Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • £8 cans of IPA
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

does anyone buy them?

I’m a fully paid up artisan/craft consumer and I don’t care.

selvage denim made in London, decent wine, £3 artisan donuts (from St John bakery), shoes from Northampton, Danish ‘mid century’ furniture (the real stuff not Ikea crap) single origin coffee from the best roasters in Europe (the Barn/ Drop etc). And I like beer, proper beer like mild and stout/porter as well as saison, lambic, gueuze etc so not adverse to seeking out and paying for interesting beer.

but £8-£9 for a can of cloudwater?

rene59
    Free Member

I imagine someone will be buying them otherwise they wouldn’t be making them.

donks
    Free Member

No in short.

We have a wee artisan beer shop and bar place in town that we frequent which sells some nice beers at about £3 to £4a can and I’ll partake in that stuff but they also have bottles up to about £17!! This is mainly Belgian beer and I’ll be surprised if they’ve ever sold a bottle yet.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gastromonkey
    Free Member

I have paid that price for beer. It has to be good and it’s a treat. Think of it like paying extra for good wine. The extra cost of the hops and that it is probably a limited run is why it costs more. They’re not getting the savings the mega brewers get and they create real local jobs.

If you think it’s too much don’t buy it and don’t worry about it.

brant
    Free Member

I think I’ve gone to £6.50, maybe £7.

This is very good, though £6.15

https://www.magicrockbrewing.com/product/what-are-the-odds-500ml-can/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If it’s something that looks good, why not?

I’ve paid about £20 for a 330ml bottle before, and it was sublime. Worth every penny, and lasted an evening. Black Tokyo Horizon.

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, if you like it and can afford it why not?

I only like Co-op imported Czech Lager (£1.50/500ml bottle), Cornish Pilser (£2.30 to £3.00/pint) and some imported German white beer (£1.85/500ml bottle).

I have tried some IPA stuff but not to my liking.

redmist
    Free Member

Not that unusual for me, although I do live in Norway so that’s my excuse. But as a treat, and if it’s well rated why not?

MrSmith
    Free Member

I think I tried some Nogne a while back, don’t think it was anything special, and certainly not good enough to stop me reaching for a Kernel India export porter or a table beer.

I might take a punt on a can of something ‘expensive’ from the local beer shop soon and see if they live up to the hype.

nickjb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t but then I’ve paid £4-£5 a pint for some terrible beer so that’s probably worse value.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not a chance, from me.

Not when my local produces the best real ale this side of the pacos… £3.20 a pint and take away at £2.90 a pint ..

You can dress how you like, it’s the demeanour that counts.

ransos
    Free Member

Yes. A Cloudwater DIPA, and a barrel aged sour.

curvature
    Free Member

£10 for a G&T and £3 for less than 1/2 pint in the hotel that I just spent an angry week in Majorca!

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

selvage denim made in London, decent wine, £3 artisan donuts (from St John bakery), shoes from Northampton, Danish ‘mid century’ furniture (the real stuff not Ikea crap) single origin coffee from the best roasters in Europe (the Barn/ Drop etc). And I like beer, proper beer like mild and stout/porter as well as saison, lambic, gueuze etc so not adverse to seeking out and paying for interesting beer.

Do you ever feel the need for a chicken sandwich meal from maccy d’s?

slimporcini
    Free Member

£8-9 for cloudwater, someone’s making a few quid on them and it isn’t the brewery. never see a can of their’s for more than £6 these days.

Some shops are keener on their pricing than others, recently seen 750ml cantillon kriek for sale at £10.80 in one place and £18.50 in another! recently bought a loverbeer saison for £8, which was really expensive and later saw it for sale elsewhere for £12, it was only a 375ml bottle too and some of the american stuff can be eye wateringly expensive!

Not adverse to spending decent money on decent beer but this whole craft beer scene is like the national lottery when it comes to quality! There’s too many shit breweries out there and even the big hitters like cloudwater, verdant, magic rock, northern monk are turning out too much rubbish and asking top dollar for it, these days i rarely buy any cans i’ve not tried on keg previous.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes, I have done and some of the good stuff from Track next door.

The DIPA’s are good beers and the hop bill alone will push up the price. The barrel aging also costs money and does a lot for the flavour. If you don’t want to pay that they have everything for £3 a glass (size of glass varies by beer) in the barrel store.

But £8 for 500ml of good quality beer puts it at the same price as a £12 bottle of red – about the price for a half decent aussie shiraz these days, So it’s not that bad really if you like the beer.

People have a price conditioning, beer is cheap and we drink lots of it, wine is more but we drink it slower etc. etc. the world of what is on offer is changing along with how we consume it. Plenty of people I know would now take some beers around to share over dinner over wine.

ElShalimo

I think this thread has descended into “I’m frightfully more middle-class than you but still drink beer to stay in touch with the working man”

thestabiliser
    Free Member

We should hold a fete to raise funds for the deserving poor to enjoy some.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Do you ever feel the need for a chicken sandwich meal from maccy d’s?

No, not had a McDonald’s since 1996. Fish and chips is my fast food of choice.

Haze

£8 for 4 Jack Hammer IPA will do me.

Most I’ve ever spent was £35 ish for a Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We should hold a fete to raise funds for the deserving poor to enjoy some.

Will there be a similar scheme to allow me to have some Chateau de Chassilier?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most I’ve ever spent was £35 ish for a Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

How was it, nearly got one for christmas from the local good offie but it had gone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/drinks/wine/all?sc_cmp=ppc*GHS%20-%20Grocery%20-%20Alcohol*PX%20%7C%20Alcohol%20%7C%20Tesco%20Brand%20%7C%20Tesco%20Wine%20Exact%20(Test)*Tesco%20Wine*tesco%20wine*e&gclid=CjwKCAjwwdTbBRAIEiwAYQf_E8PGcmeIHhOYbXumuycTBUacfieXMDDi0dSG1p-0DJtukrjLaP8b1xoCXw0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJv38frU8twCFdnHUQodBAELFA&sortBy=priceDescending&page=1

Worse value alcohol by volume for near on 4 pages 😉 Wine only has one real ingredient too so it’s ridiculous how much the price varies. It’s not like the costs of malt are up this year, the hops cost money and all that is it….

and yeah 3 posts in a row, frivolous

Haze

Sweet and smelt of ash trays.

Worth trying if you like a complex beer, it’s been a while since I tried it so would probably buy another 👍

sbob
    Free Member

The extra cost of the hops

Hops are a fixed price, and Yakima valley are churning out plenty. My tied gaff sells pints for upto £5,20 but that reflects our extortionate rent in one of the most desirable parts of the UK. Our cheapest untied pint is £3.40. Don’t be mugged off!

tomd
    Free Member

To be clear, this is £8 in an off-licence /supermarket type place? If so, no. I really don’t think I’ve spent more than £2.50, or maybe £3.00 on holiday in small local shops.

I’m not adverse to spending money on crap, so as Mike says above I’m just conditioned that beer is a cheap drink. I’m happy to spend a lot more occasionally for good wine or whisky so should probably try some “better” beers as well just to see what’s out there.

petec
    Free Member

maybe not £8, but I’ve paid a lot. Just been around California, and the selection there was amazing. Think the strongest was 9.5%, and even the wife got into a 8.5% Orange Wheat Beer. They were a bit more than the average Bud Light.

But it is only one an evening, savoured.

Here we’re lucky to have two shops nearby, one in Newbury and one in Reading, and even the local brewer has now got a craft beer subsidiary selling DIPA or a pineapple pale ale.

I also work for a can producer, so quite frankly the more cans we sell the better. And the cans we produce for them are winning awards

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hops are a fixed price, and Yakima valley are churning out plenty.

Does every beer contain the same amount?

andyg1966

And i was thinking isopropanol

Much cheaper

BillMC

Sources of divine IPA for under £4:

Smithfield Market Tavern, Manchester

The Dispensary, Liverpool

ransos
    Free Member

Does every beer contain the same amount?

Quite. I homebrew and beers with a high hop content cost me a lot more to make. And pricing varies depending on the variety. Then there’s the additional losses from absorption.

sparkyrhino

8 Ace £1.49

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is that 8 beers of that or just something else? Are they double ipa’s?

Is the stw policy that there should be a cap on beer prices? Where are we on other key staples like olives?

globalti
    Free Member

Absolutely no chance when I can walk into the convivial atmosphere of a pub and enjoy a fresh pint for £3 here in Manchester. If it’s Holts, you know it was brewed very recently and has only travelled a couple of miles.

People who spend hideous amounts of money on miserable little cans of pasteurised beer fizzed up with CO2 are victims of the old marketing adage that if you sell things very expensive you can fool a certain number of gullible and cash-rich people into believing the product must be superior in some way.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

. If it’s Holts, you know it was brewed very recently and has only travelled a couple of miles.

If it’s cloud water I can buy it from the fridge in the room where the barrel aging happens. I can buy a fresh beer too. Keg style beer has made a very solid breakthrough in the craft Market due to quality.

Id guess you haven’t tried any of the beers down there?

Just pop down

Cloudwater Unit 9 tap room
    Piccadilly Trading Estate, Unit 9, Gidding Road, Manchester M1 2NP
    0161 278 9029

https://goo.gl/maps/y1s3aHBzNv72

Try some beers and see if it’s worth it

BillMC

^^ couldn’t agree more (apart from enjoying the Holts bit). Bought a White Rat last week in Liverpool for £3.30, it was 5/5 same as when I was last in that place. The RAT IPA was £3.60. Nothing out of a tin, pasteurised and gassed, could come close to that.

ransos
    Free Member

If it’s Holts, you know it was brewed very recently and has only travelled a couple of miles.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will get on with drinking beer that tastes nice.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

petec, good to see Inn at Home mentioned there. A great shop (at least the Newbury one is, as that’s the one I’ve been to). They sell the likes of Tiny Rebel, Stonehenge and Arbor as well, which is A Good Thing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nothing out of a tin, pasteurised and gassed, could come close to that.

You know that beer got delivered to the pub in a big metal tin, was made in a big metal tank? You can try and make it sound bad but truly it’s not. I guess you didn’t try any of them to actually compare to

petec
    Free Member

good to see Inn at Home mentioned

The shop is the main reason I go to Newbury (although to be fair the town has improved immensely recently). Great selection, and there are some amazing local providers. The taproom at WestBerks is superb, and if you ever get the chance to go and see Tim at TuttsClump cider in his car workshop – leap at it. Lovely chap, who started off making 25 litres a year. He’s now up to about 100000.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘£8 cans of IPA’ is closed to new replies.