Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 71806 or 61806 bearings
  • wishiwascalledsteve

Hi all, needs some new BB bearings for a Hope bottom bracket.
    Hopes site says I need 71806 bearings, which are 30x42x7.
    But 61806 are also 30x42x7 and they’re available in the SKF solid oil version, which could be a good idea for the BB.

So what’s the difference between the two and would they both work ok?
    Ta

Onzadog
    Free Member

Doesn’t the 7 indicate an angular contact bearing while the 6 indicates a deep groove bearing?

The only real difference would be how much preload you apply.

wishiwascalledsteve

Thanks for the reply, so it will fit and work, but a different type of bearing!?

Am I right in thinking, that as long as I don’t overdo the preload the 61806 bearing will be fine?

Thanks

Onzadog
    Free Member

6 series deep groove bearings have been used on bottom bracket for years without issue. Hope’s own advice at one point was that a really tiny bit if play is better than too much preload.

wishiwascalledsteve

Cool, thanks for the help

DickBarton

Solid oil – as in grease?

matt_outandabout

I would like to try out the Cane Creek / SKF solid bearings – anyone running them?

Kahurangi

Hope’s own advice at one point was that a really tiny bit if play is better than too much preload

That’s what I would have suggested if you were going to try the deep groove instead of angular contact bearings.

n.b. 71806 in stock here

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=71806

wishiwascalledsteve

Just ordered two, had to pay over the odds for UK stock as none of the German sites, which were a tenner cheaper per bearing, are shipping to UK.

Look promising though.

https://www.skf-mtrx.de/en

Instead of grease, the bearing have a more solid plastic/polymer taking up the dead space. Theory is there’s no grease to wash out and no space for water to collect.

wishiwascalledsteve

Thanks for all the replies, wanted to try the SKF ones as had a couple of sets of 71806 become rough quite quickly.

DickBarton

Ah, that makes sense…thanks.

Kahurangi

Good luck and make sure to report back in 6 or 12 months!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘71806 or 61806 bearings’ is closed to new replies.