Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 9 speed to 11 speed shifters
  • nuthead53
    Free Member

Just wondering if I went from a 9 speed shimano tiagra Shifter to a 11 speed, would I just need to change the back cassette? Currently have a shimano 105 double crankset. Not sure which model.
    Thanks

vincienup
    Free Member

The cable pull ratio is going to be incorrect and you’d need to abuse the limit screws to prevent overshifting. I believe the newer RD’s have slightly different geometry too, which would further compound the issues you’ll run into.

You could put this together (11sp shifter, 9sp cassette and 9sp RD) and it would work after a fashion, but it wouldn’t offer a particularly indexed shift in the normal sense off the term, it would offer really quite poor shift quality – it would be something you’d possibly want to do to get out of a hole but probably not something to do of choice.

nuthead53
    Free Member

Thanks,so the front and rear derailleurs would need changing too. Could. I keep the same crankset and change the chain rings? I bet they change the fitting so you can’t do that.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I reckon you’d be better off buying a complete groupset including a new chainset. That’s if your rear wheel will accept an 11 speed cassette.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘9 speed to 11 speed shifters’ is closed to new replies.