• This topic has 52 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by boblo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • ‘8°C feels like 5°C’….
  • boblo
    Free Member

Brrrrr. Just off for the annual Club hundred and it’s Bbbbbaltic out there (not quite – but mebbies ‘a bit chilly’).

First properly chilly start for me in Cambs this Autumn.

All hail the immininent monsoon…!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just been woken up by the sound of the heating starting to kick in. Soon put a stop to that!

theotherjonv

yep, quick rummage in the drawer for knee warmers has just been done.

fazzini

yep, quick rummage in the drawer for knee warmers has just been done.

Ditto! Regardless of any debate over shorts/longs on the other thread, it’s definitely knee warmer weather on the bike 😂 (7°c feels like 3°C in the NE this morning)

timba
    Free Member

Yep, 2C at Manchester airport at 720am, 6C at Newcastle. The WNW wind won’t help

singletrackmind

Glad i have not had to spend the night queuing in London.
    Wearing a primani jacket, jeans and trainers.
    Its chilly even way down south. But gve it a few hours and it should be fine as its wall to wall blue sky and the sun still has enough elevation to warm things up, out the wind

fooman

I get that wind chill is a thing but it always makes me chuckle when they use it in weather forecast “temperatures in the mid-teens today but with wind chill you’ll swear it’s minus fourty” as if you’d be going out naked.

weeksy

Chilly in the wind out on the KTM today

Kryton57

Just been woken up by the sound of the heating starting to kick in. Soon put a stop to that!

I was on the bog at 5:30 AM and heard the pipes starting to click. Ours is set to 18 nighttime and 20 daytime – 5:30 is when it switches between the two. 💰💰💰

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Yup,18C in my man cave this morning.After the summer we’ve had this feels cold to me.I,ve let the sun in which should add 2C

stingmered

Chilly here. Hit 4deg last Tues at 6am AM and feels as cold today. About to head out for a ride and not sure what layers needed as sunny and still. Although we have a variety of smart thermostats around the house the heating is still in ‘off’ via override and determined it will be until at least mid Oct. This is 1000ft up in the Pennines too. Think the fire might be on before then though and just taken charge of 2m3 tightly stacked hardwood to get me through to Jan/feb.

frogstomp

First light frost overnight down here in tropical Hampshire… have had to look the slippers out!

pictonroad

Everyone in a tent at the Ex Enduro will confirm, it was fresh* in the early hours.

*regional differences may apply.

Spin
    Free Member

I get that wind chill is a thing but it always makes me chuckle when they use it in weather forecast “temperatures in the mid-teens today but with wind chill you’ll swear it’s minus fourty” as if you’d be going out naked.

Other than the basic notion of ‘wind makes it feel colder’ wind chill figures are mostly bollocks. I’m on a couple of FB groups for hillwalking where people (mostly guys) regularly post wind chill figures instead of air temperatures to make themselves sound harder. ‘It was -25 on the summit of Cairngorm.’ Naw it wiznae.

Duggan

Yes went for a road ride in from Manchester into Cheshire this morning and my feet were freezing, couldn’t bring myself to put overshoes on though, seemed like an admission of defeat.

Duggan

My wife has decreed no heating on until October earliest but I feel like that is going to take a bit more determination than she is expecting

kelvin

Stick with it. She’s right.

Kryton57

I’m waiting for one of the smarter StWErs to do a “heating the fabric of the house using Septembers energy costs vs Octobers” maths.

Drums fingers.

Klunk
    Free Member

cracking morning of singlespeeding in the sun, trails are superb slight edge first thing didn’t notice after the first climb 🙂

jam-bo

4 degrees in west Devon this morning on my way for an early surf. I put boots on, old man feet don’t like the cold water anymore.

anagallis_arvensis

Leg warmers on for this morning’s road ride

MSP

My wife has decreed no heating on until October earliest but I feel like that is going to take a bit more determination than she is expecting.

My garmin tells me how much I acclimatised to the heat on hot days. I reckon the reverse is true as well, I think if you hold off on the heating until October you will probably be able to runs the temp a couple of degrees lower for the whole of winter than if you had cranked up the heating the first time it got a little nippy.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

+1 on the windchill is for cretins viewpoint

reluctantjumper

I’m definitely less tolerant of cooler temps than I was after the heatwave this year, normally hate the heat above 25 or so. Not cold enough for a jacket or to put the heating on though.

Chilly in the wind out on the KTM today

I’m out all day in the Mini and had to put the heater on first thing! Just the right temperature now though so it was only in for an hour or so. Still, good to know it works!

reeksy

Still wintery in Queensland, a chilly 14 expected tonight and 27 tomorrow.

MoreCashThanDash

4°C on the car at 5am this morning setting up a CX course. Warmed up when we started working.

dyna-ti

I think I’ll start wearing my work trousers on the bike(and maybe around the house too). They’ve pockets in the knees for foam pads, which i can replace with some of those air activated heating pads.

MoreCashThanDash

Apparently after I’d left for the CX this morning the heating kicked in at 6.30 – thinks it’s set at 17°.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Went out to the bottom of the garden to fit new fatter tyres to the straight bar gravel SS and put a fleece on.
    An hour later I was sweating buckets.
    Hampshire problems…

LAT

+1 on the windchill is for cretins viewpoint

i’m going to guess that you’ve never lived somewhere cold.

matt_outandabout

I was shivering on today’s ride after cafe stop. 😞

I’ve popped the skull cap, buff and warm gloves back in the bag.

matt_outandabout

windchill is for cretins viewpoint

While harsh, is fair. It’s only *felt* on exposed skin, and only down to a particular level IIRC. So you do cool quicker, to a limit, but then it’s more *perceived* by your brain. I think it’s all too do with how fast heat can transfer between materials?

Basically, if you bundle up properly, air temp is still far more important than windchill. And perhaps ‘time to frostbite on bare skin’ would be a better measure?

boblo
    Free Member

Well Mr Garmin had ‘6 feels like 3’ displayed at 07:00.

Arm warmers/leg warmers/gilet/Shakedry and long finger gloves for me. It certainly felt cold. At the first railway crossing, the barrier was down and I got chatting to the bloke next to me on a CBR650 (sports boik). He’d just binned it on a roundabout giving it some welly whilst forgetting it’s not now midsummer… Poor (silly) sod.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Currently on first camping trip of the summer. Glad I brought the duvet jacket but not too bad really.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

^ Summer?

dyna-ti

I have just put the central heating on.

😯

CountZero

Bugger putting the heating on! I just put an extra layer on top. Shorts stay on at least until the second week in October, especially because I’m working indoors now, except when I have to go outside to fetch a car into the workshop.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

^ Summer?

@monkeycmonkeydo

This year, astronomical summer began on 21 June 2022 and ended on 23 September 2022.

Met Office

Kryton57

Up until yesterday our Gas usage averaged 53p per day. Yesterday it was £2.55 with a bit of on/off throughout the day.

I think I need to delete the app from my phone when it properly gets cold, it won’t be good for my mental health!

dovebiker

Still did my post round in shorts yesterday in the Hebrides – I swear an orange hi-viz gilet makes you bulletproof, mind you the rain clouds were hammering down on Skye.
    The stags were bellowing outside at 5:30am and the deer are attempting to scoff the garden – autumn’s definitely here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.