• This topic has 29 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by mashr.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 9 speed mech with clutch ? Shimano.
  • weeksy

Getting a lot of slap on my sons rear mech/chain so thought i’d look into a plan or two for it. He’s had a few chain drops, not loads, but enough that i’d like to resolve if viable for a reasonable price.

Simplest short term is to find a 9 speed rear with a decent clutch mech, but i’m struggling to work out what in the Shimano range actually that is.

https://www.liv-cycling.com/int/embolden-2-2017

Option 2 is to replace the lot, but again i’m struggling with what his BB actually is… It’s not an ‘outer’ like the generic Shimano/Hope style etc so i don’t actually know whether it’s a screw in thread and could be replaced in the usual way. It seems like a flush fit and i’d need to either borrow a tool or take to LBS i think as i’m not convinced i have what is needed for it.

chainrings are direct mount so it’s not like i can just 1X it with a narrow wide sadly…

Thoughts, options and opinions sought.

stevied
    Free Member

I think Shimano only do 10-sp with a clutch.
    FSA BB is likely to be a square taper type so would just be a screw in. Would need a tool to remove but a simple job for the LBS.

weeksy

Hmmmmm Don’t mind throwing a bit of money but it starts stacking up then, even if raiding the spares pile for a chain and a cassette, the Cranks are going to cost me £50 and the mech/shifter £50+

Thanks for the info though… even if it wasn’t exactly the best news lol 🙂

euain

A chain guide like this: Bionicon Chain Guide?

I may have a new one lying on a shelf I’d throw your way for a tenner 😃

stevied
    Free Member

I can’t see how the rings would not be changeable? They are 96/68mm BCD from what I can find so I’m sure you’d be able to put a N/W on there.
    Superstar do 96mm rings and I’d guess the current ones bolt on from the back?

ssboggy

Have a look here, a 9 speed SRAM shifter works with a 10 speed Shimano rear mech Link

philjunior
    Free Member

I’m not convinced you’d need to change the rings. I’m running 10S with at least one 9s ring on my commuter no problem.

You might need to make sure there’s no gap between the rings that a 10s chain can fall into though. I would initially chuck a 10S mech and cassette on and see how it goes.

weeksy

I can’t see how the rings would not be changeable? They are 96/68mm BCD from what I can find so I’m sure you’d be able to put a N/W on there.
    Superstar do 96mm rings and I’d guess the current ones bolt on from the back?

They don’t come off. No bolts.

PJay
    Free Member

I’d always thought that 9 speed rings were happy with 10 speed set ups.

I don’t know if there’s anything here that might help – https://www.huckingkitty.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=868

dovebiker

FSA Comet uses a 24mm spindle, so if you’ve not got external cups then likely it’s a PF41/BB92.

Clutch mechs are only 10+ speed

weeksy

I’d always thought that 9 speed rings were happy with 10 speed set ups

If i’m fitting a clutch mech, i want a N/W ring… No point leaving the double on…. Well, ideally.

dirkpitt74

10 speed mech, 11-42t cassette & shifter could be had for about £80.

Bike-Dsicount Shimano 11-42t £25.96
    Bike-Discount Deore Shadow Plus 10spd £35.84
    Bike-Discount 10spd Zee Shifter £16.97

Even cheaper if you look for used stuff.

Do the rings not some off the chain set at all? I was able to take them off a £25 set of suntour cranks to fit a n/w on my kids bikes.

Looks like the BB is a press fit – Liv Embolden 2

confused58

Can’t you just use a 10 spd mech with your 9 spd cassette as the indexing is on the shifter?
    Zee’s work well for me.

weeksy

Can’t you just use a 10 spd mech with your 9 spd cassette as the indexing is on the shifter?
    Zee’s work well for me.

I guess… .but seems a bit pointless doing half a job.

weeksy

Do the rings not some off the chain set at all? I was able to take them off a £25 set of suntour cranks to fit a n/w on my kids bikes.

Looks like the BB is a press fit – Liv Embolden 2

From what i can tell they’re 1 piece… no bolts or fixing i can see from the front, but i’ll have a proper look tonight.

dovebiker

Shimano changed the cable actuation ratios when they went from 9 to 10 speed MTB – a 9 speed shifter won’t index a 10-speed MTB mech.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Microshift do a 9 speed clutch derailleur-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173867697376?ul_noapp=true

weeksy

Cheers guys…

Cheers Munro, that may be the short term solution right there.

weeksy

Geex, not sure if the inner/Granny even comes off if i wanted to go down that route, but i’d rather go clutch anyway for the tension as much as anything… it’s flappy as hell with the stock Alivio.

docrobster
    Free Member

Is that microshift mech compatible with Shimano? It says compatible with microshift advent shifters only.
    If it was me I’d buy a bionicon chain guide/tensioner as per the second reply…

docrobster
    Free Member

Found the answer:
    “Sadly, ADVENT isn’t compatible with Shimano 9-speed stuff. Those shifters don’t pull enough cable to get the rear derailleur up an 11-42 cassette. We tried it and the shifting effort was way too high. Long story short, ADVENT has its own proprietary cable pull.

Here:
    https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=128263

weeksy

Thanks matey… much appreciated.

I think we’ll got Bionicon C-guide in the short term and potentially a full setup longer term.

mashr

23 posts and nobody has mentioned that a simple spacer at the cable clamp lets you use a 10sp mech on a 9sp setup? I’m shocked!

6mm spacer under the cable clamp (will need a longer screw too iirc) and away you go. I ran like this for ages, my other half’s bike is still running this setup just now.

For illustration:

It doesn’t need to be a neat block like that either, washers work fine too (just more fiddly to setup)

geex
    Free Member

It comes off

😉

weeksy

That’s most interesting…. is that a part you can purchase etc ?

mashr

Nope, just something he made. I was lucky in the i had a a very similar wee block lying around. My wife’s is just some washers and works just as well

VanHalen

I’m running 9 speed sram shifter / shimano clutch on the HT at present. My setup is waaaay more ghetto that the neat block in the picture above – ahaha! i think i’ve got 3 diffent rusty washers and a valve nut thingie as my spacers!

joemmo
    Free Member

@mashr – that looks like an interesting hack cheers – Pretty sure I could knock that up with hand tools and tempted to try it on my gravel bike 1×10 which has a non-clutch 9spd XT mech and 10spd road shifters. How does it affect the shifting action? heavier / lighter / not significant?

mashr

No problem. You’ll have a slightly heavier action from running the clutch anyway, the bodge doesn’t make that any better/worse ime

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘9 speed mech with clutch ? Shimano.’ is closed to new replies.