Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 700 x 28c Tyre on a Stans Crest rim, will it work?
  • c_klein87

I’m off to the Italian Alps next week for xc & road riding, I was planning on taking road and xc bikes, but more time on my xc bike the better, so will a 28c width tyre work on my spare 29ers crest rims? not so worried about tubeless, more getting to run on the rim properly. I don’t want to run anything too wide as i’ll never keep up with the road bikes!

http://chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.com/

matthew_h
    Free Member

In my experience, although there is no real reason it wouldn’t work, you’ll more than likely not even get the tyre to go on the rim

benman
    Free Member

Currently got 700 x 30C on Stans Iron Cross rims, so not a whole lot of difference from the setup you are considering.

c_klein87

cool ok, what 700 x 30c tyre are you using?

trail_rat
    Free Member

will work BUT you need to watch your pressures.

ie – most 28c tires will have a min pressure higher than the stans can take on paper and youll possibly get pinches going low in narrow tires

matthew_h
    Free Member

Iron Cross rims are designed for narrower tyres and will mount road tyres fine. Crests really aren’t. If you can get them on then great but we haven’t managed it yet

trail_rat
    Free Member

i put my schwalbe marathon ice spikes on for the puffer on my arch 29….

i also broke the law by putting 60 psi in 😉

i havnt died – yet.

Onzadog
    Free Member

According to schwalbe, on a rim with a 21mm internal width like the crest, the narrowest tyres is 35mm.

As for the pressure, the limit on stans rims is for running tubeless. When I asked stans about road tyres on arch rims I was told I can go to the tyres maximum rating when running tubes.

bails

I’m using 25mm Conti GP4Seasons, and was using 25mm Gatorskins before that on Crest 29ers, on my CX commuter. I’ve done at least 2 thousand miles on that setup with no problems.

I was told by Stans that the pressure limits only apply to tubeless tyres.

The tyres are tight, but I can get them on and off with normal (Pedros and Decathlon own brand, not DH metal things) tyre levers.

Matthew_h obviously isn’t very good at fitting tyres 😉

matthew_h
    Free Member

Lol, fair enough.

I did say in my experience which is based on a number of sets but hey, if you can get them on then great. I’d suggest trying in plenty of time before they’re needed though.

c_klein87

interesting view thanks guys! might try a conti gatorskin then, tubes are fine, wasn’t worried by tubeless. might just need some soapy water so everything can slide around into place

bails

Lol, fair enough.

I did say in my experience which is based on a number of sets but hey, if you can get them on then great. I’d suggest trying in plenty of time before they’re needed though.

Like I said, it wasn’t particularly easy, having to get it on and off to fix a puncture at the roadside during winter would have been a right PITA but luckily I didn’t have to.

I would agree with what you said too, make sure you (the OP) can get the tyres on/off before you go abroad.

antigee

bails – Member
    I’m using 25mm Conti GP4Seasons, and was using 25mm Gatorskins before that on Crest 29ers, on my CX commuter. I’ve done at least 2 thousand miles on that setup with no problems.

i get a bit puzzled by this – lots of people run skinny tyres on crest29ers but crest state a minimum think 32mm? so why?
    just bought a second set of wheels for cx and would have bought crests based on availability and flexibility but ultimately i get worried abot losing a tyre on a big descent

edit similar this road cc review/blurb paste for kinesis cx wheelset say similar – plenty of experience of running below 28mm but not actually in spec
    http://road.cc/content/review/69946-kinesis-crosslight-cxdisc-wheels

tk46hal
    Free Member

No problem putting Marathon plus 28mm on my 29er Crests but they take some getting on. I ran them with tubes at 80lb pressure. If you got a puncture though, you would have to call out the A-Team.

bails

i get a bit puzzled by this – lots of people run skinny tyres on crest29ers but crest state a minimum think 32mm? so why?

Because I needed (wanted 😉 ) some lighter wheels as the stock ones were well over 2kg. I could have spent the same on heavier road rims with an ugly brake track. But they might not have been comfortable with the 35mm CX and Winter Marathon tyres, as I’d heard people saying the Crests were fine with 25 and 28mm tyres I went with them. Even built them myself and they’ve stayed dead true. 😯

antigee

cheers Bails – think i might not have worded it right – what i meant to say is why do the manufacturers limit the tyre width? i presume there must be a failure that they are afraid of? – like other i’ve run narrower than spec’d tyres but would like to know what the potential failure mode would be and what sort of circumstances it could occur in

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘700 x 28c Tyre on a Stans Crest rim, will it work?’ is closed to new replies.