Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 700c Slop Tyres
  • k1100t
    Free Member

I’ve been running Conti Terra Trail 700c x 40mm on my gravel bike, but they’re crap in the current slop. So I bought a couple of cheap Clément Strada LGG 700c x 32mm for road duties, but shredded them after five rides. I was back out on the Conti’s today and was thinking as I slithered and slid all over a flat byway that I’d gone the wrong way. Rather than slick road tyres, I should’ve bought some proper 700c mud tyres.

So, can anyone recommend me some proper knobbly 700c tyres please? Evidently the frame will take 700c x 45mm, but I’m assuming I’ll get more choice in CX kind of widths. I just don’t know anything about that kind of tyre, but the knobbier the betterer please.

a11y

Schwalbe smart sam come in 700×40 and also 700×47. My choice at this time of year.

madeupname
    Free Member

Only experience is in CX sizes but Schwalbe x one bite seem to work well.

Run down to low 20s psi tubeless with no issues and seem to grip well, and plenty of others out on the local courses.

Cope with mud, loam, snow and seem ok on road for a couple of commutes. Can’t comment on longevity with road use though

aP
    Free Member

Planet X had some Bruce Gordon Rock’n’Roll in 700c X 42mm. They’re versatile enough and work well in mud – except for slimy mud but then again not much does.

qwerty
    Free Member

For mud I’ve found Vittoria Terreno Wets pretty good, available in 31/33/40c.

kilo

+1 terreno wets, using 40c at present

shedbrewed
    Free Member

“Schwalbe smart sam come in 700×40 and also 700×47. My choice at this time of year.“

I have a pair unused in the shed if anyone wants to make an offer for them. 700x47c

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a terrano wet upfront and smart sam out back.

Rasons:
    1) a 40mm terrano wet doesnt leave much mud room
    2) a 33mm terrano wet was £45, the 40mm was £26. A smart sam is £12.

The schalbe isn’t as magically grippy as the terrano sprinting up a muddy bank, but it’s acceptable and rolls and corners well.

ferrals
    Free Member

I also like the terreno wet for mud – I find them better in most conditions that the clement pdx i had before. The knob spacing is also good for avoiding any oddness on firmer surfaces – i used to find the pdx disconcerting when half lent over on hard surfaces as there was a lot of blank space on the tyre there for mud clearnace

breninbeener

Terreno wet here. Ace.

k1100t
    Free Member

Thanks all, I had the Terrano Wet on my short list after a cursory look last night. Will have a look at the Smart Sam too.

Anyone tried the Michelin Power Cyclocross Mud…? They’re a bit narrower than I’d like, but the fancy green has peaked my interest.

@madeupname
    Those G-One Bite don’t look like they’d give me anything over my current Conti’s. Plus, I’ve dinged my rim at 40psi, so there’s no way I’m going to 20psi…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The Michelin were the go-to mud tyre for ages, but as you say only available in really narrow sizes.

I’ve got my steel beaded smart-sam setup tubeless too which is a bonus.

madeupname
    Free Member

Conti terra trail seem similar to G One Bite. Flat round tread blocks.

I run X One Bite – much taller knobs, very different

X One bite

As said they find grip in thin mud, claggy mud and snow…

k1100t
    Free Member

@madeupname apologies, missed the all important X there. They do indeed look beefier, shame they only come in 33mm width…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

But in slop don’t you want a slimmer width knobbly tyre to increase the pressure on the knobbly bits, to find some traction in the slop? I thought that’s the whole principle of why X One Bites work, whereas say 4.8″ Jumbo Jims would leave you like Bambi on ice.

scaredypants

I know it’s from “they who shall not be named” for some but these are good on the back

https://dev.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYCLBOSF/clement-bos-folding-tyre-700c

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But in slop don’t you want a slimmer width knobbly tyre to increase the pressure on the knobbly bits, to find some traction in the slop? I thought that’s the whole principle of why X One Bites work, whereas say 4.8″ Jumbo Jims would leave you like Bambi on ice.

In principal yes, in reality a 40mm tyre sinks into the mud just as well. CX mud tyres come in narrower options (e.g. 30mm instead of whatever the UCI maximum is) because it gives more clearance.

I suppose it’s probably faster in proper CX too as you’re only pushing 90% of the of mud out of the way.

Outside the race course I think 40mm is probably quicker off road, as typically the real world isn’t smooth, or generally as muddy.

trailwagger
    Free Member

WTB resolute, or nano

househusband

If only Vittoria offered the Terreno Wet in a 650b in a 47 to 50 width…

k1100t
    Free Member

If only Vittoria offered the Terreno Wet in a 650b in a 47 to 50 width…

I’d settle for finding somewhere that actually has the Vittoria Terreno Wet 700c x 40mm in-stock!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘700c Slop Tyres’ is closed to new replies.