Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 700c Touring Rims, disks?
  • mansonsoul
    Free Member

Hello all!

I’m looking to rebuild my current 26″ wheels into 700c, for a touring/load lugging bike. The build would be an 8spd Alfine rear, with a Alfine Dynamo hub up front.

I want black rims, disk only with no braking surface as that looks rubbish, but I don’t know anything about 700c stuff.

I definitely don’t want tubeless, and I want to run between, say, 35-50c tyres, nothing crazy thin.

Are Mavic TN319 rims any good for touring etc? Anything else I should be looking at?

mugsys_m8

Rigida Sputniks…but they have a braking surface. Not a bad thing in my book which says functionality before looks!

tinribz
    Free Member

Halo Aerotrack or Velocity deep v come to mind.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I built my Tripster up using stans arch 29er rim.

I’m sure you know but 700c is the same diameter as 29er. Just the width might be different but if you want to run 35-50mm tyres, they sound perfect.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the Rigida Taurus rims? I don’t think I can bear the idea of Sputniks I’m afraid mugsys, my bikes have always been disgustingly utilitarian, and I’m keen to have something that pleases me aesthetically for once.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

H Plus Son Archetype, 23mm rim so you can run wider tyres without them getting sloppy.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Are Mavic TN319 rims any good for touring etc?

I’ve got them on my Fargo, they build up into really nice wheels. I’ve only ridden about 300 miles anthem so far on trails and Tarmac, but so far so good.

steezysix
    Free Member

Superstar XCX 29″ would be a good option – just got a complete set of wheels for commuting on my hardtail, happy so far.

peath
    Free Member

TN319 here too on my Vaya, seemed a good all round compromise to me.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I have the TN719 rims on my commuter/touring bike. Super strong and stiff as based on the MTB stuff, disc only, black, done a couple of winters and corrosion free, I also use 35c tyres, could pop a cross tyre on and have an option to go to 50, or even a 29er tyre.

Mine have, literally, done thousands of miles. Started life on a MTB, now running Alfine dynamo front and Alfine 8 rear, just like your plans.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Velocity A23 comes in non-machined sidewall (ie disc only) version.

Here’re mine:

DSC_1824 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

32H only available in the UK, but if you ask the people at Brick Lane Bikes very, very nicely, they can import 28H ones for you 🙂

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Those H Plus Son rims look like they might be a bit too full on roadie to me.

I’m also really not going to run stans, as my experience of them is that the design makes tyres a nightmare to get on and off, which is a sacrifice you can make if it’s going to be run tubeless, but seems pointless if you won’t be. And I definitely won’t be!

Can anyone discern the differences between the TN319 and TN719?

mugsys_m8

719 is probably lighter and more expensive?
    Is the way with the 3 and 7 series XC rims.

I understand your wishes! I need to build myself up some touring wheels in 26″ and whilst they will be for my inbred which gets used as tourer and mountain bike and has hope mono minis usually, I’d like a bit of flexibility. Plus if something happens to my hopes mid tour I can easily find some v brakes somewhere and stick them on.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I think there doesn’t seem to be anything around to tempt me away from the old faithful Mavics.

scotroutes

Having looked around myself and followed a few threads like this I’ve come to much the same conclusion 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

TN319 here too on my Vaya, seemed a good all round compromise to me.

+1

719s are nicer, lighter and more expensive. i have a pair of both. the biggest difference is the ~50g. not sure that matters too much on a tourer?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘700c Touring Rims, disks?’ is closed to new replies.