Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 80:20 ratio – Building fitness with minimal time
  • So Ive been training for the last year fairly consistently on the road bike trying to improve my overall fitness and average speeds. Im in my last 20’s and a healthy weight and eat a good diet and have gone from average speeds of around 22kph to around 30kph (I generally like to ride in the hilliest areas I can find).

However I have been doing some races/sportive rides recently and been surprised that others my age are significantly faster and I an riding with many people that are 30 years my senior! I want to step up my training and start being more competitive but im really not sure where to start.

I am really interested in the theories of training and really like Tim Ferris’ thoughts about the 80:20 ratio. Essentially the theory is that you can do 20% of the training with 80% of the same result.

Since the guys that are fastest (as in winning races/posting fastest times on strava) clock up some huge mileage (which I simply don’t have the time for) this would be ideal if i could put it into practice. I just dont know where to start and all the training articles seem to really focus on base miles which i know doesnt make you any faster.

With running the consensus seems to be high intensity so short durations (like 400m repeats) to build endurance and a high Vo2 max but im unsure of how to apply this to the bike.

Any input of training ideas would be great as im really stabbing in the dark. I realistically can spare 4 days a week to training which would consist of a maximum of 3 x1.5hours on a weekday and 2-3hours on the weekend. I also play football twice a week, but i generally get about 4-6 hours on the bike.

AlexSimon

So this Tim Ferris bloke says you can do 80% of the training in 20% of the time, but doesn’t tell you how to do it!?
    That’s just rubbish.

I’ve always found intervals get me up to speed quickest in the spring, but then I’m at the 22kph end of your range.

JCL
    Free Member

If you want to race for two hours you need to be able to ride hard for double that.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

If you follow the 80-20 rule, only 20% of the competitors in your age group will be faster than you, surely.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Since the guys that are fastest (as in winning races/posting fastest times on strava) clock up some huge mileage (which I simply don’t have the time for) this would be ideal if i could put it into practice.

Do they though? Base miles are needed but there is no point doing 6 hour rides if you’re racing 1 hour crits as they are just junk miles. Better off doing HIIT.

Essentially the theory is that you can do 20% of the training with 80% of the same result.

If this was true wouldn’t everyone be doing it?

My advice would be to read Joe Friels Training Bible. It will help you understand why you need to train and give you an understanding of the base, build, peak, race training blocks.

I have used this for a couple of seasons and last season I won a few TT’s and a couple of Crits at 42 yrs old. HTH.

Just before everyone goes off on one he does actually have some strong evidence for this and has shown it to be effective. It has been shown to be effective in marathon and ultra-marathon runners.

oh and given the Vuelta a espana was won by a 41 (or 42?) year old then i guess age is not a limiting factor!

njee20
    Free Member

No, you just need a bigger dosage when you’re older!

So what’s the question? You seem to know all about this 80:20 stuff, why not try it?

Not all the quickest guys are doing mega miles, I’d suggest if you’re just going out chasing average speeds you’re doing a lot of junk miles – start training, rather than just riding your bike and you’ll go faster.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

6 hours training a week, if used wisely, is plenty to be competitive.

Break that down into three 1 hour interval sessions and one long ride.

If it were me I’d start with a 4 to 5 week block of long intervals at just below FTP, say 2*20 or 3*15 minutes, then move to a block of shorter more intense ones, say 6*4.

Throw a couple of full out hill sprints into the longer session and see what that does.

Ride with a club and get dragged around by faster people and discover just how deep you can go with regards to suffering and then recovering, you may surprise yourself.

sharkattack

Is this the same Tim Ferris who wrote the Four Hour Work Week?

I’d give him a wide berth personally.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you want to race for two hours you need to be able to ride hard for double that.

While this is probably true, you don’t need to do it in training.

Think the real benefit in high volume low intensity stuff over winter is if you are building up for long periods of racing (e.g. long stage races). If you’re racing for an hour or two over the weekend there are better ways to spend your time.

Other than that, what MM, Chef and njee20 said. Understand what you are doing, know what you want to work on (e.g. a specific weakness for an event) and put it into a larger plan based on the time you realistically have available. Friel’s book does a good job of explaining this. You can do a lot with 6 hours a week but you can’t afford to waste time on junk miles. If you can tolerate it then it may be worth getting a turbo or rollers as they allow you to do very controlled workouts that are difficult to do on the road (also typically less faff getting kit sorted to go out so more time to spend on the actual workout.)

Also may be worth picking up a copy of the Time Crunched Cyclist and having a read. Bit hesitant to recommend it as I wouldn’t follow the plans but it’ll give you a good idea of what needs to be done in quite a prescriptive way. Is there a better book along similar lines out there?

jameso

Essentially the theory is that you can do 20% of the training with 80% of the same result.

Since the guys that are fastest (as in winning races/posting fastest times on strava) clock up some huge mileage (which I simply don’t have the time for) this would be ideal if i could put it into practice. I just dont know where to start and all the training articles seem to really focus on base miles which i know doesnt make you any faster.
    I think you’re wrong about base miles not making you faster unfortunately – on their own no they won’t really, in conjunction with higher-intensity training they certainly do, and the 80-20 thing I’ll guess assumes you have a good base in the first place. Plus it’s a good selling point for someone’s training plan, we all want it easier/faster etc )
    Good ‘base’ miles cause changes in the cardio system that mean harder training later has greater potential, as well as increasing endurance. According to some reputed guides I’ve read and some limited experience of altering my own riding on that basis anyway (for longer rides that is, not 1-2hr sprint races)

Those guys with 30 years on you are probably going faster as they have a better endurance base, built up over decades of miles. Never underestimate a weathered 60-year old roadie )

pirahna
    Free Member

Just read “Fast Exercise” by the bloke that came up with the 5:2 diet. It’s all around HIT and is backed up with a reasonable amount of scientific study, much of it around cyclists.

HIT on a turbo 3 times a week suits me at this time of year as I can’t be bothered to do evening road rides when it’s cold. I’ll report back if it has detrimental effects on endurance if anyone is interested. I should mention I still do a long ride on a Sunday and HIT strength sessions on the two nights I don’t turbo.

I use a heart rate monitor for all training, otherwise how do you know how much effort you’re putting in? Recovery riding is important too, again using a HRM so you know you’re not working too hard.

jameso

^ Interested yes, as I’m not doing any structured HI work at the mo, just riding a SS and steady road miles. Expecting to drop top-end rate ability but hoping I can gain that on the turbo between March-May and have a good base to work off.

swiss01
    Free Member

+1 for intervals/hit. and base miles

as for riders 30 years your senior being quicker. it’s because of the above. and we are. and we’re sneaky (i’m told!)

ahwiles
    Free Member

jameso – Member

Never underestimate a weathered 60-year old roadie, fell runner, climber, etc. etc.

fify 🙂

number18
    Free Member

Ride with a club and get dragged around by faster people and discover just how deep you can go with regards to suffering and then recovering, you may surprise yourself.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

building the base of your training is the most important bit.

If you imagine your training as a triangle. the tip of this triangle is the peak of your fitness. The wider the base is the higher your peak is.
    Therefore base miles create this foundation. Thats why the pros create a steady base all winter by riding slowly for a long time. This creates a bomb proof base enabling you to race all season. most people actually ride too hard thus not creating any base, slow controlled rides ideally 3 hours or more once a week.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you imagine your training as a triangle. the tip of this triangle is the peak of your fitness. The wider the base is the higher your peak is.

Therefore base miles create this foundation. Thats why the pros create a steady base all winter by riding slowly for a long time.

I think the triangle analogy is getting a little tired. Foundation/base isn’t necessarily hours and hours of slow miles. I’m pretty sure it’s not the most time efficient way to build a decent base. Pro’s do it as there are a lot of benefits other than building a base, but those don’t necessarily apply to people who maybe only a couple of short races a week for a few months of the year.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Long miles does more than base, it conditions your body to hours in the saddle, all those tiny muscles getting used to bike riding.
    If im racing from March through to Oct which i do most years it works a treat.

Horses for courses i suppose.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aren’t some pros, inc Wiggins, now doing shorter high intensity work in the winter?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Long miles does more than base, it conditions your body to hours in the saddle, all those tiny muscles getting used to bike riding.

Exactly my point. Most of us on here don’t do anywhere near that many hours in the saddle, do base means something different.

jameso

Eddie Fiola – Member

slow controlled rides ideally 3 hours or more once a week.
    Is the base thought to be better/wider if you’re doing say 10-12hrs a week (3x4hrs, 2×5-6hrs etc) of base miles Jan-Feb, or is there a diminishing return? (assume you have time as well as getting a few shorter sharp-ish rides in)

thomthumb
    Free Member

I think the triangle analogy is getting a little tired. Foundation/base isn’t necessarily hours and hours of slow miles.

oi you’ll upset the old guard. 😉

OP – increase your FTP.

biketechreview is good reading

whatnobeer
    Free Member

If you’ve been doing sportives you’re probably already got a good base, so lots of long base level riding won’t bring you on too much.

Focus on intervals, based around what ever type of racing you want to do.

I find that doing 4 tabata sessions a week plus a longer steady state rides brings my fitness along in a big way.

I’ve had the time crunched cyclist recommended to me a few times and those that use it think it works well, each to their own though.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The more time you have to train the more base comes into play as your body can only handle so much intensity.

Pro’s still do intensity work in winter, but even they have a limit, so they ride long as they have the time.

It seems that most pro’s work at around a TSS of 150 day, or the equivalent of two one hour Sufferfest sessions, now reduce the intensity and increase the time and get to that score.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

When I said minimum of 3hrs a week that was including loads of tempo stuff during the week.
    I generally aim for 2x 4-5hrs a week then hill specific and mid tempo work.
    Depends what you want out of your cycling and how long you want to train for though. I’m not imagining most people have 15-20 hrs a week.
    Obviously though the high intensity comes in about feb then racing as well. But if you have the foundations you last longer.

Wiggo does plenty of 6 hr rides let me assure you. So does Dave millar. But they are paid to do it.

njee20
    Free Member

As you even say though (as does the OP), few people have that sort of time, so it’s not an effective use of time.

Northwind

To sum it up, tabata and other HIIT increases your capacity to be miserable for short periods. Steady turbo miles increase your capacity to be miserable for longer. And long road miles are excellent for increasing your capacity for boredom. These are all much more important than who is 10% fitter- everyone knows that super-fit dude that breaks on the big hill.

jameso

(sorry for diversion OP)

When I said minimum of 3hrs a week that was including loads of tempo stuff during the week.
    Depends what you want out of your cycling and how long you want to train for though. I’m not imagining most people have 15-20 hrs a week.

Just wondering as I don’t train for road or XC races, more for distance aiming at multi-day rides, maybe 2 a year. So my needs from a base may be different and I can do 15+ hrs most weeks, but wondering if 10-12hrs is more base than is needed whatever you do, if there’s a good % split between base/HI work for endurance or max base time that’s effective, etc. I realise the base is less use without raising FT ability later too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oh to have 15+ hours a week to train 🙁

jameso

To ride, rather than train ) just trying to get the most out of the riding I can do.

The more time you have to train the more base comes into play as your body can only handle so much intensity.

I think that may answer my q in general.

Lester
    Free Member

as a non fit biker. Unless you are going to “WIN” surely the only thing that matters is that you improve regularly and keep improving and most of the time enjoy your riding.
    if you are 5 seconds quicker every week and enjoy your riding isnt that better than not getting as close to the guy in front as you want and being disappointed.
    if you want to be able to get closer to the guy in front, surely it then only matters what level that guy is ?
    this might sound gobledegook but it makes sense to me 🙂

JCL
    Free Member

I do the occasional 3hr “XC” race and if I haven’t done a good amount of 4/5hr rides at medium intensity, high RPM I’ll blow up in the last hour. No matter how much I eat. The bottom line is, everyone is different.

ollie51
    Free Member

Therefore base miles create this foundation. Thats why the pros create a steady base all winter by riding slowly for a long time.

I think the triangle analogy is getting a little tired. Foundation/base isn’t necessarily hours and hours of slow miles. I’m pretty sure it’s not the most time efficient way to build a decent base. Pro’s do it as there are a lot of benefits other than building a base, but those don’t necessarily apply to people who maybe only a couple of short races a week for a few months of the year.

Indeed, ‘base’ no longer means Long Steady Distance, in fact it hasn’t really meant that for over a decade, instead the main focus of the base period is to increase Functional Threshold Power.

So to the OP, FTP is the key determinant of Sportive performance, wherein you focus on a stead state effort in order to achieve the best time you can. Therefore you should focus on ‘Sweet Spot’ efforts as these have been shown to offer significant increase in FTP for little physiological cost. Once you get to 8-6 weeks away from any events you might looks at more specific effort e.g 5 minute power, by improving FTP you be the default focus.

PS – you don’t need a power meter to improve FTP, 5 minute power etc, does make it easier though.

Link to explain sweetspot in more detail: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/sweet-spot-training-for-cyclists-34902/

Stainypants

I though sportives weren’t races so what does it matter where you are riding

jameso

Ollie, useful info there. Was aware of and do some threshold work on the turbo but not the sweetspot zone, a good focus for road rides.

tom200

If your time is limited, like mine, just aim to ride as far as you can in the allotted time. As you get fitter plan slightly longer rides. Oh and get on strava if you haven’t already. Remember “pain is just weakness leaving the body”.

Cool some useful stuff there, I didnt mean to sound like i know it all because i dont. Just going off what other people recommend. I question the base miles stuff because it doesnt seem to be used in other sports, and if it were you would probably spend much of the season injured from overtraining e.g. running.

Will look into the functional threshold power training. I have come across it and people using powertap hubs but i don’t have the kind of money to pay for one of those.

Also in reply to those talking about its all just for fun anyway, well that is true but i have to have an outlet for my competitive side, and this is a healthy way to be competitive! In the grand scheme of things its pretty pointless but then most things are.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘80:20 ratio – Building fitness with minimal time’ is closed to new replies.