Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 80mm forks, help and advice please.
  • slackalice
    Free Member

Lucky me, I’ve just bought an 07 Salsa A La Carte frame and it’s orange in colour too, which is a bonus 🙂

So, my impulse purchase means I don’t have anything at the mo to fit to this and regarding it as a long term build project, picking up s/h bargains along the way. As for the forks, I could go rigid with some Cromoto’s, I could also fit some 80mm travel jobbies and am seeking thoughts, opinions, pointers from you as to which 80mm forks might be goodies to look out for.

1 1/8″ straight steerer, 9 or 15mm qr.

Your input appreciated and thanks in advance.

nedrapier

There are (or at least were, a couple of days ago) some ’11 SIDs on here for £170. Get them and space them down. quite tempted myself…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    slackalice
    Free Member

Thank you nedrapier, very interesting. Presumably, spacing SID’s down to 80 from 100 won’t affect the axle to crown dim?

Olly
    Free Member

should pull A-C down. Marzocchi MX comps?

slackalice
    Free Member

Thanks Olly. Any particular year for the marzocchi’s and I forgot to mention, a lockout is always useful for me 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

2005 MX comps are basic, and heavy. for 80mm ones you would be looking at maybe 60 quid for a good pair, but they last forever! if you got some 105mm ones, they could be spaced down too.

slackalice
    Free Member

The ‘heavy’ bit isn’t doing it for me, although I’m liking the robustness 🙂

Anyone with any experience of White Bros? IIRC, they did an 80mm travel fork…

nedrapier

I’ve got some MX comps in a box at home. I could let you have them for not much. I can take some pics on Sunday evening if you’re interested?

nedrapier

I was looking at spacing SIDs to match the A2C of Z2 flys that my game originally came with. 65mm gave around 430mm, so 80 would give you 445, give or take an imperceptible mm or 3

RustySpanner

I’ve got a very nice pair of Manitou Magnum R’s you can have.

Might be a bit pricey, they’re either retro or classic now.

slackalice
    Free Member

I can see why you’re considering the SID’s, very nice and feeling tempted myself, thanks for the heads up and your offer, I confess to be leaning towards the SID’s at the mo 🙂

Gotcha with the A2C dim’s; The specs Ive found suggest 453mm for the frame, which according to RS is also their A@C for the SID’s at 80mm (+/-5mm) and they have remote lockout…

rp16v
    Free Member

U can go with pretty much most r/s single/dual air forks iv just sold some reduced travel Reba’s and can adjust my recons up to 130 down to 80ish using spacer kit

slackalice
    Free Member

Thanks Rusty, nice forks, but I’ll pass, I won’t go too retro with an 07 frame 🙂

I didn’t realise RS were that versatile, opens up my choices which is a good thing.

votchy
    Free Member

Might have a pair of RS Psylo’s in the garage, they are 80mm and off an ’07 frame, whereabouts in UK are you?

slackalice
    Free Member

Hi Votchy, I’m darn sarf…. Hampshire to be precise. What sort of nick are your Psylo’s in?

votchy
    Free Member

Would have to dig them out, am in the mids and will let you know, think I remember changing the spacers round to give 100mm travel but easily converted back to 80mm, they have ISO disc brake mounts. Will go and have a look and let you know later

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have some white 09 sids (Team 100mm I think) That are sat in the garage doing nothing, I only used them a couple of times before changing to a 120mm fork so not run in yet, make me an offer if you like, email in profile 🙂

votchy
    Free Member

slackalice – not had chance tonight, will have a look in the morn and let you know

slackalice
    Free Member

You’re a good man. No rush, thanks 🙂

Moe

I have some redundant White Brothers Magic 80’s, PM me if interested.

slackalice
    Free Member

Thank you for all your offers 🙂 Much appreciated and I’ll be considering the options available.

The build overall will have to be done to a tight budget, sh parts except for chainset I’m thinking, so as soon as I’ve plucked up the courage to define my budget, I’ll be looking out for some lovely bargains! 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘80mm forks, help and advice please.’ is closed to new replies.