Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 7mesh thunder pant alternatives?
  • marksnook
    Free Member

So I’m fully convinced I need some good waterproof gear, had cheaper stuff in the past. Never found anything that holds onto its waterproof qualities for more than a few months.
    The thunderpants seem to be perfect but I just can’t find them in stock!
    The Patagonia dirt roamer pants look good although with mixed reviews, anyone got them and know how they compare? I know there was a thread about waterproofs last week.
    I want to buy something that is going to last a few years basically so not cheap options or army goretex!

tomfun

Really happy with my Royal storm pants.

3rd winter approaching and still going strong. Easy to reproof in the machine with nikwax.

They usually discount heavily around black Friday, I got mine for £70

djflexure

I have some Sweet Protection waterproof shorts that are holding up well. Previously used Gore Alp X which seemed less robust; two pairs holed in the backside. IIRC Gore replaced the first pair FOC so customer service was good.

jam-bo

I’ve had expensive waterproof shorts, cheap waterproof shorts and a few in between.

they all fail/leak at the seat. mud + saddle + pedalling will trash the most expensive fabrics just as quick as cheap ones.

the most impressive and long lasting have been a set of madison zeniths with zip off botttoms. although I rarely zip off the bottom bits and they leak through the zips if its really wet.

marksnook
    Free Member

I’ve had waterproof shorts and while my ass was dry the rest of me was cold and wet, hence switching to waterproof trousers. The fox ones I had we’re not waterproof for much more than a few months. The Troy Lee ones were soaked through after a couple hours. Hence looking at more expensive options. Sure I’ve seen a couple people on here say they own them. £300 is a lot of money but if they lasted 3 or so winters they would be worth it. Just can’t seem to find them in stock anywhere.
    Only alternative I can find to thunder pants are the Patagonia dirt roamer ones and wondered if anyone had experience of any

jam-bo

my point was more that the point of failure will be the same from shorts to trousers. and I’m not spending more will fix that necessarily.

and I much prefer trousers to shorts in winter. plus it stops your feet getting so wet from water running down the legs.

marksnook
    Free Member

Oh sorry thought you meant to get waterproof shorts! Yeah the trouser definitely help with water running down and the cleaner legs after a ride is so good!
    I was hoping spending on something premium like the 7mesh ones would make them last but it’s clearly
    Not worth it if they have the same life as a cheaper alternative

jam-bo

warranty might be better? my sweet mudrides delaminated after a hard winter. they gave me a new set, they started doing the same thing after another winter. then moved onto trousers instead.

jimmy

Someone mentioned Dirtlej on a different thread, they look good.

https://www.dirtlej.com/

hannahjayy
    Free Member

I have the Patagonia Dirt Roamer pants and couldn’t be more impressed, genuinely waterproof and incredibly well made. Great company to buy from and very good service if anything does ever go wrong with them.

stayhigh

Have seen a number of posts with people extolling the virtues of Decathlons AM Trail Pants which look sensible. Curious as to how people are getting on with these and similar in relations to wearing knee pads.

honourablegeorge

No idea if any good, but spotted these on SP

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2219900

Del

Stayhigh, they’re great vfm, a ‘bit’ windproof, a ‘bit’ water proof, but very definitely only a bit. They’re thin and don’t hold water, but have waterproof panels at front of shins and arse, breath fairly well and work for me in single digit temperatures. They’re not going to keep you dry but they’re a good compromise and very well priced compared to the competition. I wore them on the night ride last week but it was too warm for them really ~ low teens.

marksnook
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions but unless they are goretex level of waterproof I’m not interested. I’ve got stuff that is mildly waterproof. I’m talking full waterproof for torrential downpour days where the rain is relentless!
    I find the decathlon pants really odd fitting. 34” is massive on me and 32” is a little too tight and revealing if you know what I mean?! Which is weird as I’m 31”/32” in everything else!
    Thanks @hannahjayy how long have you had them? I’ve seen a couple reviews where the seam separated after a winter but they were replaced no problems. Those or the thunder pants seem like the what I’m after and I just can’t find the thunder pants in my size. Sort of decides it then!

zerocool

@jimmy Those Dirtlej Trailscout trousers look nice. Does anyone know if the build quality/longevity is worth the money?
    I’d always assumed that the only product they made was that hideous romper suit thing.

hannahjayy
    Free Member

@marksnook I got them last autumn, had a fair bit of use and a few washes and they’re good as new, still beading as well as the first wear. Not crashed in them yet to test the durability but no rips or tears from brambles. I have always been super impressed with Patagonia customer service, they repair or replace gear with very few questions asked. I had a zip go on a 4 year old jacket i had lost the receipt for, they repaired and had it back to me within 3 days.

bruneep

I had a zip go on a 4 year old jacket i had lost the receipt for, they repaired and had it back to me within 3 days

just wait until its 8 years old though….

marksnook
    Free Member

Thanks @hannahjayy that sells it to me! Now I just got to decide between the blue and black! I don’t think the patagonia ones are astronomically more expensive compared to say a fox or Troy Lee pair that don’t do well after one winter

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘7mesh thunder pant alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.