Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 7 Stanes / Dumfries
  • handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Hi,

Off to Dumfries area in a couple of weeks (6th year of doing it)…..and usually do a combination of Kirro / Mabie / Ae / Dalbeattie / Drumlanrig……

….any local recommend any natural trail rides worth the effort and that are all weather….or are we best sticking the trail centres?

Cheers

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I’m not local but lived down there for a few months once and have visited a few times over the years. Done a few natural rides – Durisdeer area and Sanquhar/Wankockhead but it’s mainly double track and probably boggy at this time of year.

I’d  say stick to the trail centres. Some have off piste additions which locals may provide more info on (Trekster!)

chakaping
    Free Member

Is Mabie still closed for tree-disease related reasons?

If not, get on Trailforks and check out the marvellous off-piste there.

If you like that sort of thing.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

Mabie riding is quite restricted for larch felling just now. Not sure about the rest of the Stanes.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Middle chunk of the Red at Mabie is still shut but there’s enough open to be worth the ride.

Ae has a pretty magnificent amount of off piste stuff (ask in the shop), if that’s your thing (and it should be).

chakaping
    Free Member

James – I’ve had a good sniff about at Ae on a couple of visits this year, joined the bike shop crew for a couple of hours as well on one of those occasions so got shown the good stuff.

First time it was great but re-visiting in wet conditions it wasn’t so great. Was I just riding the wrong stuff? Seemed like it holds water a bit too well there?

jamesmio
    Free Member

Ae’s a slippery sloppery old place in the wet, no doubt about that – especially compared to say, Innerleithen (having spent all today on the uplift, in that torrential rain finding grip *everywhere* we went…).

I don’t have the skillz to get the best out of Ae yet, but the locals I ride with regularly do and love the place.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘7 Stanes / Dumfries’ is closed to new replies.