Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 8 Speed Auto Box?
  • somouk
    Free Member

Has anyone had chance to use the 8 speed auto box from ZF that currently working its way around various, BMWs/Porches but in particular the 1 series?

I’m looking for a new company car and there is a good chance it will include this box but I can’t help but feel 8 gears is too many.

Cheers,
    Mart

endurogangster
    Free Member

I had an automatic Audi a4 that had 8 gears, it was that smooth that you didn’t notice any change in gear, I only noticed it had 8 gears when in semi auto and you moved up them sequentially. I wouldn’t worry about it!

stavromuller
    Free Member

There was a mention on Top Gear of a motor with an 8 speed box, can’t remember which but it was said that it’s constanly changing gear got extremely annoying, just saying like.

garage-dweller

Can you not get a test drive?

If the box is quick enough to shift and has a manual override it’s probably not too bad in a diesel/torquey car. Seems a bit like point scoring to me but then 10 years ago 6 speeds was a rarity and seems normal now.

br
    Free Member

In an auto you can’t have too many gears.

My first auto was a 3-speed, and then a 4-speed – the difference in smoothness was a revelation. My last one had 6-speeds, and often it would set off in 2nd or even 3rd. You could also if driving normally only see the change (on the revs), rather than feel it.

has a manual override

Pretty pointless in a decent auto and once you are use to the car you know exactly how hard to ‘stab’ the pedal to kick-down.

maxtorque

In full automode the latest 8spds are great, pretty much seamless upshifts at any driver demand, and perfectly revmatched downsifts. They are can cope with a very aggressive torque converter locking strategy, so most of the time they drive like a manual (doens’t feel like much if any “slip” is occuring, so none of the horrible elastic feeling between engine rpm and roadspeed).
    Typically for stop start driving they also start in 2nd or even 3rd gear from rest, limiting the need for some changes.

The only time i notice the number of gears is when in manual paddle shift mode, when it feels like you’re playing a pinball machine when manually downshifting during a hard braking event (although with some transcals, just holding the “down” paddle will automatically drop as many gears at once as it can, without needing to be pulled lots of times.

if you’ve ever driven a current 6spd ZF auto and been impressed, the 8spder is about 200% better in every respect 😉

somouk
    Free Member

Sounds like it is the right choice. No chance of a test I’m afraid I’m on the wrong continent and the car will be there when I’m back.

Thanks for the opinions!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

has a manual override

Pretty pointless in a decent auto and once you are use to the car you know exactly how hard to ‘stab’ the pedal to kick-down.

Manual override is very very useful if you enjoy cornering. Nothing worse than a slush box changing gear half way around a corner completely changing the dynamic of the car.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

200% better in every respect

3 times as good eh? Wow.

sbob
    Free Member

b r – Member

has a manual override

And when wanting to hold a lower gear to maintain control when descending a steep hill?
    Time for a brush up, b r. 🙂 💡

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Have tried it on a 535d and it super smooth and the waves of torque are unbelievable. In the afternoon I drove it over various a and b roads it was never caught short. Superb engineering

Hohum
    Free Member

Have tried it on a 535d and it super smooth and the waves of torque are unbelievable. In the
    afternoon I drove it over various a and b roads it was never caught short. Superb engineering[/quote]

Mmmmm, sounds great fun!

I still enjoy gunning my 5 speed BMW auto box at the moment, but i do look forward to the day a F10 535d becomes sensible money 🙂

mildred

We have both 8 speed auto & 6 speed auto boxes in our LR Discoveries at work – the consensus from the 60 odd people using them is that the 8 speed is garbage. It’s lazy, slow to react and seems tuned for optimum fuel efficiency than performance. The sport mode is only marginally better. The 6 speed in contrast is excellent. Just as smooth when changing gear but feels smoother on the overall drive because it performs less gear changes. The caveat to this is that we perhaps use them in a radically different manner compared to if it was your own vehicle.

johnellison
    Free Member

There was a mention on Top Gear of a motor with an 8 speed box, can’t remember which but it was said that it’s constanly changing gear got extremely annoying, just saying like.

In the new GayngeRange Rover wasn’t it??

surfer
    Free Member

I have a 7 speed Merc and its as smooth as a smooth thing with smooth bits on. As above sometimes you can only notice the gear change by looking at the rev counter. Luuuurrrrvvvly!

speed12
    Free Member

Working with vehicles with the latest ZF 8-speed and it’s great. Very very smooth changes and shift strategies are sensible. 8 gears is great as it will always sit happily no matter the engine speed.

I’d say go and try one, but from my perspective definitely a good choice.

br
    Free Member

And when wanting to hold a lower gear to maintain control when descending a steep hill?
    Time for a brush up, b r.

Either I’ve not driven 5h1t auto’s for a while or you’ve not driven good ones. They just do it for you.

Manual override is very very useful if you enjoy cornering. Nothing worse than a slush box changing gear half way around a corner completely changing the dynamic of the car.

Again disagree. It its a quality car with a powerful engine and multi-speed auto this just isn’t a problem – and hasn’t been for years.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got an infinity-gear box.

maxtorque

mildred

We have both 8 speed auto & 6 speed auto boxes in our LR Discoveries at work – the consensus from the 60 odd people using them is that the 8 speed is garbage. It’s lazy, slow to react and seems tuned for optimum fuel efficiency than performance. The sport mode is only marginally better. The 6 speed in contrast is excellent. Just as smooth when changing gear but feels smoother on the overall drive because it performs less gear changes. The caveat to this is that we perhaps use them in a radically different manner compared to if it was your own vehicle.

Without wishing to offend anyone who works for JLR, but i find their transcals (and engine cals) to be hit and miss at the best of times. For me, L405 (new RR) is one of their better cals, and L359 with V6diesel (disco4) one of the worse.

bol

7 Speed Merc here. Lovely and smooth. Have used the flappy paddles two or three times since I’ve had it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Generally slightly better economy figures from the BMWs with the 8sp auto vs the manual.

the00
    Free Member

Sounds like the option to have. I would.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=26917

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Again disagree. It its a quality car with a powerful engine and multi-speed auto this just isn’t a problem – and hasn’t been for years.

Multi-speed auto? There’s another type?

Who’s going to let the race & rally teams know, you or me? They’re going to be pissed they’d not been using the best technology for the job.

sobriety
    Free Member

Formula 1:

2004 – fully automatic transmission banned.

From wiki, so they would if they could.

br
    Free Member

Who’s going to let the race & rally teams know, you or me? They’re going to be pissed they’d not been using the best technology for the job.

They would if they could.

sbob
    Free Member

b r – Member

Either I’ve not driven 5h1t auto’s for a while or you’ve not driven good ones. They just do it for you.

Yes of course an auto always knows whether you want to slowly coast or use maximum engine breaking.
    🙄
    The other option is that you’re talking out of your Botham. 💡

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’ve driven a BMW 530D with the 8 speed ZF box and it is a thing of beauty. Changes as quickly as a DSG box and was somehow able to read my mind as to what ratio I needed next. It will jump over ratios if need be so don’t think because it has 8 speeds it will be constantly changing gears. I tried using the paddle shifters but gave up after a while because they are simply not necessary even when pressing on. Also in the 5 series the fuel economy with the 8 speed auto is better than the equivalent manual car. The 6 speed auto in my Merc is positively crude and slothful by comparison.

gribble
    Free Member

No idea on the technical merits, but have a 8 speed 320d BMW, just over 1 year old. Really nice engine and the gear box is great. Makes the car very nice to drive and changes gear much quicker than I could, even with me using the +/- change thing like I am pretending to drive a rally car.

I got it second hand and didn’t really have to pay any premium to get the auto box though, so no idea how much they are charging for it (suspect more than any bike I have bought).

maxtorque

It’s worth noting in the “fuel economy better than a manual” stakes, that this only applies to the fuel economy under the test conditions and during normal driving. if you have a manual, their are numerous hypermiling techniques that you can use to push fuel economy up well beyond the reach of even the best autos!

(my old manual 330d, i could fairly easily get up to ~56mpg with some hypermiling, my current 335d auto i can’t get above ~45mpg however i drive it)

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i’ve had a few 3 series as courtesy car’s whilst mines been serviced and tbh i’m getting one too. In comparison to VW’s DSG they are awesome. The DSG may line up the next gear etc but it also dithers too much, the 8 speed is brilliant piece of kit and the 525d I had for a few days still averaged 40mpg which is good underneath my foot. The emissions are very good too, so go for it

sbob
    Free Member

maxtorque – Member

It’s worth noting in the “fuel economy better than a manual” stakes, that this only applies to the fuel economy under the test conditions

Yep, the lab tests are skewed in favour of autos (something to do with them being able to choose what gear they do the tests in).

Anyway, my commuter has an infinite number of ratios so I guess I get to wave my willy the wildest. 😀

br
    Free Member

Yes of course an auto always knows whether you want to slowly coast or use maximum engine breaking.

The first you just let off the accelerator, the second you let off the accelerator and then use the brake. Even racers use the brakes, that’s what they are there for.

sbob
    Free Member

You’re suggesting trailing brakes.
    On a mountain bike forum.
    Where I’m guessing almost everyone is familiar with disc brakes.
    And mountains.
    😳

It appears you won’t take my word for it, so why not go on an advanced driving forum and ask there about never manually selecting gears in an auto.

sbob
    Free Member

votchy
    Free Member

Without wishing to offend anyone who works for JLR, but i find their transcals (and engine cals) to be hit and miss at the best of times. For me, L405 (new RR) is one of their better cals, and L359 with V6diesel (disco4) one of the worse.

It only offends us at JLR when you get the code numbers wrong, L359 is Freelander, Disco is L319, could tell you the others but might get in trouble 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

Which string-backed fingerless gloves for browsing advanced drivers’ forums?

maxtorque

votchy

It only offends us at JLR when you get the code numbers wrong, L359 is Freelander, Disco is L319, could tell you the others but might get in trouble

oops, sorry i transposed a 5 in their didn’t I

And BTW you don’t need to tell me the others i work for JLR 😉

Anywhich way, the 8spdr in the current MY products is a massive improvement in driveability to the old 6spd units!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘8 Speed Auto Box?’ is closed to new replies.