• This topic has 38 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by poly.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 8000 plus properties without gas in Scotland and its going to be colder
  • project
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-50613678

But the nice company are handing out free heaters and cookers to affected residents,how long before the electric grid is overloaded and goes into melt down,also what about pipes freezing, and loss of production for factories and loss of trade for shops,offices closed and schools closed, due to no heating.

Going to be huge claims for compo probably.

project
    Free Member

Forgot to add coming to a town or city nearer you sooner rather than later, as profits are put before maintenance.

senorj

I read this earlier. Poor sods.
    Our boiler broke last week , we were fed up of the cold after a week. & that was in the mild South East.

spekkie
    Free Member

“SGN engineers were working to fix equipment that regulates gas pressure but warned each property would have to be visited”

Sounds like they’re doing what they can . . . .

project
    Free Member

A few years ago a water main burst through a gas pipe and a large area localy was without gas, due to water in the gas main, for a few weeks in a summer,all houses had to be visited if people where not in National grid forced entry,quite a few unhappy residents then.

Then about 2 weeks ago we had a mains burst,a few thousand properties without water,for a few days, bottled water delivered to 2 collection points, but no way of delivering direct to peoples homes if they didnt have transport.

spekkie
    Free Member

We had the main pipe in our street replaced years ago – in winter – and we were out when they reconnected everything. They were not allowed to switch us on without us being in to confirm that everything was “switched off”. One night without gas was grim enough for us.

benv
    Free Member

as profits are put before maintenance

I thought SGN was a government owned company, similar to Scottish Water. Had to look it up and it’s definitely not. Every day is a school day.

keith74

Sadly I’m one of many effected by this and SGN have been great so far.

Got no heating the now but getting electric heaters tomorrow morning but said I’m not in a hurry and sort out the older folk and families first.Just need to dig out the turbo trainer to keep warm.

scotroutes

We had a heater failure last winter when it was that cold.. With an electric immersion and a couple of small heaters we struggled through for a couple of days.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbh I’ll take Loss of gas over loss of electric in this weather.

We lost electric for 4 days one winter. Our neighbours were forced to move out it was that cold. For us it was just like the times our parents told us of waking up with ice on the inside of the house windows till the wood fire took the chill off.

With no electric you have no heating even if on gas .

No gas is inconvienant. No electric can be life threatening.

As above if you have electric then temporary solutions can be implemented.

scotroutes

the times our parents told us of waking up with ice on the inside of the house windows

LOL. That was normal for us when I was a kid.

perchypanther
    Free Member

For us it was just like the times our parents told us of waking up with ice on the inside of the house windows till the wood fire took the chill off.

I feel old now.  I was 26 before I lived in a house with central heating or double glazing.

Ice ferns on the insides of the windows was normal.

Does no one have Calor gas heaters anymore?

Good luck to anyone affected because it’s bloody Baltic out there..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah I know but we are a generation apart. Possibly more.

My folks grew up on the farms then moved into civilization in the 90s where you don’t have to put up with that any more.

We moved back out of civilisation where power cuts are frequent and lengthy

redmex
    Free Member

I was the same with the nice patterns on the inside, much healthier than central heating softies now ,killed the bugs overnight, getting dressed under the covers. Non of these Hungarian goose doovies like the one I’ve got now

spekkie
    Free Member

In South Africa the power goes off on a regular basis. They call it “load shedding”. Consequently nearly everyone has at least one generator in the garage and a nice big BBQ to cook on.

My personal experience is that “electric off” is bareable (but a pita) whereas water off, which also happens fairly often over there, takes you back to primitive living within a couple of hours!

spekkie
    Free Member

“Does no one have Calor gas heaters anymore?”

We have one in our rented Spanish flat right now. 9kg bottle costs 16.50€.
    Warms you ok, smells a bit “gassy” and causes damp . . . . lovely!

matt_outandabout

Meh.

2010 (the really cold one) our electricity went off for a week, in a house with only storage heaters.
    We did three days/nights living in one room with a borrowed gas heater and my camping stove on the patio. It was -11 the third night outside.

We bailed out to my work where we joined the staff team living in the outdoor centre lounge, heated by open fire. 😎🔥🔥🔥😎

falkirk-mark

My gas is off just now but the house is warm enough with the electric heaters and luckily have an electric shower as well as the gas one, oven is electric so a ready meal for me tonight will be okay for a few days if the leccy stays on

donald
    Free Member

I was the same with the nice patterns on the inside, much healthier than central heating softies now ,killed the bugs overnight, getting dressed under the covers. Non of these Hungarian goose doovies like the one I’ve got now

And a bath once a week whether you needed it or not.

tdog
    Free Member

Try living 11yrs without central heating, shaving with a hot kettle and not owning a bath.

Just an electric kettle and shower

2010 was fun watching my breath hover in front of me at eye level in my bedroom/living room due to it being -12 out in the middle of no where with no electric heaters even

Majorbummer!

poly
    Free Member

But the nice company are handing out free heaters and cookers to affected residents,how long before the electric grid is overloaded and goes into melt down,also what about pipes freezing, and loss of production for factories and loss of trade for shops,offices closed and schools closed, due to no heating.

Since many of those houses probably had electric heating 30 years ago, used 2-3x as much power for lighting 10 years ago, and are better insulated these days I doubt the load on the electric grid is going to kill it. Its probably like a christmas day with everyone having loads of showers, hairdryers, using the oven, all the TVs running etc.

If there’s electric heaters there won’t be frozen pipes. If the offices/shops/schools close there will be less demand on the electric system so less likely to melt down as you predict. (Its kind of a Scottish Bank Holiday tomorrow anyway – so many places may not be too bothered).

Going to be huge claims for compo probably.

I’ve not read the T&Cs for a while – but I’m guessing there is either no compo or it will be fairly small. Otherwise your arguments about cost before maintenance would be contradictory. Commercially my providers were always very clear – sort your own contingency plans… I suspect the cost of mobilising the engineers, gaining access to properties (and securing them afterwards), staffing helplines, providing heaters etc – is actually a bigger cost than the compensation.

zippykona

getting dressed under the covers

I’d forgotten about that. Used to put my school clothes in the bottom of my bed so they were nice and warm to put on in the morning.

Ice on the inside was perfectly normal.

No , I don’t want to go back to those days.

epicyclo

zippykona

…Ice on the inside was perfectly normal….

And I liked to sleep with the window open. Too soft for that now.

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s to be 6C tomorrow low of 4C, and 9/10 on thursday, emergency averted! 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

Try living 11yrs without central heating, shaving with a hot kettle and not owning a bath.

Just an electric kettle and shower

2010 was fun watching my breath hover in front of me at eye level in my bedroom/living room due to it being -12 out in the middle of no where with no electric heaters even

Majorbummer!

You are Guy Grieve and i claim my 5 pounds

TiRed

… you were lucky …

Etc…

Hope it’s back on soon.

13thfloormonk

I thought SGN was a government owned company, similar to Scottish Water. Had to look it up and it’s definitely not. Every day is a school day.

We do a lot of work with utilities companies, have learned recently that SSE (electrical suppliers) are mostly owned by Spanish Government, or at least private individuals using Spanish Government money. Either way, they are severely understaffed and can only just barely achieve the statutory maximum allowable time scale for responding to connection requests, e.g. usually 45 days for a response to a request, and they charge for the privilege!

Still better than Scottish Water who are so inept/understaffed/incompetent that it can take them a year to assess a connection application, and their response can be so cryptic and non-sensical that even experienced engineers can’t make heads nor tails of it. Never fear though, for an additional fee Scottish Water Horizons will help de-mystify Scottish Water’s comments in order that you can actually progress with your connection. It’s like printing money for them…

I do worry about the state of the water networks and SW’s actual knowledge of what is below ground. Our village is being dug up at the moment as they attempt to connect 1 house to the mains. Problem is they can’t find the mains! One of the main roads was dug up in an effort to find what turned out to be an empty old cast iron pipe, so the road was re-enstated and the OTHER side of the road dug up instead to find the correct mains. I would almost like to work for them just to learn what goes on behind closed doors!

footflaps

I do worry about the state of the water networks and SW’s actual knowledge of what is below ground.

That’s not specific to Scotland. We discovered, via a leak, that our house was sat on an old Victorian service pipe (capped) which no one knew about and wasn’t on any maps. Cambridge Water was most surprised to find it and didn’t believe me when I said there’s a 3″ pipe gushing water under our floorboards which we’re not connected to…..

13thfloormonk

That’s not specific to Scotland.

Yeah, just wasn’t sure what the English system was, suspected it was all privatised?

SGN are a good example of how a private provider can be relatively good, haven’t dealt with private water suppliers yet…

globalti
    Free Member

*smug mode* Going geothermal soon. Will have a small genset for the compressor and a few lights.

squirrelking
    Free Member

We do a lot of work with utilities companies, have learned recently that SSE (electrical suppliers) are mostly owned by Spanish Government, or at least private individuals using Spanish Government money

That doesn’t sound right, are you not thinking of Scottish Power who are a subsidiary of Iberdrola?

As for Scottish Water, been there. Seemingly a lot of the issues stem from installations done by local authorities who knew where everything was and where it went but never bothered passing the info on. We have a sewer serving the houses around us under our extension that they never knew about as well as an old cast iron gas main that SGN never knew about either. The water main stop cock was also a mystery until the builders found out the hard way that the wrong one had been identified (and still somehow tried to blame me because they never checked it was off before they cut it). But yeah, Scottish Water were actually pretty good to deal with IIRC, everything went through Buchanan House if that helps.

13thfloormonk

That doesn’t sound right, are you not thinking of Scottish Power who are a subsidiary of Iberdrola?

You’re absolutely right, I’m confusing projects and suppliers!

project
    Free Member

On Twitter, police said: “Scottish Power is asking people in the Falkirk area is to be mindful of their electricity use over the coming days as there’s increased demand on the electricity network with people using heaters while they’re without gas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-50624237

seems there have been outages already.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Will have a small genset for the compressor and a few lights.

Don’t forget the changeover switch to isolate the house from the grid!

irc

From the BBC link above.

“Compensation of £30 will be paid to customers for every 24 hours they are without gas.”

Will cover the higher leccy bills anyway.

mogrim

And Iberdrola is a public company, not state owned.

falkirk-mark

From the BBC link above.

“Compensation of £30 will be paid to customers for every 24 hours they are without gas.”

Will cover the higher leccy bills anyway.

They are talking about the weekend I should be up £200 by then

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh well sounds like stw utopia of gas free wood burning oil free houses is a while off

Glad it’s not just me hauling progress as the evangelists on here would have you believe

poly
    Free Member

seems there have been outages already.

Not quite “melt down” that you predicted though – a few very local, very brief outages whilst someone at SSE wakes up. And the forecast is to stay warm…

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘8000 plus properties without gas in Scotland and its going to be colder’ is closed to new replies.