Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 70 mile South Peak Loop review
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Rode the new South Peak Loop recently. Nice little review on Peak District MTB

slowoldman

I was looking at the details on Peak Horsepower’s site and was surprised by the inclusion of a bike in the header photo:
    http://www.peakhorsepower.co.uk/south-peak-loop/4591186779

stilltortoise
    Free Member

That’s my bike 🙂

I know some of the PHP lot and they asked if I had any photos I could share with them. Maybe that photo will be replaced now the route is officially open and gets some horses on it, although it will be interesting to see the mix of cyclists v horse riders that do this loop.

jeffl

Sorry bit late to the party. Thinking of doing this and looking at satellite view of the route (http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/ODUyMjc=) it seems to be mostly quiet roads and farm tracks until Youlgrave. Just trying to work out if it would be doable on the commuter (London Road) or if I’m better off on the hardtail. Thinking of doing it as a night rid on the summer solstice so looking for a quickish (for me anyway) time.

Junkyard
    Free Member

just seen thread and was also wondering if it was CX able

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Whilst I’m not sure if a commuter is the right bike, a CX bike would be great. There aren’t many sections that are desperately technical and something that covers distance comfortably and efficiently is definitely recommended. The guy I rode the southern half of the loop with rode it on a CX bike and I looked on enviously on more than one occasion.

jeffl

So I finally did this route overnight on Saturday in the dark and torrential rain. Well I did most of it but missed off the section round Youlgreave as I was soaked wet through and still had to cycle home to Chesterfield.

Overall not a bad route. I used the MTB and there were a couple of overgrown sections and boggy sections where I was glad of it. I thought some of the route choices were a little odd, for example rather than staying on the manifold trail south of Hulme End it tries to take you off on some quiet roads. Also there is a section from Crowdecote to Pilsbury that has you crossing a load of boggy fields full of cows and gates. Gave it up as a bad job as I didn’t fancy trotting through there on my own at night and instead looped around on the road to the NE.

Apart from that pretty good and I’m sure it would be very pretty in the day when you can enjoy the scenery.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘70 mile South Peak Loop review’ is closed to new replies.