Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • £800 for a tourer. WWSTWD?
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

A mate has £800 to replace a stolen bike, he fancies a tourer. Any thoughts/ suggestions?   I’m keeping my thoughts out of this post as I don’t want to influence things too much… Cheers.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Whats the name of that mob in Harrogate? Spa cycles. That’s where I would go, although 800 might not get a whole bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What sort of tourer?

Surly LHT for riding the length of africa off road, or Genesis CdF/TdF for nipping to the shops with panniers?

For £800 and straight down the middle of those extremes, Genesis Vagabond?

scruff9252

As per above – I’d go to Spa cycles and get one of their own brand bikes. Come well rated in the touring world and seem keenly priced.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Too many questions not asked 😉

‘What tourer’? Is like ‘what MTB’?  Need more info

If you don’t want to overthink it then +1 for the Vagabond in the ‘recommend what you have’ style.  It covers a lot of touring bases both on and offroad but excels in no specific discipline.  Solid choice and great for the comparatively little money.  If I was choosing just to cover mostly road touring I’d be looking elsewhere.

cynic-al
    Free Member

plenty drop bar/disc bikes around at that price no?

midlifecrashes

Spesh Sequoia for that money at Rutland or Hargroves, okay slightly more at £825, but I think both places do the sign up for newsletter thing for a little bit more off.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Forgot to mention, if I hadn’t a separate budget for lighting and luggage then I’d be looking at buying used for that.  Leaving hopefully enough to spec the whole setup as required for actual touring.

Potential bargains to be had https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-Super-Galaxy-Disc-58cm-Road-Touring-Bike-Reynolds-631/223172281972?hash=item33f61ac674:g:rsEAAOSwNp1brMaW

thomthumb
    Free Member

What sort of tourer?

I’ve asked – but honestly – i don;t think he knows.

Just wondering what other peoples ideas of tourers might look like.  I’m likely to go all esoteric hipster and try and build something to get me on the radavist.

Some good ideas so far. Cheers.

RustySpanner

The new Pinnacle is £1000 and is crazy value for money, as is the Spa in both disc and non disc guises.

Spesh have dropped the fantastic AWOL for 2019 – Sequoia weighs about the same but is much less capable off road and as a loaded tourer – a crazy decision. Nothing wrong with the Sequoia, but it’s not the bike the AWOL was.

Surly prices have gone through the roof, but the LHT/DT is a wonderful bike – frame weighs the same as a Vagabond or Croix der Fer.

Fuji make a lovely tourer for not much cash if you can find one.

Have ridden all the above apart from the Pinnacle, they’re all nice bikes.

The Spa, Surly and AWOL don’t suffer from toe overlap in smaller sizes, I believe the Pinnacle has also been designed this way.

Kona Sutra is also good value in the end of year sales but they tend to change the frame each year.

The Genesis bikes all have quite severe overlap in small sizes.

ton

long term surly trucker here. but just bought myself a new road tourer.

a Jamis aurora.  not fashionable by any means, but very good value.

Reynolds 631 tubing, mavic touring wheels, shimano 105 gearing with durace barends and the trp hybrid brakes, which are ace.

rrp was £1499. bought from evans for £1000 with a free lock and helmet.

poolman
    Free Member

I have a 20 year old condor heritage which I occasionally ride, still one of the most comfortable bikes i have ever owned.  With big tyres it would be brilliant for canal towpaths.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Can I add the Marin Four Corners to the mix, the lowest spec has a triple chainset and has been a most comfortable tourer/gravel bike/occasional road ride.

slowoldman

I’ve been contemplating whether any of these would make a good all rounder and light tourer.

Boardman ADV, Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Diverge, Felt VR. Haven’t come to a conclusion.

trebord
    Free Member

He’ll get a whole lot more bike if looking at used options..

Yep, shameless sales pitch coming!!

I have a soma saga in beautiful british racing green.. size 56

PM if keen for details/pics 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘£800 for a tourer. WWSTWD?’ is closed to new replies.