• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 700c Commuter tyres, Marathons, GP4?
  • scruff
    Free Member

My Marathons have been on for about 3 years and are looking pretty worn, I really like the minimal punctures I’ve had but would consider something similar if anything else is as good. CRC have them on for £25 each all sizes, or maybe Conti GP4s for a tenner more, anything else to look at around £50 a pair?
    Will be ridden on tarmac, gravel, cattle grids & cowshit. Rolling resistance not as important as puncture resistance.

MoreCashThanDash

My Conti Sport Contacts were pretty bombproof on a 24 mile a day towpath and cycle path commute. Haven’t actually checked if they are still available as they don’t need replacing yet.

brassneck

Seems a good price for the value you’ve had.

My faves were Michelin Pro3 Endurance (think there is a Pro4 now), though I think they might be a bit more performance biased over reliability, I only had 1 puncture in a couple of years use.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I had the GP 4 seasons on my Pompetamine and suffered endless punctures. I think once the protective strip is pierced once it soon deteriorates. Replaced them with Marathon Plus’s after recommendations on here and not one flat. Got them on the XLS now and so far they too have remained un-punctured.
    They’re a heavier tyre than the GP4’s but once you’re rolling that disappears.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I have a Marathon Plus up front on about its 3rd year and Vittoria Randonneur on the rear. The previous Randonneur lasted about 8-9 months before the puncture proof layer started showing but they were about a 1/3rd of the price of the Marathon plus.
    They aren’t as hard wearing but they are cheaper and seem to have similar puncture resistance – this is on roads and towpaths around Birmingham.

TiRed

Same again, or Durano Plus if you want a little more speed for road duties. Both available in 28c. Have ridden Durano Plus on gravel ok, but it is really a road tyre. Has exactly the same puncture protection.

scotroutes

Marathons are a pretty good compromise between the bullet-proof Marathon Plus and the GP 4 Season. I’ve even taken to touring on them rather than put up with the (albeit infrequent) hassle of punctures. As a winter commuting tyre, I reckon they can’t really be beaten.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve just switched from Marathon Pluses to Durano Pluses and they seem like a pretty solid middle ground between puncture protection and a bit more pace/nicer feel.

theflatboy
    Free Member

craigxxl – Member

I had the GP 4 seasons on my Pompetamine and suffered endless punctures.

Same for me (even the bike model!) – I had been getting unacceptable amounts of punctures with GP4 season, and always on the back. I’ve replaced it with a Gatorskin which is holding fast for now, but it’s fairly early days…

njee20
    Free Member

For balance, I use 4 Seasons and find them good – grippy, durable, very few punctures!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve been using gp 4seasons for a good few years now after trying various tyres on my commuter. As above they work well for me but I do get the occasional puncture – usually glass. But very occasional.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Will be ridden on tarmac, gravel, cattle grids & cowshit. Rolling resistance not as important as puncture resistance

= Marathons Or (marathon racers)

Will be ridden on tarmac, gravel, cattle grids & cowshit. Rolling resistance is not as important as puncture resistance

= GP4

Marathons IMHO for what your doing will give you the best all round performance.

Personally is use Gator hardskins in summer and Top contacts in winter.

craigxxl
    Free Member

theflatboy – Member

craigxxl – Member

I had the GP 4 seasons on my Pompetamine and suffered endless punctures.

Same for me (even the bike model!) – I had been getting unacceptable amounts of punctures with GP4 season, and always on the back. I’ve replaced it with a Gatorskin which is holding fast for now, but it’s fairly early days…

At least I gained mad speed skills in changing the tube considering it was an Alfine hub bike complete with full mudguards. The final straw was 3 punctures within 8 miles on the way out, another on the return journey and typically when it was raining much to my mates amusement. I thought I was going to end up running out of patches before I got home.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

There’s quite a big difference between the two, the marathon is around 750g, and the GP4 around 250g. Deffo try and find some middle ground.

I found the GP4 fine until i moved to London, then started getting punctures.

Now using some Halo Twin Rails 29mm tyres and they’re holding up ok at the moment.

scotroutes

560g for a Marathon in 700x28C.

And £19.99 at CRC

Saccades
    Free Member

At least I gained mad speed skills in changing the tube considering it was an Alfine hub bike complete with full mudguards. The final straw was 3 punctures within 8 miles on the way out, another on the return journey and typically when it was raining much to my mates amusement. I thought I was going to end up running out of patches before I got home.

I’m running specialized armadillo (elites?), for a 50km commute on the back end of no-where country roads covered in pot holes and cow shite for 9 months of the year. 1 puncture in 2 years – took me a while to remember how to get my alfine wheel off.

They are heavier and slower than the Pave I run the other 3 months of the year but it’s not a fair comparison. Planning to fit more when these die.

njee20
    Free Member

I found the GP4 fine until i moved to London, then started getting punctures

I’m gonna say this, because I don’t do it anymore, but in 3 years of commuting to and from London I got one puncture.

Generally get about 1 flat every 3000 miles or so, which I can cope with!

benp1

Used to run bontrager hard cases which were good

Now run some Specialized armadillos and found them to be good as well, maybe a touch better. It’s only a hack/commuter bike but I love it

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

560g for a Marathon in 700x28C.

ah, i meant marathon plus

timba
    Free Member

GP 4-seasons on my bike
    Comparative test here if you like numbers (c. 2011) Test
    Only available in 23, 25 and 28mm
    Tread compound is good in low temperatures and the wet
    My 2p-worth

wilburt
    Free Member

Completely different tyres for different type of use.
    I have GP4 seasons on my carbon road bike which have just done 10000k without a puncture and marathons on my commuter do it all bike which I’ll expect similar reliability.
    The marathons though are heavy to get going and dull to ride the contis are probably the best tyre I ever found but not for s daily use commuter.

boblo
    Free Member

Standard Marathons £16 per at Spa…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘700c Commuter tyres, Marathons, GP4?’ is closed to new replies.