Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 9 Speed SRAM Shifter with a Shimano 10 Speed Clutch Rear Mech… will it work?
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Some other forums/blogs are suggesting that a 9 Speed SRAM X-9 Shifter will work with a Shimano 10 Speed Clutch Rear Mech as the actuation ration on a 9sp SRAM is very similar to that of a 10sp Shimano shifter.

I’m interested in any real-life experience of trying this as I’d like to use a clutch rear mech on my 1×9 set up.

A 9-speed 11-36 cassette would also be useful but I don’t expect that anytime soon as the big marketing seems to be for 10/11 speed.

Cheers

Paceman

honourablegeorge

Works fine – supposedly this mod makes it better, there are folks who say it works fine without

VanHalen

Yes. You need a spacer or couple of washers under the cable at the mech to tweak the pull ratio. I’ve not tried it yet but my next mech will be a clutch one.

There was a thread a couple of days ago on it. With links to a thread where people with too much time machine up posh spacers. Depending on how worn your kit is it’ll prob work without a spacer.

Paceman
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ll investigate further!

tmb467
    Free Member

6mm spacer needed I think

Use hope brake shims…other shims are available

Northwind

I’ll get some pics of mine today, just making up a second spacer for another bike. Works very well, though the quarter inch mentioned in the other thread is just a little big I reckon, I ended up relieving the edge slightly to lower the exit angle and effective “height” and it’s almost perfect.

Washers worked fine but were a wee bit of a pain to work with. (OTOH, I’m the worst machinist, so while firing up my toy lathe I had my usual thoughts- “Most people couldn’t do this, I’m so awesome” and also “Everyone else in the world who could do this would do it better”)

Anyway- doing it with no spacer just doesn’t work. Some people are used to having gears that are rotten, and they might be happy with it- you get a few gears that work fine. But it’s like having a twisted mech or totally knackered cables. You know that mate who insists his bike’s in great shape and you’re all mad for spending money on new parts? He’d get on fine.

ajantom

What about a thumbshifter on friction 😉

Northwind

OK, wee bit late… Nothing much to add to the party

IMG_1717 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

This one shows how it works- the cable pulls the arm through an arc, so lengthening the arm changes the pull ratio

IMG_1718 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

I need to take another look at this, the mech position at the bottom end isn’t quite perfect- it works perfectly well on the trail but it’s lacking in margin for error. Not sure yet if the adaptor is too square or if it needs to be a little wider, think it’s the former.

daveagiles
    Free Member

I’m going to give this a go seen as I need a new mech.

Would this modification work with a SLX medium cage mech like the one below?

http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/mtb-rear-derailleurs/shimano-slx-rd-m675-slx-10-speed-shadow-design-rear-derailleur

daveagiles
    Free Member

My main concern is that the arm which the cable attaches onto looks smaller.

I assume the modification will work regardless of the mech, as long as it is a shimano one as they all will have to have the same rate of pull?

Northwind

Yup- just put one of those on the Soda, with my slightly tweaked version 2 spacer (it’s just fractionally thinner). Works a charm. Still not totally convinced it’s perfect mind but it’s so close, I won’t be spending any more time on it. Might go back to v1 and take a .1mm off it, if I can be bothered…

JoeG
    Free Member

A 9-speed 11-36 cassette would also be useful but I don’t expect that anytime soon

Shimano makes/made one; they’re heavy, though. HG61

daveagiles
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the reply Northwind.

Ill let you know how I get on!

njee20
    Free Member

Shimano makes/made one; they’re heavy, though. HG61

12-36. Which is narrower than 11-34.

Northwind

You can replace the 12T cog though. (I had a hard time with this, the 11T I had lying around was thicker than the deore one, so needed machined down, and it’s as hard as a hard thing so timeconsuming to work with. But ymmv!) Still heavy though.

I’d say, if you’re buying a cassette and a mech you probably might as well do the whole thing. But if you’re retaining other bits then the mix can make sense.(I’m running true 10-speed on one bike and 9.5-speed on 2)

daveagiles
    Free Member

Northwind, would you mind measuring the piece you have made so I could get one made up tomo?

Northwind

I’ll try to remember tonight. I think it’s 6.8mm x 12mm x12mm (the width isn’t that important but 12mm fits rather nicely onto the mech). Hole is 5mm. Cable cut I just used the force so not sure how deep it is, about half as deep as a cable is thick.

daveagiles
    Free Member

Cheers Northwind.

Northwind

Bum, I forgot- I’m out tomorrow but I might have a chance to check it on friday morning. I don’t really want to rely on that thickness being correct tbh

wysiwyg
    Free Member

.236″ is the goto size. 6mm really but thats inc the depth of the groove.

daveagiles
    Free Member

Cheers for the help form Northwind and this thread.

Had the first ride out on the mech with the adapter. Works so well.

The clutch just works. No more noise from the swingarm!

robj20
    Free Member

Just stumbled on this, think i will give it ago with my X0 9 speed shifters, anyone confirmed if the SLX mech works.

Northwind

SLX works fine- got one in my soda now (with X9 shifter)

robj20
    Free Member

Are you using a spacer? Been wanting a clutch mech on my 9 speed for ages.

Northwind

Aye, just exactly the same as my XT in the pics above (that also worked on XTR non-shadowplus, haven’t tried a Deore Zee or Saint but no reason to assume it won’t work)

robj20
    Free Member

One last thing thats confusing me is the direct mount, whats that? Looking at the XT shadow plus.

http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/mtb-rear-derailleurs/shimano-deore-xt-rear-derailleur-m786-shadow-

stompweaver

Don’t worry about it rob. The mech just bolts to mech hanger as normal. I am running that mech with a 9 speed SRAM X9 shifter and it works perfectly. My solution is a few washers so it’s not as elegant as Northwind’s spacer but it works fine. A clutch mech is one of those things you wonder how you managed without. Get one 🙂

Entonox
    Free Member

I’m running this setup and it’s great (6mm spacer, XT GS mech, X9 shifter).

Just out of interest is it possible to get the drivetrain running silently? I’m getting some chain noise under load on the two largest sprockets. Will I be able to dial it out by tweaking or am I wasting my time?
    Shifting performance is fine.

Cheers

Northwind

Aye, washers work fine too- was a wee bit more faff getting the cable fitted right but that’s really the only downside.

Entonox- I get a little noise in the biggest rings but I get that with my all-10speed Saint setup too, I think it might just be a new-Shimano or clutchy thing. Smaller cassette didn’t do it but kind of missed the point.

Entonox
    Free Member

Thanks Northwind. I’ll leave it as is then.

robj20
    Free Member

Just ordered the SLX dont think the XT is worth an extra £20. Sure i have some square nuts somewhere.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Will this work with a xo gripshift? I assume it would just wonder if anyone had tried.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Just looking into this now for my slackline. So what’s the reason for going for a shimano mech? Is this because there is only 1 type of SRAM clutch mech and the shimano offerings are cheaper?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Sorry for the resurrection, but could anyone point me to a thread that has a definitive answer on this?
    I would like to use a 9sd XO shifter with a/any clutch rear mech to give it a go, so forgive the lack of understanding as this is the first thread I have found on the subject!

Any advice appreciated 😆

Cheers.

vincienup
    Free Member

Pics above show it all really.
    A small stack of washers or homemade spacer to give you +6mm cable length at the clamp and your SRAM 9spd shifter and Shimano 10 spd clutch mech will be best friends…

slackalice
    Free Member

Hey 2unfit…. knock yourself out with this lot of info:

Bike Wiki drivetrain compatibility stuff

Or alternatively, just use Sram to Sram, works for me 🙂

Quite why people want to complicate/compromise shifting by mix n match kinda baffles me really. Must have too much time on their hands 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Has anyone looked at whether or not a similar spacer would get a 10 speed Shimano mech working with 9 speed shifters or are they too different altogether?

lardman
    Free Member

Onzadog – Member
    Has anyone looked at whether or not a similar spacer would get a 10 speed Shimano mech working with 9 speed shifters or are they too different altogether?

this….
    Do you reckon a 9speed shimano shifter/drivetrain might be able to use a shimano clutch mech with similar mods?

njee20
    Free Member

Nope, very different cable pull. This only works because they’re nearly the same.

lardman
    Free Member

ok, thanks Njee.
    Bugger.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘9 Speed SRAM Shifter with a Shimano 10 Speed Clutch Rear Mech… will it work?’ is closed to new replies.