Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 9 speed chain – which is best?
  • robsoctane
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m about to grab a new 9 speed chain, I use quality components & want to have the best chain possible. I use Sram at the minute, would not consider Shimano because I don’t want to use that tool. I’m running an XT cassette, a Renthal 34 tooth single up front & an XT mech.

Money is not a problem for me but at the same time I don’t want to spend silly if I won’t feel/experience anything different.

has anyone got experience with KMC? What about the Sram hollow pin? anything else to consider?

Thanks in advance to all.

holycrap
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Wippermann 908 for the last 2mths (upgraded from OE shimano chain), no problems so far, easy to fit & runs smooth.

£26.99 from CRC

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Anything that KMC do. KMC are the best chains you will find anywhere.

inbred853

+1 for KMC

robsoctane
    Free Member

Ok – KMC eh? any chain particularly then? Gold looks nice, anything really light weight, hard wearing etc?

Thanks you lot… 😉

I love asking real questions on this forum, you’re a real helpful bunch.

RealMan
    Free Member

Aren’t kmc the same as sram?

Wippermann connex if you want the best. You can get them off wiggle too, and of course they all come with the best quick link in the world. The 908 is sweet.

Wally

On-one PC991 £20 posted.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Realman – They dont appear to be. KMC last ages and SRAM are made of cheese.

I use these http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/save-8-kmc-x9-93-9-speed-chain-1489-p.asp.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Aren’t kmc the same as sram?

No. SRAM chains are made in what used to be the Sachs/Sedis plant in Germany. KMC make Shimano chains (and pretty much every other chain in the world) with the exception of self-made (in Japan) XT and XTR.

RealMan
    Free Member

Oh, its kmc and shimano that are the same, my mistake. I quite like my ultegra and dura ace chains, with connex quick links of course – like xt and xtr, are they actually made by shimano, or kmc?

cynic-al
    Free Member

robsoctane – Member
    …would not consider Shimano because I don’t want to use that tool. …I don’t want to spend silly if I won’t feel/experience anything different

You need any basic chain from a good manufacturer then.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You do realise that you can use and connector on any chain that’s the same width and length of link dont you?

robsoctane
    Free Member

@ surrounded: No mate, I certainly did not… that opens it up even more then, right? what about Shimano Yumeya… better that KMC SL?

saladdodger
    Free Member

Campagnolo for me I have been using them for years

mrmo
    Free Member

snapped a KMC in less than 100 miles, not sure what happened but am guessing a dodgy shift weakened the side plates. But never had that happened with Campagnolo, Sram, Shimano or Wipperman. make of that what you will.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d make that to be statistically irrelevant.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wife had a kmc chain on her bike. Wore out in next to no time. We much prefer the sram pc 991 crossstep

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘9 speed chain – which is best?’ is closed to new replies.