Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 8 speed Alivio to 9 speed Deore
  • pembo6
    Free Member

Ok, so my current drivetrain is all 8sp Alivio other than Deore rear derailleur and XT cables.

I want to swap the whole thing out for 9sp Deore (can’t afford anything better).

Is it worth it? Will I notice a difference other than a few extra I between gears?

Any experience or advice would be awesome. Thanks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ll not notice much riding other than either lower gears or slightly smaller gaps.

You can re-use your 8s mech (as long as it will take whatever big cog you choose) to save a bit of £££.

I’m still on 8s FWIW, if I “upgrade”, it’s more likely to be to 1 x 10 – the shorter cable pull on 9s makes it more vulnerable to set up, adjustment, mech wear and gear cable contamination, which I expect 10s will avoid to some extent.

cynic-al
    Free Member

weird double post thingmy

matt_outandabout

I would stay 8 speed and buy good used stuff. One of my kids bikes is rocking 8speed xt and xtr…and cost was much lower than 9 or 10 speed.

mrmo
    Free Member

if the bike is alivio, i am guessing it is a fairly cheap bike, in which case upgrading much probably isn’t worth it.

However, ask yourself what your trying to achieve.

Weight, have a look at a chain set, maybe wheels, finishing kit.
    looks fair enough,
    performance, there really isn’t much in it to be honest. when things wear out then replace them.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

Basically what mrmo said. Upgrade the parts that really can improve the ride. I would also try to do this incsuch a way that the parts will be transferable to another frame if you go that route. Even entry level wheels, fulcrum 10 for example can transform a bike. Wheels, forks, brakes and chainset. Probably in that order.

coatesy
    Free Member

Just done the “upgrade” to 9sp myself, cost and availability of reasonable 8sp stuff were the only reason for me. Ratios on the cassette are the same as my old set-up, plus a 32t bottom that I never use (could have an 11-28t at about twice the price, but never felt the need for closer ratios either). If you feel a lower gearing will be better for you, it’s probably worth doing when your drivetrain needs replacing.

pembo6
    Free Member

[/quote]if the bike is alivio, i am guessing it is a fairly cheap bike, in which case upgrading much probably isn’t worth it.

I understand wot u r saying, but in my case it is a Ragley mmmBop frame. It probably deserves better than Alivio.
    I find 8 speed perfect but good parts are becoming hard to find. Easier to go to 9 speed.

I was mainly wondering how much better Deore is than Alivio or will I not notice a difference?? I can’t afford anything higher than Deore.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I find 8 speed perfect but good parts are becoming hard to find. Easier to go to 9 speed.

The only parts that are hard to find that are unique to 8-speed are cassettes and shifters, and neither of those are THAT hard to find. HG50 cassette is nice, and STX shifters are great. SRAM PC870 or 890 chain. For everything else use 9-speed parts.

pembo6
    Free Member

As u say, cassettes and chains are easy to find. But reasonably priced rear and front derailleurs are more scarce.

re u saying I can use 9 speed rear mech with 8 speed drivetrain? I have read very mixed reviews on this. Something to do with chain width. What about cranks?

mrmo
    Free Member

What i would suggest then is stick with the 8 spd for now, look at the finishing kit, good tyres and wheels will make far more of a difference then Alivio to Deore. Maybe put some money aside for now and later replace the drivechain and shifters. If you want to save some money and depending on how strong/how you ride it may be worth looking at 1×10.

kja78
    Free Member

I have to disagree with the others. A few years ago I went from alivio to deore on my Scott aspect. The difference is noticeable and well worth it imo. I also couldn’t get a 9 speed deore mech to work nicely with the 8 speed alivio stuff. Depending on your budget it might be worth looking at a 10 speed groupset from Merlin or similar.

downshep

Currently running 9 speed Deore rear mechs on 2 bikes with otherwise 8 speed transmission. One has old XT shifters, the other Alivio. Both work fine. Have also previously run an 8 speed XT rear mech on a 9 speed system without fuss.

8 speed is fine for most circumstances and more tolerant to grime and misalignment than 9 speed. Only upgrade if you have to.

LittleTones
    Free Member

Perhaps consider the new 9 sp Alivio, my son has it on his bike and it’s better than deore from five years ago. Not sure how it compares price wise.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘8 speed Alivio to 9 speed Deore’ is closed to new replies.