Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 7" tablets … big enough for short term use?
  • Aus
    Free Member

I’m looking at a 7″ tablet for bit of googling, watching movie on a 40 min commute, reading the paper.

7″ tablets seem pretty cheap, and it’s for fairly simple stuff so don’t need lots of whizzy bits. I’ve actually found my phone reasonably comfortable for train film watching!

Haven’t used a 7″ and wonder if the screen size will be too small … anyone used one vs a 10″?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

theflatboy
    Free Member

you’d need a lot of water to wash a 7″ tablet down.

donsimon
    Free Member

I first looked at the 7″ Samsung and thought it was the mutts nuts, then a pre-production 10″ came out and it made the 7″ look unusable and tiny. Unless space is absolutely critical or the price difference is a major factor, I’d go for the 10″.

cookeaa

7″ too small?
    Can’t you just hold it closer to your face?

Personally I refuse to view any media on anything smaller than a 30ft cinema screen, unfolding that makes me very unpopular on trains…

Cougar

Can’t you just hold it closer to your face?

Sarcasm aside, that’s actually a valid point. It’s all about resolution; if a 7″ and a 10″ tablet are the same resolution, what are you gaining by having a bigger tablet? Nothing, unless you’ve got fat fingers or poor eyesight. Problem is, people don’t compare resolution when making a purchase, they compare screen size.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks … Cougar – any thoughts on this for simple needs …

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Tablo_7_Tablet_with_Capacitive_Multi-To_1156442.html

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve tried 7 and 10″ (tablets), I found both were OK but TBH as I have a pc on at home most of the time, and am used to sofa-browsing on my phone, I didn’t use them much (I don’t travel enough to justify one either yet).

So if you are used to the phone and cos/size is an issue I think you’ll be OK with the 7″, but you prob won’t regret splashing out for a 10″ if you can afford it.

I’m ont up on deals though hotukdeals seems good:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?keywords=tablet&x=0&y=0&action=search

All voted cold but seem like OK deals to me.

mogrim

I’ve got a Samsung 7″ tablet, it’s fine for watching films, playing tower defence games, and general twitter/web/whatever use. I’m sure a 10″ or bigger screen would be better – and certainly I’d rather do most of those activities on a “proper” computer – but it’s in no way a limitation.

If you do get one, make sure you get a FAST microsd card to go with it, the cheap ones are bloody awful and make the thing run much slower. Not that I wasted money on one, no siree 🙁

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Sarcasm aside, that’s actually a valid point. It’s all about resolution; if a 7″ and a 10″ tablet are the same resolution, what are you gaining by having a bigger tablet? Nothing, unless you’ve got fat fingers or poor eyesight. Problem is, people don’t compare resolution when making a purchase, they compare screen size.

It’s not ALL about resolution though, is it? My iPhone has higher resolution than the missus’ iPad, but I’d rather watch a movie on the iPad. I did watch an hour long MTB movie on my iPhone once though 🙂

Cougar

any thoughts on this for simple needs …

I’m not familiar with that particular model. One thing I’d say though is it’s very difficult to judge a tablet on spec alone, especially a budget one. I’ve played with a few in the shops, and otherwise seemingly identical units can vary massively in quality and usability when you actually have one in your hands.

It’s not ALL about resolution though, is it?

Well, ok, no, that’s not really what I meant. Bad phrasing on my part.

What I was trying to say was that if you’re increasing size without increasing resolution, it’s not really the gain it might first seem, reducto ad absurdum notwithstanding. There may be other benefits too; a larger form factor may contain a larger battery or faster CPU for instance.

smogmonster

You know that the BB Playbook is only £169 at the mo? I bought one yesterday…its luuurevly.

Cougar

You could get a supported, non-obsolete device for that sort of money.

woody2000

I’m about to stick my Advent Vega on the classifieds if that’s of any interest? Like this.

Few light marks on the back (soft plastic), screen perfect.

Comes with 16gb card, USB dock and a sleeve. Running the latest version of VegaComb, but can revert to stock.

Looking for £165 posted. Mail in profile 🙂

fubar
    Free Member

This might sound wrong but here goes…I can hold 7″ in one hand but 10″ requires a 2 handed grip 😯 . Generally 7″ is great but you are still seeing a restricted ‘column’ view of most sites when browsing. Fine size for film / video and reading.

jp-t853

I think the 7″ is fine unless you want to read magazines such as ST. In landscape mode a 10″ screen is about the width of a magazine. With a 7″ you find yourself constantly zooming in and out between perspective view for pictures and close up for reading.

TiRed

will be fine (posted from my playbook). in fact, 7″ is the ideal portable size. ipads are a bit too big for daily carriage everywhere. although you may be hard-pressed to get an owner to acknowledge tbis.

mav12
    Free Member

I have a 7 galaxy tab. Think its great use it when i am away fishing for surfing the odd film and catch up tv. Ideal size for carrying about fits easily in cargo pants pocket i get about 5 hours on a ful battery

cynic-al
    Free Member

Currys were doing refurb Vegas for £130 on ebay last week.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘7" tablets … big enough for short term use?’ is closed to new replies.