Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 9 out of 10 crimes unsolved.
  • stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Seems a great time to be a crim….

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44884113

rene59
    Free Member

Especially a rapey one.

ajaj
    Free Member

No, nine out of ten *reported/alleged* crimes go *uncharged*. Which is not the same thing at all.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Look on the bright side, someone gets charged for one in ten reported crimes. I bet a few result in a conviction too

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m not surprised, it’s pretty depressing but the Police don’t seem to have the budget to investigate non-violent, non-sexual crimes. The first time we were burgled there was actually a task force to look into bike crime, they came, looked at my broken shed, asked if the broken lock had been left behind, nope – here’s your crime number.

Second time we just did it over the phone. Did they leave the lock? Nope, here’s your crime number.

They were very good when I got into a nasty road rage incident and they pretty much flooded our part of town looking for a flasher who liked school girls and when some lads from across town came for a fight with axes.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I believe it’s 9 out of 10 crimes don’t go to court.

leaves a lot of room for police cautions.

loads of young men round here (Glasgow) have been cautioned for very minor offences…felony misdemeanour back-pedalling…that kind of thing.

Potentially they’d have to submit to middle-managements whims or have their sentence commuted to a conviction.

that’s a kind of ‘stasi’ in the making.

and it leaves them open to sexual exploitation.

but who is pulling the middle-managements strings? The roads lobby? The drinks lobby? Dodgy property developers?

maccruiskeen

You need to think a bit about how solvable a crime might be.

Yesterday I was driving up the M1 – a car passed driving aggressively and speedily and a few moments later causes a collision up ahead. Another car was left  wrecked in the in the middle lane with traffic swerving around it and the driver that passed me was further up the road on the hard shoulder inspecting the damage to his car – I passed them both and then moments later was passed again by the first bloke deciding the flee the scene, body work flapping.

I saw where he left the motor way so came off at the exit and called 999 to report the accident and the hazard it was creating (as well as the possible injury to the occupants of the stranded car but also give details of the guy who caused the incident and had fled.

So – a crime. Reported. But beyond me saying the car of a make, model and colour and currently somewhere in Buckinghamshire theres not really much more information to investigate, apprehend, solve, charge, convict etc. And imagine most reported crimes are of this nature.

So I don’t think its scandalous that a large majority of crimes go unsolved or unpursued as many would be unsolvable under any circumstances – the perpetrators are generally making efforts not to get caught. However its more telling that the detection rate has fallen from 15% to 10% over the last few years and thats a more meaningful thing – because it shows that for every two crimes currently ‘detected’ a third one that could have been ‘detected’ wasn’t.

Drac

So – a crime. Reported. But beyond me saying the car of a make, model and colour and currently somewhere in Buckinghamshire theres not really much more information to investigate, apprehend, solve, charge, convict etc. And imagine most reported crimes are of this nature.

Motorway cameras, ANPR cameras and your description should help but yes you have a point. The biggest issue is cut backs they are simply not enough police resources to deal with every crime.

Bregante

but the Police don’t seem to have the budget to investigate non-violent, non-sexual crime

This – in a nutshell is the depressing truth. And it’s almost as depressing for the vast majority of cops as it is for the victims. Cops aren’t immune from being victims of crime either of course.

kerley
    Free Member

You could have a police force of 10 million and solve 90% of all crimes or you could have what we currently have and get the current results or you could have something in between. That would add to more people in prisons as the government don’t seem to have many solutions other that put someone in prison.

Add it all up and you are looking at many billions per year.  That may explain why it carries on as it does.

And the fact that he country is not outraged at the what appears to be a very low number suggests most are not that bothered about it and it is not a vote winning topic

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Add to that if the police don’t attend to a crime it doesn’t get recorded. For instance I was at a meeting in Bolton town centre and we could see a group of people stripping lead from a closed store which had scaffolding up. We called the police who said that if no one was in immediate danger they wouldn’t come out .They didn’t therefore it officially never happened.

Also the number of offences on bail has been reduced by the police not bailing people but releasing them ” under investigation ”

Add to that the dire shortage of police officers in town centres, the fact that if someone steals less than £500 from you it is recorded as personal loss then the picture is a lot more alarming than most folk will know.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘9 out of 10 crimes unsolved.’ is closed to new replies.