Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 700c disc wheels
  • wors

What options are there? Light cheap etc 😀

ta

cyclistm
    Free Member

centre lock or 6 bolt?

spawnofyorkshire

i’m after the same thing, would prefer 6 bolt but centre-lock isn’t a problem

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nedrapier

Depends on how cheap cheap is. Road or mtb spacing?

With mtb spacing you could go Open Pro on a2z.

GeForceJunky

Hope Hoops with Crest 29 rims if you want 135mm rear.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I’m running Mavic Speedcity disc wheels on the commuter. Good strong factory wheel.

MM

reggiegasket
    Free Member

for road, CX or 29ing? In other words, what tyres?

spawnofyorkshire

i’ve got deore hubs on the bike atm so i’m assuming mtb spacing. Just bought the bike off my mate and it’s currently set up for v-brakes but will take disc’s. I’ve got all the bits i need except the wheelset

wors

They’re for the commuter, which is a dew drop. 6 bolt. Use it off road too so need to be able to fit cx tyres on. currently have 700 x 37 tyres on there.

nedrapier

Open Pro and however much you want to spend on hubs, then. Strong road rim that’s been used on CX racers for years, so well proven. Will take 2.0″ 29er tyres if you fancy, too.

Open Pro CD if you don’t want the silver braking surface.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Velocity A23 rims are available with NMSW, marginally lighter than Open Pros in theory too. H Plus Son Archtype rims look tasty aswell.
    Pick your hub dependant on your budget. I’m going for SP dynamo front and probably Hope Pro2 rear.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Superstar have some ready made ones now
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=79&products_id=623

I built mine though, novatec hubs, halo aerotrack rims.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what bandito said

or look at the superstar 29er wheelsets – might be okay with narrower tyres.

FWIW 29er Crest with Conti 28mm road tyres are VERY tight. Metal tyre lever time.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Got a pair of SpeedCity’s, as Mountain Mutant, and a pair of Open Pro on XT’s (both cente lock) for my commuter. SpeedCity’s feel faster and stiffer, but the Open Pros are marginally lighter and the XT hubs are better sealed so I swap between the two for summer/winter. Both seem equally bombproof.

teasel
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at those particular rims. What kind of terrain are you riding on and how are they holding up…?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I must be getting old, i thought you mean time trial wheels like zipps!

Disk brakes on a road bike, whatever next. You will be telling me they do 700c wheels on a mountain bike soon. 😆

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the Whyte commuter bikes run the Alex Black Dragon rims (same a the Superstar rims) with road tyres so they sound like they’ll be okay.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at those particular rims. What kind of terrain are you riding on and how are they holding up…?

Using Aerotack’s on the Alfine commuter – ~7000k and no issues on a mix of road and cyclepaths. The spoke holes are not reinforced and the powder coating has crazed there (probably from oxidation of the rim), but as I say, no issues.

bails

FWIW 29er Crest with Conti 28mm road tyres are VERY tight. Metal tyre lever time.

My 25mm Conti gp4seasons go on my 29er Crests with plastic (pedros and decathlon own brand) levers.

monkeyp

I have upgraded to a set of Fulcrum XL29er wheels from bike-discount.de. They were only about £160 and appear to be an absolute bargain. Very nice set of wheels for the money

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

No issues with my aerotracks. Mostly get used for commuting, sometimes with heavy panniers. They look nice too as theres no braking surface.

teasel
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s one of the reasons I was looking at them. But the following…

spoke holes are not reinforced and the powder coating has crazed there (probably from oxidation of the rim),

…makes my vain side shudder. I’ve been reading the pros and cons of eyelet versus no eyelet and it seems to be fine without as long as the rim has a fair amount of metal – v-shape rims (a la Aerotracks) being suggested as ideal.

I’m thinking the Open Pro will look better in the long run as they’re anodised as opposed to the powder-coating of the Halo’s.

Edit : Just had a gander at their site and it claims they’re anodised so it’s all go for the Aerotracks. Lighter than the Open Pros, too, apparently (realworld weights).

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Edit : Just had a gander at their site and it claims they’re anodised so it’s all go for the Aerotracks. Lighter than the Open Pros, too, apparently (realworld weights).

Most of the colours are anodised…. mine are white, which given the thickness of it, I am pretty sure is a powdercoat or paint.

You are right about the Open Pro’s – have a pair of rims that are well over 10 years old, have outlived two sets of hubs and, because they have only ever been used disc-only, look pretty much as they did on day one.

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

I’ve just been through the same decision and went for a pair of XT hubs on open pro rims from overspoke bikes on eBay. Paid £165 delivered…

cheers_drive

monkeyp – Member
    I have upgraded to a set of Fulcrum XL29er wheels from bike-discount.de. They were only about £160 and appear to be an absolute bargain. Very nice set of wheels for the money

What are you using them for CX or road?
    I’m looking for some lighter wheels for my CdF (raod and cx use) but do not want to spend more than £200, maybe £250. That rules out handbuilt as unless the componets are heavy and low spec (shame that I can’t wheel build as the Novatec / H Plus Son’s look ideal).
    Had been considering the Kinesis CX disc wheels which get a good review on road cc, the rims are lardy at 550g (Open Pros are 430g) http://road.cc/content/review/69946-kinesis-crosslight-cxdisc-wheels.

cheers_drive

Stan_Dingup – Member
    I’ve just been through the same decision and went for a pair of XT hubs on open pro rims from overspoke bikes on eBay. Paid £165 delivered…

Wow that’s a good price, less than the rims and hubs on their own

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

Yes, my plan was to build myself but these came up and I couldn’t resist…

Worth having a chat with the guy at http://www.overspoke.com for a quote as they do look very well put together.

Cheers…

PS. I have no connection with these guys whatsoever other than having bought the wheels!

teasel
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, Bristolbiker.

I had a chat with the LBS mech today and again I’ve swung back toward the Open Pro’s. Thinking of a DT 240 straight pull on a CD rim.

Don’t compromise – customise…!

Del

hmm. straight pull for discs?
    also not had good personal experience of 240s and they require tools for servicing, so if i were cynically minded i could see why your lbs man might recommend them…
    3 cross and hope or shimano depending upon your cartridge or cup&cone prejudices.

teasel
    Free Member

No, he didn’t recommend that particular set-up, though I can see why you thought that from my post. It was merely a brainfart that I’ll discuss with JRA/Merlin sometime next week. No doubt they’ll suggest a disc wheel will be better with three cross and a 32 spoke count or some such standard.

Having said that, Crossmax is a disc/straight-pull affair and I can’t say I’ve heard of them failing for that reason. Maybe I just haven’t researched thoroughly enough.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Straight pull is fine discs, you just need to avoid radially-laced.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘700c disc wheels’ is closed to new replies.