to circuits and stretches at 5pm by which time we had freezing rain.

mogrim

Fairly easy training session last night – 4×2′ running intervals, then a swim with yet more intervals.

As an aside, the goverment advice is to ensure enclosed spaces are well-ventilated. The bloody idiots at the gym have interpreted this to meaning leave the poolside doors open, which is lovely when it’s 0C outside…

Sandwich

Snaffled a beer when I was out too. I think I’m in debit now so my next ride will have to include stashing a couple of cans.

@scotroutes
    Beerobics counts as exercise. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 422 total)

The topic ‘90 day exercise-every-day challenge to take us up to April 1st’ is closed to new replies.