Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 202 total)
  • 8am in Wetherspoons
  • convert

I’m confused by the ownership thing ?

Do people know who owns say Costa ? or Starbucks ? or Audi ? how about Whyte bikes ? or Specialized ? Or The Body Shop ?

Why would you research who owns what and where do you draw the line ? I don’t know who owns Greene King for example, but would knowing that and if he was a wrong-un mean i never drink in a pub again ? Hmmmm.

Like most I suspect I don’t go out of my way to find this stuff out but once you know something you can’t unknow it and it does affect how you treat the business. There was that weather forecast site most here raved about years ago that stopped updating so frequently and it transpired the reason was the owner was serving time for child abuse. Can’t say I felt inclined to use it after that. Round here there is a nursery (of the plant rather than the human variety) that when the BNP membership information was leaked turned out to be run by a paid up member of the party. Never went there again either.

Tim Martin has been not only a prominent Brexit supporter and donator but also used his ownership of the company as a vehicle for campaigning – half a million pro brexit beer mats in his pubs for example. Pro brexit posters in the bars and toilets. If you think brexit is a bag of shite it’s really not hard to put weatherspoons on your list of companies not to give your money to.

dannyh
    Free Member

Everywhere serves decent beer and edible food these days.

Trust me, you can still find places that don’t…………..

dannyh
    Free Member

Oh, and sorry – I started the Piano Man thing, but I have no artistic talent whatsoever, so the full verse above is genius – bravo!

dannyh
    Free Member

For posterity:

It’s 8am on a Thursday
    The regular crowd shuffles in
    Waiting for the Post Office to open
    so they can cash their giro’s in
    They’re nursing a pint pot of Carling
    To while the hours away
    While some bloke on a bike, who slept rough last night
    Has Eggs Benedicte and bottomless cafe

So sing me a song I’m a Wetherspoons man
    Red faces and brexit all round
    But the beer is dead cheap, and it’s warm for a sleep
    And a bacon roll costs just two pound.

dissonance

Why would you research who owns what and where do you draw the line ?

In this case he is rather prominent and also pushes his political views in his pubs. So since he chooses to make those pubs political I choose not to drink there.
    To use the whyte example if the bike was plastered in brexit propaganda I probably wouldnt have got one.

Harry_the_Spider

Second verse.

For those who don’t know the owner
    Is a chap named Tim Martin
    He’s a big fan of Brexit
    Something I don’t believe in
    He uses his business to promote it
    On posters or on a beer mat
    For that reason I won’t give him my money
    ‘cause I think he’s a massive ****

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I guess i’m a snob then, my only inside experience of a ‘Spoons was a couple of pages ago having breakfast with some work colleagues.

The local one, seems to attract the town degenerates in an evening, it looks awful.

Thankfully there is a small, privately owned pub/brewery a short walk away, which sells nice beer at cheap prices & does great food & none of the attitude.

Happy to be a snob if it means not going in a dive 🙂

stumpy01

Went to a Brewers Fayre the other day. It was far grimmer than any Wetherspoon i have been in for the past decade, but looks more family friendly on the outside, i guess.

The Wetherspoons in Peterborough and Cambridge aren’t exactly great – the typical sticky carpet, dark offerings with rowdy teens on a Friday/Sat night doing the whole ‘you spill my pint?’ routine.

But, there is a really good one in Oakham and also one in Stamford. They are a good place for a cheap family meal and they serve a massive range of drinks.

sbob
    Free Member

They completely renovated it, must have spent a fortune, and now its absolutely…

…stark, cold, soulless and much the same as all the ‘spoons I’ve seen. Fair enough if veneer and chintz is your (one’s) thing, that doesn’t bother me but when ‘spoons are selling beer cheaper than actual pubs can buy it, we have a problem. Unless you think monopolies are a good thing?

footflaps

Tim Martin has been not only a prominent Brexit supporter and donator but also used his ownership of the company as a vehicle for campaigning – half a million pro brexit beer mats in his pubs for example. Pro brexit posters in the bars and toilets. If you think brexit is a bag of shite it’s really not hard to put weatherspoons on your list of companies not to give your money to.

+1

Not that I go into pubs, but if I did, I’d avoid spoons like the plague.

RustySpanner

There’s lad losing bad at Sky Poker, regret shines up at the meek
    So he drinks up his Stella and boasts to some fella ’bout how much he’s up every week.

And then there’s the gravy that smells of the Navy and has done for 23 years…

Harry_the_Spider

…but for five ninety five on your pudding or pies
    You’ll eat ‘til it comes out your ears.

RustySpanner

🙂

Harry_the_Spider

It’s 8am on a Thursday
    The regular crowd shuffles in
    Waiting for the Post Office to open
    so they can cash their giro’s in
    They’re nursing a pint pot of Carling
    To while the hours away
    While some bloke on a bike, who slept rough last night
    Has Eggs Benedicte and bottomless café

For those who don’t know the owner
    Is a chap named Tim Martin
    He’s a big fan of Brexit
    Something I don’t believe in
    He uses his business to promote it
    On posters or on a beer mat
    For that reason I won’t give him my money
    ‘cause I think he’s a massive ****

There’s lad losing bad at Sky Poker
    regret shines up at the meek
    So he drinks up his Stella and boasts to some fella
    ’bout how much he’s up every week.
    And then there’s the gravy that smells of the Navy
    and has done for 23 years
    but for five ninety five on your pudding or pies
    You’ll eat ‘til it comes out your ears.

Music by Billy Joel
    Lyrics by Harry-Jon V Spanner

Cougar

I’m confused by the ownership thing ?

Do people know who owns say Costa ? or Starbucks ? or Audi ? how about Whyte bikes ? or Specialized ? Or The Body Shop ?

I refer you to my post on page 2. The pubs are dripping with pro-brexit propaganda, you can discover JDW’s political leanings quite readily simply by going into one.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Rather like STW’s political leanings can be deduced just by entering the forum.

RustySpanner

But I’m not coming round to yours to pay you for a drink and a meal whist you keep chipping in spouting bollocks. 🙂

Life’s too short to deal with people who make your skin itch.

binners

but when ‘spoons are selling beer cheaper than actual pubs can buy it, we have a problem. Unless you think monopolies are a good thing?

Again… thats hardly Weatherspoons fault. Theres the economies of scale, obviously. But mainly, thats the fault of the model of pub ownership in this country where breweries happily absolutely fleece their tied tennets/landlordds by forcing them to pay prices way above market rate for beer their contractually obliged to buy.

If you want to have a go at someone, have a go at a government that refuses to regulate against this practice and the operation of what are effectively cartels of large brewers.

I’m not defending Weatherspoons. I go in the places once every blue moon (in true STW fashion I drink in my local independent microbrewery, which is bloody brilliant), but blaming Weatherspoons for the state of the pub sector is pretty wide of the mark.

In fact, you could argue that Mr Brexit has done us all a favour by breaking the stranglehold of the tied tennent/landlord business model that artificially inflates prices to us all

sadexpunk

i had no view at all when i started reading the thread, but think its now binners +1.

Harry_the_Spider

I was in one of the MNPR favourite haunts last week. Pint and a Diet Coke – £7.20! Not even a bottled Coke, just a syrup and soda job out of a squirty gun.

In a ‘Spoons youd get the drinks, a leg over and a pie for that. Although I can’t vouch for the quality of the pie. Still won’t drink there though.

Cougar

thats hardly Weatherspoons fault.

I’m reasonably sure that Wetherspoon’s bar prices are set by Wetherspoon’s. They can choose to price at a level to be competitive or price to drive out and crush the competition, can they not?

johnx2
    Free Member

image fail

Cougar

Not even a bottled Coke, just a syrup and soda job out of a squirty gun.

It’s probably a good earner for small pubs.

Back when I was a student, I worked in a bowling alley. Aside from the lanes, the biggest profit margin in the building by a country mile was the Wundergun soft drinks. A large drink that sold for like three quid back in 1991 cost less per serving to buy in than the little ketchup pots everyone expected for free.

binners

I’m reasonably sure that Wetherspoon’s bar prices are set by Wetherspoon’s. They can choose to price at a level to be competitive or price to drive out and crush the competition, can they not?

That’s not really the point. Weatherspoons don’t set the artificially inflated prices the major brewers force their tennents and landlords to pay for their beer. They sell at lower prices because they use a different business model which allows them to sell beer lots cheaper, and are happy to do so at lower margins.

Much as you may dislike him (I do too) you have to have a certain respect for the fact that he’s built a very successfull business, from nothing, by doing things very differently from the competition, with a business model that doesn’t rely on exploiting what is essentially a cartel to rip off the people both selling and buying your beer. I’d say that overall prices are lowwer in pubs across the board than they would be if Weathspoons wasn’t around. Capitalism, innit?

drlex
    Free Member

On Binners, point, Government still at it – witness the delays the Pubs Code Adjudicator (PCA) have made on all the Market Rent Only applications made by pubs, and the fact that CAMRA took them (PCA) to the ICO to get information on their working (or lack of). Think there’s another story on this in yesterday’s Private Eye.

dissonance

Think there’s another story on this in yesterday’s Private Eye.

Yup. Landlord taking one of the pubcos to court about them dragging out the MRO process as long as possible. He is trying to get the lower rent backdated.
    Even if wetherspoons charged the same and the punco owned pubs got more custom all that would happen is their rent would get upped by the pubcos and the landlords would still be in a shit place.

My local micro brewery sells to Weatherspoons.

If you’re brewing cask ale in small batches and selling to independents there can be a lot of wastage as each independent only buys a few casks. Any left over will quickly go off. He said Wetherspoons would give him a fair price for the entire remainder of a batch as they were confident they could sell all of it quickly.

binners

Thats bang on Dissonance. Running a pub (I’ve had mates who have done in the past, and good mates who still do) is the only job where if you make your boss – the brewery – more money through your successful management, you then get punished by them for it with increased rent and beer prices

Frankly its an absolutely scandalous business model! Totally immoral and exploitative. Its flagrant profiteering by what is effectively a cartel.

So if Weatherspoons are doing something different and taking these lot on, and winning (which means cheaper eating and drinking for everyone), I can’t see why people have a huge problem with them (Bexit propoganda notwithstanding, obvs)

In a perfect world we’d all have a nice independent micropub that did great beer and food at easonable prices as our local. But in the absense of that unrealistic proposition I’d say the spoons model is certainly the lesser of two evils

Cougar

That’s not really the point. Weatherspoons don’t set the artificially inflated prices the major brewers force their tennents and landlords to pay for their beer. They sell at lower prices because they use a different business model which allows them to sell beer lots cheaper, and are happy to do so at lower margins.

JDW doesn’t set the prices of other places, of course, and if it’s driven down prices elsewhere then that’s a good thing for the consumer. Historically I’ve always kinda liked Wetherspoon’s, they’re pretty soulless places but you can be reasonably assured of a decent pint at a sensible price without suddenly discovering halfway through that it’s karaoke night.

My point though is just because you can do something, does it mean you should? Say the going rate for a pint in a given area is £4 and JDW can afford to sell it at a profit for £2. If they price a pint at £3.90 then that’s a competitive price and it maximises their profits; if they price it at £2 then the profit margin is much lower but it will probably destroy the competition. Arguably the latter may be better business for JDW long-term, but at what cost to everyone else?

dazh

Real drinkers drink at the station on their way into the office….

Cougar

He said Wetherspoons would give him a fair price for the entire remainder of a batch as they were confident they could sell all of it quickly.

That’s not the first time I’ve heard this / similar stories. Part of the reason they can keep prices low is by buying short-life beer that no-one else wants to buy.

perchypanther
    Free Member

but at what cost to everyone else?

£2 a pint?

binners

If the breweries weren’t blatently profiteering through their dodgy business practices all pubs would be able to sell their beer much closer to Weathspoons prices.

Weatherspoons aren’t destroying the competition, the breweries are. If they didn’t have Weatherspoons as competition, do you think their prices would be higher or lower?

It does seem a bit daft and self-defeating to me, but they seem happy to carry on doing it

Cougar

Can’t disagree with that.

sbob
    Free Member

‘spoons don’t have a particularly clever business model, they can just afford to buy property. Every tennant’s dream is to own a free house, they just can’t afford to wheras Tesco/’spoons can.

binners

I’m sorry, but that’s just cobblers. Everyone has to start somewhere. They may be massive and able to do that now, but he built the business up from one pub. You don’t get to do that unless you’re pretty shrewd, business-wise

Or perhaps it was just good luck?

dissonance

‘spoons don’t have a particularly clever business model,

Getting to the stage where they can do that though was the clever bit. Now they have scale (for buying) and reserves for purchasing but they had to get there.
    Even now when you look at some of the buildings they use its rather clever eg some of those examples Binners posted (or the playhouse in Colchester). They bring old buildings back into use in a way that the conservation societies etc can live with which probably helps with getting a licence as well.

sbob
    Free Member

OK I’ll put it this way; none of the 24yr olds I know can afford to buy a pub.

Cougar

Bloody millenials, probably waiting for someone to just give them a pub.

perchypanther
    Free Member

In a lot of the films I’ve seen almost none of the attractive young people seem to have  any pubs.

It’s a fashion thing I suppose.

It wasn’t like that in the 70’s.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘8am in Wetherspoons’ is closed to new replies.