Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 7day most miles GWR attempt anyone been followig
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

https://www.followmychallenge.com/live/josh/7days/?57.042493,-2.69472,7.62

Gonna be a tense 24 hours. It’s tantalisingly within his grasp but the maths is saying no.

Seen him out on course 3 times today. Once in a village where he was looking strong and twice on the roads between towns where he looked an understandably broken man.

He’s made a great stab so far and for his tenacity I really want him to get it but like I say two things niggle. 1 is the maths makes it hard for me to say he can do it and 2. He rode till 5.30 this morning. Had 2 hours sleep and plans to ride till the times up on Sunday night. – the fact he’s on a public road doing that concerns me- mainly the fact it’s a horribly busy and nasty to cycle on public road at the best of times let alone with no sleep

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Looks a bit far off now – 454 miles to go in 31 hours. ‘Only’ done 181 miles today, an immense effort obviously. Surprised he went for another attempt so soon after the last one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh I get that.

But I do think it’s gonna be close

Also don’t underestimate the power of *being nearly there* for your average speed.

I’ve been on the recieving end of that at times and you do honestly feel super human.

If he gets that second wind it might just be enough to edge it…..on the other hand after 6 days that’s a big ask and he may end up sat at the side of the road wondering where it all went wrong.

jimmy

What’s this all about – link?

trail_rat
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

350 to go with 23 hours to do it.

He averaged a shade under 14 mph yesterday

He has to do about 15.5 for the full 23hrs to break even ….

It’ll be close 13.6*23 is 312miles

trail_rat
    Free Member

Here comes the adrenalin I suspect. He will be beginning to think it’s his to lose now. He looks like he has control.

Nail biting stuff he’s just gone back ahead of schedule.

damascus
    Free Member

Incredible, how much sleep has he had? I hope hes safe and doesn’t fall asleep on the bike.

tjagain

I sort of admire his grit in doing this but spending a week riding up and down the same main road?

trail_rat
    Free Member

how much sleep has he had

Since Friday morning….not alot.

Rode till 5.30 Saturday morning – slept for 2 hours and has essentially ridden since.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Just walked down Banchhigh Street to cheer him on. He is stopped at ride cafe having a bite to eat. He looked absolutely ruined! Hopefully some fuel and coffee will sort him out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

He looked absolutely ruined!

Understandably

damascus
    Free Member

I sort of admire his grit in doing this but spending a week riding up and down the same main road?

Is he just going up and down the same road for 7 days? Is it a flat?

I remember watching the 1 year attempt and I followed the American bloke on Strava (can’t remember his name) and he just rode round a national park every day and did about 200 miles and 100ft of climbing.

Just seems like a missed opportunity not to explore a bit more. In my opinion, the 44 hour lejog record is far more impressive than riding up and down a road 1000 times.

But each to their own.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is he just going up and down the same road for 7 days? Is it a flat?

Yes and it’s also the longest and most wind protected east west road in Scotland (possibly England) gradual climb net gain on way out. Means gradual descent on the return.

His first attempt went all way to braemar. – ballater to braemar being the most exposed section he’s wisely cut it out this time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just seems like a missed opportunity not to explore a bit more

The further you travel the less control you have over things like where to feed , where to sleep, where your support car can stop

sockpuppet

I remember watching the 1 year attempt and I followed the American bloke on Strava (can’t remember his name) and he just rode round a national park every day and did about 200 miles and 100ft of climbing.

Mixing two tales there! Kurt Searvogel was the American chap who took the record from Tommy Godwin. He was often riding 200 miles downwind, then getting a lift back upwind for the following day! Not banned of course, but gaming the system I reckon! He also did some of his miles on a recumbent IIRC. Still amazing mileage.

I felt sorry for Steve Abraham, the Brit guy competing with Kurt; he was doing it very honestly (if not all that ‘smart’) riding loops round the U.K. in all weathers. He might have done it if he hadn’t been taken off by a drunk moped rider & got a broken ankle. His follow up attempts never really had a chance once Kurt moved the record on.

The current record (set round and round the park) was Amanda Coker, who’s a machine! Hour after hour, day after day, round the same loop at 20mph+. Amazing. Dull beyond belief, but amazing, and very optimised for getting miles done.

Even more the mental strength to push in past 365 days to set a 100,000 mile record too. Bonkers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Back onto the 7 day record.

His pace has picked up dramatically but his target average is still going in the wrong direction :/

trail_rat
    Free Member

240 miles in 15 hours – 16mph AVE. That AVE is still creeping up slowely.

I have a worry this is going to be heartbreakingly close but on the wrong side of the record :/

thegeneralist
    Free Member

16.25 needed.
    Still says “Ahead”. Wonder how it’s calculated.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Here’s hoping it’s a teaching of the old Chinese proverb.

“Those that say it can’t be done should not disturb those who are doing it”

Wife spoke to his support squad today when she was out all seem confident.

sparksmcguff

Gave him a cheer as he set off from a break in Banchory. Would like to have been at the roadside more this past week.

He looked tired but given how far he’s come you wouldn’t expect less. I’m optimistic he can do it.

Whatever the outcome it’s impressive. And that it’s happening on Deeside is fab.

(We we’re just down the hill from you @trail_rat last week, we had the Breton and Basque flag up on the snow poles).

thegeneralist
    Free Member

16.25 needed.

16.11 needed I think. Which must mean he’s been doing over 16.25 since my last post, so sounds good

Go go go

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s going to be closer than I thought it would be – 115m in 6.5hrs to go…..hey, even I could do that (just not with the 2000m in the preceding 7 days…!)

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Eek. 16.98 needed 🙁

trail_rat
    Free Member

His trackers dead.

He’s still moving.

trail_rat
    Free Member

90 miles to go.

Looks like the shift to riding between our road end and ride cafe has paid off…. It’s near as damn it flat and it’s been calm all day no wind.

Where as the road to ballater is undulating net gain and major road works delays at kinker as a it’s a Sunday in kinker and a bridge is out

trail_rat
    Free Member

30 miles to go at 1;30 .
    AVE 18 mph otr

It’s on

jkomo

Looks like he’s done it!

Yetiman
    Free Member

First thing I checked when my alarm went off this morning. Status: RECORD! Phenomenal effort and he’s beaten the old record by 2 miles according to the local radio news bulletin.

tjagain

Impressive and absurd at the same time

thegeneralist
    Free Member

30 miles to go at 1;30 .
    AVE 18 mph otr

Que?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Quoted from his face book not my math. At 1.30 had 30 miles to go and was moving at 18 mph

sparksmcguff

Well that was close 😅 but what an amazing last effort and congratulations Josh. Good to see lots of signs out in support of the lad.

(Was also the first thing I checked this morning.)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘7day most miles GWR attempt anyone been followig’ is closed to new replies.